The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
moth

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by moth »

Sorry H, it's a nice watch of course, but rose gold is my least favourite precious metal*. 22 carat yellow gold, white gold, platinum OK, but not rose.

Still it's not mine, and I don't have to wear it, so congrats on scoring a Rolex without having to wait for ever :)

*the VPD stuff is even worse
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Potter

Post by Potter »

moth wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:18 pm Sorry H, it's a nice watch of course, but rose gold is my least favourite precious metal*. 22 carat yellow gold, white gold, platinum OK, but not rose.

Still it's not mine, and I don't have to wear it, so congrats on scoring a Rolex without having to wait for ever :)

*the VPD stuff is even worse
I haven't bought a gold one yet, still trying to decide which one to go for.

Probably another Rolex though, I know it's a cliche but they're better than money in the bank, I can enjoy them for a few years and then when one of the kids needs a house deposit I can just bung them a watch to sell. Some of the other brands are nice but buying something that will probably be worth double in a few years makes a lot of sense.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Bit of a cheesy video, but a really nice watch, with a really well done and actually useful complication - perpetual calender.

The only thing that seems a shame is the date numerals paint...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My Speedy Pro is all fixed now, it needed a couple of new little bits and a new mainspring. How the fuck you break the main spring I don't know....

Comes with an official 24 month Omega warranty and a freshly polished case. They did a timing check and it is pretty steady at gaining between 1s and 2s a day which is way better than Omega say it should be. I guess mechanicals are like engines and sometimes you just happen to get a particularly good one.
Deer Stalker

Post by Deer Stalker »

Harry wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:24 pm Personally I've always liked rose gold, that type of look (rose gold/black strap) has been around for a long time and I've seen a few of the high end watch companies do it well - then Hublot did it and made it look like a cheap G-Shock - but I still really like it.

The one I want is the AP dual time and it went out of production in 2014 (I think) so a secondhand one is the only option.

I also tried on the Vacheron Constantin offshore perpetual in rose gold and I fell totally in love, it makes you look a million bucks even with an ugly mug like mine, definitely the prettiest watch I've ever had on my wrist, but it's too expensive - although for obvious reasons let's leave money out of the thread.

I disagree about rose gold having a shelf life, it's been around in the watch world for longer than I've been alive and they're all still in high demand, try and buy a rose gold Daytona or AP or Patek and most are fetching more today than they did when they left the dealers.
They all look crap in pictures, which is probably why I previously wouldn't have even considered one, but in the flesh the ones that are done well are stunning, like the Daytona, looks rubbish in the pictures but if you get the chance then look at one in the flesh...

I have this one on order but yellow gold :thumbup:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Deer Stalker wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:15 pm I have this one on order but yellow gold :thumbup:
Happy days - but they reckon anything up to 12 months wait with the current shortage and current waiting list. A couple of years ago you could walk into an AD and pick a rose or yellow gold one out of the display case, but even the precious metal ones are in short supply now and fetching more than RRP on the used market, so who knows.

I know where there is a platinum Daytona in a display case, but it'll set you back a few bob.
Deer Stalker

Post by Deer Stalker »

Harry wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:23 pm
Deer Stalker wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:15 pm I have this one on order but yellow gold :thumbup:
Happy days - but they reckon anything up to 12 months wait with the current shortage and current waiting list. A couple of years ago you could walk into an AD and pick a rose or yellow gold one out of the display case, but even the precious metal ones are in short supply now and fetching more than RRP on the used market, so who knows.

I know where there is a platinum Daytona in a display case, but it'll set you back a few bob.
The platinums will lose money the moment they roll out the showroom. One London dealer suggested they were £15k too expensive to me about 5 years ago. I did see the yellow one recently in a window of an AD in St Tropez but I have it on order at a better location.
moth

Post by moth »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:25 am Bit of a cheesy video, but a really nice watch, with a really well done and actually useful complication - perpetual calender.

The only thing that seems a shame is the date numerals paint...
The only thing that seems a shame is the price :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

Deer Stalker wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:13 pm The platinums will lose money the moment they roll out the showroom. One London dealer suggested they were £15k too expensive to me about 5 years ago. I did see the yellow one recently in a window of an AD in St Tropez but I have it on order at a better location.
The price now has little relation to the cost, it's like a bottle of fine wine or an expensive painting.
I haven't seen many, but all the platinum ones I've seen for sale used have been over RRP.

Two years ago you'd have got your yellow gold Daytona at an AD with a 10% discount, but for a while now I think all the professional range, even in precious metal, have been selling on the used market at above rrp and there are big waiting lists in the dealers.

I think anyone with spare money is looking for decent gains on it and the banks are offering just about zilch in interest.
Deer Stalker

Post by Deer Stalker »

Harry wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:25 am
Deer Stalker wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:13 pm The platinums will lose money the moment they roll out the showroom. One London dealer suggested they were £15k too expensive to me about 5 years ago. I did see the yellow one recently in a window of an AD in St Tropez but I have it on order at a better location.
The price now has little relation to the cost, it's like a bottle of fine wine or an expensive painting.
I haven't seen many, but all the platinum ones I've seen for sale used have been over RRP.

Two years ago you'd have got your yellow gold Daytona at an AD with a 10% discount, but for a while now I think all the professional range, even in precious metal, have been selling on the used market at above rrp and there are big waiting lists in the dealers.

I think anyone with spare money is looking for decent gains on it and the banks are offering just about zilch in interest.
Here’s a yellow gold, just below retail for a 5 year old example https://www.maunderwatches.co.uk/shop/p ... daytona-9/

I bought the stainless version a few years ago for £8500, they are now retailing on the second hand market between £17-£20k :thumbup:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Deer Stalker wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:40 am
Here’s a yellow gold, just below retail for a 5 year old example https://www.maunderwatches.co.uk/shop/p ... daytona-9/

I bought the stainless version a few years ago for £8500, they are now retailing on the second hand market between £17-£20k :thumbup:
That's an older version though, without the Oysterflex bracelet.
Nice to look at but too blingy for me to wear.

The Oysterflex is more sporty and less blingy.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Harry wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:25 am

What's an "AD" ?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Authorised Dealer probs.
Deer Stalker

Post by Deer Stalker »

Harry wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:46 am
Deer Stalker wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:40 am

That's an older version though, without the Oysterflex bracelet.

It is indeed, hence getting my name on the waiting list but a yellow not rose gold ‘oysterflex’.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Harry wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:46 am That's an older version though, without the Oysterflex bracelet.

I couldn't wear a rubbery strap, no matter what the flash name, they make me sweat like a fat kid in a cake shop. I love the look, alas, I could never wear.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:43 am
Harry wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:46 am That's an older version though, without the Oysterflex bracelet.

I couldn't wear a rubbery strap, no matter what the flash name, they make me sweat like a fat kid in a cake shop. I love the look, alas, I could never wear.
I'm not sure of the look tbh, but I've found that I can't wear anything other than steel (either Oyster or Jubilee styles). Anything else just seems to trap water between it and my wrist and I have a damp wrist for the next hour every time I do anything that involves water. (and the Mesh bracelets tend to trap hairs)
non quod, sed quomodo
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:20 pm Mesh bracelets tend to trap hairs
I've found that a 'back, crack and sack' solves that problem. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
moth

Post by moth »

gremlin wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:54 pm
Where do you wear your watch? :wtf:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm struggling with my stainless steel watches because I seem to have developed an allergy to nickel (or I've always had it but it's got worse) and if I wear them too much I get a rash.
A plus side is that I really like the rubber/leather strap look on watches. As I've said, the rose gold and black strap Rolex watches look stunning in the flesh.

Anyway, got a phone call earlier and just rushed out to collect this...
(crappy photo though)

Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

moth wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:06 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:54 pm
Where do you wear your watch? :wtf:
Where his boyfriends can see it?
non quod, sed quomodo