No
29%
Maybe
21%

Total votes: 38

Hoonercat

Re: Will Russia invade the Ukraine?

Post by Hoonercat »

Victory Day being celebrated in Russia today, perfect timing from some naughty hackers who changed the name of every programme in the Russian TV schedule to:
On your hands is the blood of thousands of Ukrainians and their hundreds of murdered children. TV and the authorities are lying. No to war
Hack.jpg
Hack.jpg (117.97 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Yambo wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:47 am
Hoonercat wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:19 am Drone footage of Mariupol which is said to be 80% destroyed. The mayor has claimed that 20,000 civilians have died in the city (unconfirmed)
I wonder if Russia, wanting Mariupol so badly, can afford to rebuild it.
I doubt they care about the infrastructure, other than the port facilities and the rail route linking the city to the Donetsk region and it's abundant supply of grain and energy resources. In the short term, assuming Russia continues to occupy the city, I would imagine they'd repair only the port facilities and rail lines if needed, and migrate Russian workers to temporary housing inside a military zone. The less they leave standing of the city proper, the less incentive for Ukraine to divert its overstretched military to recapture it.
Horse

Post by Horse »

BBC report:

Summary

Vladimir Putin tells a huge military parade in Moscow's Red Square that Russian troops in eastern Ukraine are "defending the motherland"

He says the invasion of Ukraine - what he called a "special military operation" - was necessary and had been provoked by the West

But he does not make any major announcement related to the war, including declaring victory or full-scale mobilisation
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Meanwhile, Siberia burns with no intervention from fire fighters (aka Russian military).
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Looks a sthough Finland will be applying to join NATO as early as next week, doubling Russia's land border with NATO countries. Oops...
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Unfortunately, it just gives him another opportunity to tell the Russian people that it's all NATO's fault. The Finns of course have a history of invading Russia, even getting as far as the border once.

But it also means he's going to have to move some of his forces around to counter the 'aggression'.and he hasn't got that many and he hasn't got many decent forces so talk is pretty much all he's got. Apart from nukes of course.

Think he would?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Last night we had a couple come to see our apartment.
Him Italian her Russian, about 25.
Had been living in Moscow until the invasion then her and young mates fled the country.
They came here for a new life.
Her bank is frozen but his is OK in Italy.
She told me lots of stuff. Not all like I've seen here or on the news. Quite eye opening.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

A pity Finland didn't put off the decison until after Sweden. The geopgraphy means Sweden will now have a NATO country between itself and Russia, as well as NATO member Norway protecting its rear, which makes the possibilty of them joining more unlikely.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Yorick wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:15 pm lots of stuff.
Hey- we hardly need to go down to that level of detail!
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Hoonercat wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:38 pm A pity Finland didn't put off the decison until after Sweden. The geopgraphy means Sweden will now have a NATO country between itself and Russia, as well as NATO member Norway protecting its rear, which makes the possibilty of them joining more unlikely.

I'd be very surprised if the Swedes took that attitude.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Yorick wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:15 pm Last night we had a couple come to see our apartment.
Had been living in Moscow until the invasion then her and young mates fled the country.
She told me lots of stuff. Not all like I've seen here or on the news. Quite eye opening.
Such as?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Mr Moofo wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:56 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:15 pm Last night we had a couple come to see our apartment.
Such as?
Rusting T72s in Red Square. :D
irie

Post by irie »

Emmanuel Macron has lost the plot! :roll:

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022 ... in-ukraine
Macron warns against humiliating Russia over war in Ukraine.
But Zelenskyy has said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/zelensk ... save-face/
Zelenskyy: Macron asked Ukraine to make concessions to help Putin save face

‘We won’t help Putin save face by paying with our territory,’ Ukrainian president says.
But there are increasing reports that Putin is dying, such as:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/uk- ... s-23305021
Vladimir Putin 'has terminal illness and may be dying from cancer', ex-military source says

Vladimir Putin's health is currently being speculated and sources have alleged he has terminal cancer
So looking increasingly likely that a) Russia will lose this war and b) Putin won't be in power in 2023!
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Putin has had a thyroid cancer consultant travelling almost everywhere with him since 2016, it could have got worse but maybe not.
Macron has election issues, more elections next month for parliament so he's trying to win votes for his party.

Russia is going to cut off Finland's electric supply at the weekend, apparently they haven't paid their bill. Nothing to do with NATO then.
irie

Post by irie »

Mussels wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:13 pm Putin has had a thyroid cancer consultant travelling almost everywhere with him since 2016, it could have got worse but maybe not.
Macron has election issues, more elections next month for parliament so he's trying to win votes for his party.

Russia is going to cut off Finland's electric supply at the weekend, apparently they haven't paid their bill. Nothing to do with NATO then.
Macron is trying to avoid "cohabitation"*, but most likely in vain. :thumbup:

* https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohabit ... overnment)
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

On Russian state television! :shock:

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I hadn't seen that, very blunt.
I read that Ukrainians supporting Russia in occupied places are also getting disillusioned, finding that reality isn't what they were promised.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I hadn't seen it either and I'd like to watch the whole debate.

That's quite a gutsy response and I can't help feeling that Mikhail, for his honesty, is going to be labelled a traitor very quickly and will disappear for a while.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Yambo wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:23 am I hadn't seen it either and I'd like to watch the whole debate.

That's quite a gutsy response and I can't help feeling that Mikhail, for his honesty, is going to be labelled a traitor very quickly and will disappear for a while.
Hard to tell with Russia, but it's quite possibly scripted to feed into the Russian siege mentality in preperation for full mobilization. Igor Girkin, the man who led the Donbas assault in 2014, has also been very critical of the Russian campaign over the past week, while making references to there not being enough Russian soldiers in Ukraine to achieve the goals.
irie

Post by irie »

Putin/Russia's dilemma.

Reported that 1/3 of the Russian army in operation against Ukraine has "been lost". So of 180,000 that's 60,000, which going by previous ratios means about 40,000 dead and 20,000 injured.

The Ukrainian regular army is about 100-150,000. A further 900,000 men can be called up of which 300,000 have previously served in the Donbas.

So remaining Russian forces of perhaps 120,000 have a huge numerical disadvantage to a potential Ukrainian force of over 1 million which furthermore can be armed with highly effective Western weapons.

Russia, to try to avoid losing the war against Ukraine, would have to do a general call up and recruits would take many months to train. Such a call up would require war to be declared. But against who? Ukraine, a country with a population of 44m that hasn't set foot on Russian soil?

The economic damage would be huge as would the loss of face.

A dilemma indeed.