Bike tying down in a van

Anything you like about motorbikes
Slenver

Bike tying down in a van

Post by Slenver »

OK, here's the sitch...

I *may* be buying a van to convert into a horsebox. Don't ask, it's not for me. BUT... smelling opportunity, I see this as a chance to build a trackbike transport at the same time.

So, if you were speccing a conversion at the outset, how would you sort out tie-downs etc? I'm assuming the floor can be cut/bolted into, though of course all fittings would have to be flush/removable/horse-safe. I think there'll be a thick rubber mat so I'm wondering if little trapdoors can maybe be cut into this.

Any recommendations for specific parts etc?

Only annoyance is that they're all side-opening, but I'd be thinking 600cc trackbike probably so nothing too heavy to manoeuvre. Image below is typical of layout/size etc.

chillitt

Re: Bike tying down in a van

Post by chillitt »

bear in mind, anything recessed into the floor will fill with horse piss and rot at a hell of a rate if you dont use stainless..
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

chillitt wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:50 am bear in mind, anything recessed into the floor will fill with horse piss and rot at a hell of a rate if you dont use stainless..
An excellent point, cheers.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-MO ... SwSQFfMQ2I

A decent bolt down one of these to start, not that one... a decent one...
Horse

Post by Horse »

Instead of dropping the side ramp down completely, could you rig it to be horizontal, the attach a longer ramp parallel with the cab?

That would give you a longer ramp and less wiggling at the tip, no 90 degree turn.

eg:

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:01 am https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-MO ... SwSQFfMQ2I

They're a liability. They just get in the way when you're not using it.

I just had 4 metal tie down points which had a sort of trough in to catch any water.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Horse wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:23 am Instead of dropping the side ramp down completely, could you rig it to be horizontal, the attach a longer ramp parallel with the cab?

That would give you a longer ramp and less wiggling at the tip, no 90 degree turn.

eg:

Interesting. Maybe one of those rotating disc things I could lay on the floor would be easier?
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Yorick wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:29 am
weeksy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:01 am https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-MO ... SwSQFfMQ2I

I just had 4 metal tie down points which had a sort of trough in to catch any water.
If it was pushed up against the front wall, presumably I could just stick an old-skool chock behind the back wheel to stop it rolling backwards so just the tie-downs would be needed?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Slenver wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:41 am
Yorick wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:29 am

If it was pushed up against the front wall, presumably I could just stick an old-skool chock behind the back wheel to stop it rolling backwards so just the tie-downs would be needed?
I pushed the front wheel against the wood. Sidestand onto metal plate screwed into floor.
2 big straps from swinging arm to floor. Never budged an inch.
Rarely used the front tie downs.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

A couple of loops for ratchet straps should be enough, one each side about halfway along the van, then one ratchet strap from each loop to the front of the bike and another to the rear of the bike, making a total of 4 straps, the bike won't move if all 4 straps are tight.
Honda Owner
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Ratchet straps and existing tie down points (assuming they are still accesable) is all you need. Getting my Le Mans back from Wales when I bought it I used a "normal" hire van and the standard tie down points. Although it has centre stand I used the side stand initially but got it upright so all the weight is taken on the wheels

Front wheel againt the bulkhead. Compress the front suspension and straps from each handlebar, pulling forward and down. Straps at the rear passenger footpegs or passenger grabrail and pull backwards and down. Compresing the suspension keeps the straps tight.

You could use a motorcyle dolly like this https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail ... ide&pid=32 or similar for moving in the van although I would be tempted to spin it on the side stand. Something I do if the Tuono is in a tight spot.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Trying to show the hooks in the floor.

cheb

Post by cheb »

My technique in a van with no tiedown points in the floor and no bulkhead was to wheel the bike in from the rear so the front wheel sat in a cradle similar to one weeksy linked to. That wasn't fixed down, just wedged against the lip the bulkhead would have been fixed to, 50 or 75mm ish high. That kept it upright as I ratcheted the front down to strong points on the seat mounts on both sides.

Could you cut access hatches in the bulkhead in a suitable place to suit the angle of the tiedown from bike to seat bracket. Maybe have something like this to keep the separation when there's a horse in the back:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1007/ ... 1488808125

They're designed to be low profile and non snagging on a boat deck so might be horse safe.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

I used to get a bike in safely with 1 strap, a pad, and something to tie the brake on. You need 1 tie point in the front/right corner on the floor (or near the floor)

Get the bike in the van so that it's leaning against the right wall, bars turned to the left and pushed up against the front bulkhead / seat. Use the pad(s) between the bars and the wall. The only parts of the bike touching the van will be the tyres and 1 bar-end.

Tie 'something' (short cable/loop of rope/whatever) around the front brake so that it's clamped 'on' (doesn't need to be TIGHT, just tight enough to prevent the wheel turning)

Then take the strap and loop it around the floor point, and up to the lower yoke. Pull the strap so that the forks are pulled down 'somewhat' - again - doesn't need to be TIGHT, but enough to prevent movement.

That's pretty much it. That's how I moved bikes around in the van for the shop I worked for in Nottingham a few years ago.

However - it depends entirely on the van and what points you've got. The main trick is to have the bike being pulled/pushed both forwards and backwards, and to each side. if there's force on the bike in all directions, then a slacking off of any force (via movements of the vehicle) is going to have a force on the other side to balance it.
The other main trick is to make sure that the wheels can't 'slide-out' from underneath. If everything is pulling 'down' on the bike, any lateral movement 'could' cause the bike to slide out from underneath the straps. So a quick tie to keep the wheels located is always a good idea.
non quod, sed quomodo
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

cheb wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:26 pm My technique in a van with no tiedown points in the floor and no bulkhead was to wheel the bike in from the rear so the front wheel sat in a cradle similar to one weeksy linked to. That wasn't fixed down, just wedged against the lip the bulkhead would have been fixed to, 50 or 75mm ish high. That kept it upright as I ratcheted the front down to strong points on the seat mounts on both sides.

Could you cut access hatches in the bulkhead in a suitable place to suit the angle of the tiedown from bike to seat bracket. Maybe have something like this to keep the separation when there's a horse in the back:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1007/ ... 1488808125

They're designed to be low profile and non snagging on a boat deck so might be horse safe.
Interesting. We can theoretically have anything cut/fitted anywhere really. The more we avoid the floor the better really, in terms of keeping it waterproof..
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Rockburner wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:32 pm I used to get a bike in safely with 1 strap, a pad, and something to tie the brake on. You need 1 tie point in the front/right corner on the floor (or near the floor)

Get the bike in the van so that it's leaning against the right wall, bars turned to the left and pushed up against the front bulkhead / seat. Use the pad(s) between the bars and the wall. The only parts of the bike touching the van will be the tyres and 1 bar-end.

Tie 'something' (short cable/loop of rope/whatever) around the front brake so that it's clamped 'on' (doesn't need to be TIGHT, just tight enough to prevent the wheel turning)

Then take the strap and loop it around the floor point, and up to the lower yoke. Pull the strap so that the forks are pulled down 'somewhat' - again - doesn't need to be TIGHT, but enough to prevent movement.

That's pretty much it. That's how I moved bikes around in the van for the shop I worked for in Nottingham a few years ago.

However - it depends entirely on the van and what points you've got. The main trick is to have the bike being pulled/pushed both forwards and backwards, and to each side. if there's force on the bike in all directions, then a slacking off of any force (via movements of the vehicle) is going to have a force on the other side to balance it.
The other main trick is to make sure that the wheels can't 'slide-out' from underneath. If everything is pulling 'down' on the bike, any lateral movement 'could' cause the bike to slide out from underneath the straps. So a quick tie to keep the wheels located is always a good idea.
Yeah, I was originally thinking against the side - again, to minimise floor mounts really..
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I have a run of Unwin/Koller track running along each side of my van, about two foot up from the floor.
Then I clip a few double stud rings where on the run I want em and tie to that.
Track.https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/collections/ ... ack-ltrack
Rings https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/collections/ ... -stud-ring

The height of the track means I can also put timbers across the van the same height as the top of my toolsafe top to carry sheets of plywood or doors if I need.

I just wedge the front wheel against something but those brackets like Cheb has are great, I just don't have one.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

demographic wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:28 pm I have a run of Unwin/Koller track running along each side of my van, about two foot up from the floor.
Then I clip a few double stud rings where on the run I want em and tie to that.
Track.https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/collections/ ... ack-ltrack
Rings https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/collections/ ... -stud-ring

The height of the track means I can also put timbers across the van the same height as the top of my toolsafe top to carry sheets of plywood or doors if I need.

I just wedge the front wheel against something but those brackets like Cheb has are great, I just don't have one.
I guess that would work well on the far side of the van, but on the other would be the ramp. Shame they're not normally accessed from the rear, would make it a lot easier to get the bike in too!
David

Post by David »

Yorick wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:30 am Trying to show the hooks in the floor.

That looks tidy Yozzer....but where are you going to put the horse?

Such a pity you couldn't have got a plate closer to your name.....
dayglo jim

Post by dayglo jim »

Would there be any fittings already in place (for securing a horse) that you could use or modify (I've never had a horse so I'm guessing here)? Thinking along the idea of minimal adjustment if it is going to be dual use.
When I used to have two or three bikes in a van I used to rely on ratchet straps but it always seemed clumsy and I hoped I'd discover a tidier alternative.