Panic buying

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
petrolpete

Panic buying

Post by petrolpete »

I know a load of people have been panic buying bog roll hand sanitiser and pasta along with all the tinned food (it has been interesting to see what brands or flavours people don't like as they are the only ones left on the shelf).
I was a bit shocked when I saw there was no beer left in my local supermarket earlier this afternoon.
Worrying times.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Panic buying

Post by weeksy »

It's absolutely bizarre. I can't work out what people are doing. There must come a time when they have enough? When the house is full and the bank empty, this must all stop?
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Apparently there's been an additional billion spent on food. To your point where are they putting it. One foody pundit reckons a large proportion of it will go to waste.

Don't make sense to me. Just buy what you need.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

home brew time
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

There's a lot of fuckwits out there.

You're right though, they can only fill their houses with food, sanitiser and bog roll to a finite extent. Once that's happened it'll return to roughly normal, unless a lot of people working in the supply chain get the virus at once. Sad that so much food will be wasted.

Seems to be normalising here in Manchester. I've been avoiding the supermarkets (cos of the aforementioned fuckwits) since Tuesday. Went to Sainsbury today, plenty of everything bar bog roll and canned tomatoes. Thankfully M&S had the toms.
Monstyr

Post by Monstyr »

I'm panic buying single Malt whisky but not quite hoarding the bulk supply I think I need yet. :lol:
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Fortunately the Sipsmith Gin I ordered Friday arrived Saturday. As the prvious bottle ran out last nightjust worried about the tonic now as I've only got 8 tins left :roll:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I've got 48 bottles of locally produced cider arriving in the next hour or so... :)

If i'm stuck here, i'll at least be drunk while being stuck !
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Went to Aldi this morning. First shop since getting back from France last week and I was dreading it. Car park half empty, which was the first surprise. Very few people in store. Plenty of fresh fruit and veg. Enough meat and cheese to go round. Loads of fresh milk. No rice, pasta or noodles. There were tins but the shelves were a bit sparse. No frozen veg but they had fishfingers. Plenty of bread.

A pallet of toilet rolls appeared and it did suddenly seem as if there were more people in the shoo than I thought - they were like vultures!

The checkout guy said they were really quiet yesterday (probably all up Snowdon!!) and so there was stock left and they had another delivery.

Hopefully that’s the end of panic buying. How much more can people get in their homes? :shock: :shock:
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
David

Post by David »

Which aldi was that? Our nearest is Llandrindod...until they build one in Aberystwyth.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Another victim of panic buying.. Couldn't get any No12 tubular gauze today... :mrgreen:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Apparently people are now panic buying HENS !!! i mean FFS, come on, really...
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

David wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:12 pm Which aldi was that? Our nearest is Llandrindod...until they build one in Aberystwyth.
Abergavenny........I tend to alternate between this and Lidl in Monmouth.
David

Post by David »

Aah...you are a border girl....we are about 7 miles east of aber.....we have a morrisons and a lidl along with m&s and a coop ....i do like aldi...but as i say we dont have one near by yet....i am jealous of your waitrose....sometimes one needs to see how one would like to live....
Skub

Post by Skub »

Had to queue outside the chemist for an hour today,to pick up my elderly father's medication,then they didn't have all of it,so need to try again before his pills run out.

I do his shopping to keep him indoors,but I was round 6 supermarkets trying to get stuff he needs. No bogroll anywhere to be had,because the idiots have it all stockpiled.

I'm trailing around half the shops in the area,encountering those who disregard social distancing,then shitting myself in case I pass the virus onto him,yet I've no option other than being careful,because it has to be done.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yesterday morning queuing around the block at local Tesco. Was 24 hr but now shuts until 6 am.??
Yamaha rocket 3
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

David wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:02 pm Aah...you are a border girl....we are about 7 miles east of aber.....we have a morrisons and a lidl along with m&s and a coop ....i do like aldi...but as i say we dont have one near by yet....i am jealous of your waitrose....sometimes one needs to see how one would like to live....
Waitrose, schmatrose - don’t go! If Lidl and Aldi are good enough for the Germans (they’re their main supermarkets, a German friend actually said Aldi is the better rated in Germany).....

Only borders recently. Swansea born and bred but then moved “abroad” to England for 30 years before coming back when Mr WD retired.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

As some of you know, I'm in Courchevel 1650, its essentially a holiday village, there's only one shop open which is a convenience store. It's normally expensive but they've actually had to reduce the price of things because there's almost no-one here to buy stuff! Plus a lot of us were given food by Chalets closing and friends leaving in a rush!

From what I hear from my parents on the other side of France, panic buying hasn't really been a thing in their area, low stocks of a few items, but not stripping of shelves etc that we've heard so much about from the UK !.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Jody wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:33 am
From what I hear from my parents on the other side of France, panic buying hasn't really been a thing in their area, low stocks of a few items, but not stripping of shelves etc that we've heard so much about from the UK !.
You got lucky, other parts of France appear to be following the global trend of asshats stockpiling;
https://www.france24.com/en/20200306-fe ... s-epidemic

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... irus-fears