Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
DefTrap

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by DefTrap »

My eldest had a terrible diet (and no amount of persuasion would change it) as a kid and was a bit of (let's be frank) a lardarse as a result. By rights children, with all that energy and growing to do, should be as thin as whippets. I recall in desperation us going to the GP about it and was told, rather too sarcastically I thought, that children in the UK didn't die of malnutrition any more. This was before Boris and food banks of course, where you were automatically adjudged a bad parent rather than a victim of government policy AND a bad parent. You could probably get struck off for that sort of attitude now.

But, having said that, as an adult my eldest eats like a normal, balanced hooman these days and isn't a fatty - so maybe it's me that should be less judgemental of twatty, unhelpful GPs.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The Works Party.

Everyone across Europe has been invited to a dinner dance in Romania.

Not that bothered about going, but thought it would look better if I attended. After work on Friday we'll all be mini bussed to Luton (from Rotherham) and then fly to Cluj. Then another mini-bus to the hotel.

The flight back is on the Sunday, again flying in our own time and we're expected to be at work on Monday.

All fine. They're paying, etc.. the party might be fun.

Got an email this morning, There's going to be 'trainings sessions' on the Saturday that are mandatory. For some reason this has just boiled my piss to the extent I'm this <-> far from telling them to shove it.

The idea of the sessions was suggested in a previous meeting, but I was told it wouldn't be mandatory and we'd get a chance to have a look around Cluj on the Saturday before the evening party.

Am I just a miserable bastard?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:27 pm The Works Party.

Not that bothered about going, but thought it would look better if I attended. After work on Friday we'll all be mini bussed to Luton (from Rotherham) and then fly to Cluj. Then another mini-bus to the hotel.

The flight back is on the Sunday, again flying in our own time and we're expected to be at work on Monday.

All fine. They're paying, etc.. the party might be fun.

Got an email this morning, There's going to be 'trainings sessions' on the Saturday that are mandatory. For some reason this has just boiled my piss to the extent I'm this <-> far from telling them to shove it.

The idea of the sessions was suggested in a previous meeting, but I was told it wouldn't be mandatory and we'd get a chance to have a look around Cluj on the Saturday before the evening party.

I'd not be happy about that, they are taking the piss.
My company does similar things but it always eats into more company time than my time so I don't object, a bit of sight seeing is the only thing that sounds good in all of that.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:27 pm After work on Friday we'll all be mini bussed to Luton (from Rotherham) and then fly to Cluj. Then another mini-bus to the hotel.
Yeah, I'm out. I have a medical condition that means I would be unable to control how I feel about travelling to Luton after work on a minibus.

And, yes, if you want me to do a work thing that involves travel, then that's your time not mine.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

My company has been bought by another so I'm doing new joiner stuff, the new contract is 90 pages long!
As it's so verbose I expected it to be clear but there are a few concerning ambiguous points and references to documents it says I have been provided with but I've never seen.
It feels like a scam.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The idea of the sessions was suggested in a previous meeting, but I was told it wouldn't be mandatory.

Would Sir like details for medical equipment providers, specifically for a catheter and bucket, to pass on to management?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Romania? The one that borders Ukraine? :wtf:
I'd have other reasons against that idea besides Luton and personal time.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:49 pm My company has been bought by another so I'm doing new joiner stuff, the new contract is 90 pages long!
As it's so verbose I expected it to be clear but there are a few concerning ambiguous points and references to documents it says I have been provided with but I've never seen.
It feels like a scam.
90 pages? That's longer than the Microsoft Terms and Conditions for software!

Q? Will they tailor contracts individually or is this a like it or lump it discussion?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:07 pm
gremlin wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:21 pm My nephew's diet....
My nephew is 15.
The kid(s) is a kid (are kids). The parents are not kids but are acting like kids.

They (the parents) are the problem.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:58 pm
Mussels wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:49 pm My company has been bought by another so I'm doing new joiner stuff, the new contract is 90 pages long!
It feels like a scam.

Q? Will they tailor contracts individually or is this a like it or lump it discussion?
They have said to get in touch if I have issues so they may tailor it but the main issues I've spotted so far are vagueness. Most are things that won't bother me but in theory half a shandy is instant dismissal, as if they want a bunch of easy excuses to lay people off.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:02 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:58 pm
It feels like a scam.

They have said to get in touch if I have issues so they may tailor it but the main issues I've spotted so far are vagueness. Most are things that won't bother me but in theory half a shandy is instant dismissal, as if they want a bunch of easy excuses to lay people off.
I had to sign a long contract with McAfee when they paid me off. We agreed that they'd pay for a solicitor to vet the whole thing.
I sat while he went through it. Repeatedly saying "that won't stand up in court". When he was happy, i signed it.

Suggest you insist on the same.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Jody wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:01 am

It's from where the windscreen wiper motor comes through the shutter panel below the windscreen.
My brothers garage repainted around the window a while ago and knowing what his painter is like he definatley would have taken all the linkage off to paint.

I'll be doing some more research today, but the little I did yesterday suggests the only way to buy that part is to buy a whole assembly. £90 for a grubby looking used one!

My brother has since fallen out with me and most of our brothers (there's 6 of us). He won't pay me for work I did for him last year so the chances of him paying for this are zero :(
Looks like a 20mm conduit nipple and lock nut.
If it's literally just what it looks like in your hand then that'll be about a quid from an electrical factors.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

The total lack of maintenance on the suspension of the Triumph. Rusted to bits and jammed solid. But I've got bits coming and sourced other bits which are with me already that will give me a sparkling new setup. But it needs to fit nicely and be kept well greased and clean. At least I could get the long bolt out without taking the exhaust off, but remains to be seen if I need new exhaust washers or not.... that will be a pig of a job.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Jody wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:01 am Yep and me ....

I fucked the thread on mine as them skinny nuts are easy to cross thread on. Found and fitted fatter nuts and it worked a tread as was tightening further up the spindle shaft.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bloody music. I love all sport and love to watch old stuff.
Tonight it was old boxing. Every fight the commentary was drowned out by bloody music.
Watched Foreman v Norton and could hardly hear the commentary.

WTF ???
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Potter wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:16 pm
Jody wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:01 am

It's from where the windscreen wiper motor comes through the shutter panel below the windscreen.
My brothers garage repainted around the window a while ago and knowing what his painter is like he definatley would have taken all the linkage off to paint.

I'll be doing some more research today, but the little I did yesterday suggests the only way to buy that part is to buy a whole assembly. £90 for a grubby looking used one!

My brother has since fallen out with me and most of our brothers (there's 6 of us). He won't pay me for work I did for him last year so the chances of him paying for this are zero :(
Looks like a 20mm conduit nipple and lock nut.
If it's literally just what it looks like in your hand then that'll be about a quid from an electrical factors.
Good thought :)
There is supposed to be more if it but it's snapped off! I'll have to have a look at it but it might well be that a conduit nipple and lock nut will work :banana-wrench:
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

I've just received an email from First Bus:
Thank you for contacting us.

I can inform you that from 17/4/22, we have made changes to our services across Essex. In regards to 70 service, our most up-to-date timetable can be found at [link]
This was in response to me asking about their new timetable which was hidden away on their website (i.e. not listed along with their other timetables) and telling them I needed to know because i would be travelling from Braintree to Broomfield hospital in Chelmsford on 19th April.
I did eventually find the new timetable hidden away on the website (under "News and Service Updates", of course, I should have looked there first I suppose :? ) and you'll be pleased to know that I did, in fact, make it to my hospital appointment on time but no thanks to First Bus Customer Disservice.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

French parcel delivery

as per my previous whinge :(

Yesterday I was promised it would arrive, it didn't.
The sender contacted the courier whose response was "we don't know why it didn't go out for delivery today"

I was supposed to leave Courch on Tuesday. IF the bloody parcel turns up today I will leave tomorrow.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Jody wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:50 am French parcel delivery

as per my previous whinge :(

Yesterday I was promised it would arrive, it didn't.
The sender contacted the courier whose response was "we don't know why it didn't go out for delivery today"

I was supposed to leave Courch on Tuesday. IF the bloody parcel turns up today I will leave tomorrow.
Me me, I know why - cos the driver ran out of time, or, more like, inclination to drive up a mountain!!

It's like Amazon Prime telling me delivery will be tomorrow. I don't think it has EVER been the next day. I just know that delivery will be the next day, at best!! At least that is Colissimo/La Poste or UPS so I'm pretty sure it will be day 2 or 3.

Other parcel deliveries have their own schedule and that never includes driving up to a ski resort :roll: :roll:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Tesco still not having gluten free beer. Not does the one in the next town and i had to go to ASDA in a thirst town only to get the last 8 Peroni. Bastard Tesco :thumbdown: