Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It does make me happy for the rest of the day, yes.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:24 pm It does make me happy for the rest of the day, yes.
Which is a good state of mind when your jobs all Vorsprunk durch Technik.

On the topic...sorting the waste..you need an AI to work out what can and can't go in the recycle bin and the number of things that have stuff on that says things like 'suitable for kerbside recycling (check with your Local Authority) etc etc. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

MK council give out free recycling bags with info printed on the side showing what you can put in them. They used to have the bags just free to take in select locations all around the town (soon to be city!), but they stopped doing that when people were taking the piss....'cause of course they had to. Now you get a big fat roll once a year and you have to apply for top ups.

One of the only things they don't take it carrier bags, but loads of supermarkets take them now don't they? I reckon CooP have the right solution, their bags are biodegradable - although I should probably check that claim out!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:24 pm MK council give out free recycling bags with info printed on the side showing what you can put in them. They used to have the bags just free to take in select locations all around the town (soon to be city!), but they stopped doing that when people were taking the piss....'cause of course they had to. Now you get a big fat roll once a year and you have to apply for top ups.

One of the only things they don't take it carrier bags, but loads of supermarkets take them now don't they? I reckon CooP have the right solution, their bags are biodegradable - although I should probably check that claim out!
They claim to be compostable now which is one up from biodegradable. The latter being they broke down into very small pieces of the original plastic. For all their posturing the Co-Op are very good are marketing and less good on doing the right thing.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Apparently said CooP bags are made from Mater-Bi plastic which meets standard EN 13432

"The criteria for the industrial compostability of packaging are set out in the European standard EN 13432. EN 13432 requires the compostable plastics to disintegrate after 12 weeks and completely biodegrade after six months. That means that 90 percent or more of the plastic material will have been converted to CO2.4 Sept 2018"

Still worse than just using a bag more than once though.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Compostable bags normally means in a commercial unit only, home compost bins are unlikely to get hot enough.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:05 pm
If that is too difficult, it's not that hard to spot speed cameras, they are big yellow things on a stick, almost invariably preceded by a sign warning of speed cameras.
I suppose they're not that hard to spot, the mobile ones are more difficult, I've occasionally been done for speeding, my license is clean now but I average one every five years.

I haven't had an accident in over thirty years though and unfortunately whilst I believe that a lot of the laws/policies are nannying, they are necessary for a population that depends so heavily on government control. If the government removed speed limits and someone ran a kid over at 100mph outside a school then some people would genuinely believe that it was the governments fault.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:24 pm MK council give out free recycling bags with info printed on the side showing what you can put in them. They used to have the bags just free to take in select locations all around the town (soon to be city!), but they stopped doing that when people were taking the piss....'cause of course they had to. Now you get a big fat roll once a year and you have to apply for top ups.

#prideofbritain
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

WTF has happened to screws?

I need some smallish wood screws for a particular repair job. They need to be round or pan or cheese head, I can cope with any reasonable driving system but they MUST have a flat shoulder rather than a countersink head. They can be alloy, or nickel plated steel or brass, anything except that horrible cheap nasty black japaned finish.

B&Q don't have any (quelle suprise), Screwfix don't either, nor any other of the local builders merchants. Oh for an old-fashioned ironmonger!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:26 am Oh for an old-fashioned ironmonger!
I know two of those....one in Portsmouth, one just outside Oxford.

I suspect neither are of much use to you :D
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:27 am
Cousin Jack wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:26 am Oh for an old-fashioned ironmonger!
I know two of those....one in Portsmouth, one just outside Oxford.

I suspect neither are of much use to you :D
Is that place still going down in Fenny?

And where is that one near Oxford, I may send the daughter with a list?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:26 am WTF has happened to screws?

I need some smallish wood screws for a particular repair job. They need to be round or pan or cheese head, I can cope with any reasonable driving system but they MUST have a flat shoulder rather than a countersink head. They can be alloy, or nickel plated steel or brass, anything except that horrible cheap nasty black japaned finish.

B&Q don't have any (quelle suprise), Screwfix don't either, nor any other of the local builders merchants. Oh for an old-fashioned ironmonger!
Don't think I've ever seen a flat shouldered wood screw tbh.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:30 am Is that place still going down in Fenny?

And where is that one near Oxford, I may send the daughter with a list?
What place? This may be useful info to me!

The one in Oxford is called "Oxon Fastening Systems" and it's not in Oxford at all. It's in Eynsham, just down the A40, next door to Nitron and my old place of work.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:35 am
What place? This may be useful info to me!
Can't remember the name, but when I first moved to MK they had a biggish shop in Bletchley on Queensway. Then they moved to a much smaller place down in Fenny on Aylesbury Street.

Looking on Google Street View I can't find anything that looks like it, so I'm fairly certain it is no more. :cry:
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Count Steer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:43 pm On the topic...sorting the waste..you need an AI to work out what can and can't go in the recycle bin and the number of things that have stuff on that says things like 'suitable for kerbside recycling (check with your Local Authority) etc etc. :(
It's really effing annoying. My neighbours keep getting it wrong (understandably contradictory information on what can / can't be recycled on labelling versus what the council say can be recycled ...) . Then the militant binmen reject bins when they spot something they don't like - which is fine, I suppose - but then all that happens is that the bins get left out for a week by hacked off homeowners and there's lots of tutting and moaning.
They should do what I do - hide anything I'm unsure about at the bottom of the bin. ;)

I'd considered making a stand and not buying anything that came in packaging that isn't obviously labelled as recyclable but ffs it just drags out the already interminable shopping even further, peering at packages like Mr Magoo ...
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Yorick wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:06 pm Watching Manchester Utd. But it's got a girl commentating? WTF :(

Maybe the bloke rang in sick :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Does that really BYP?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

JamJar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:32 am
Yorick wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:06 pm Watching Manchester Utd. But it's got a girl commentating? WTF :(

Maybe the bloke rang in sick :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Does that really BYP?
I think the daft smiley gave it away :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Anyway, it was Sarf African TV :)
Newey

Post by Newey »

Toothpaste with a screw lid.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Newey wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:00 pm Toothpaste with a screw lid.
Can you imagine how much worse it'd be with a beer bottle top though.
McNab

Post by McNab »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:26 am WTF has happened to screws?

None of these any good?

Screwfix