What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by cheb »

Lutin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:35 pm
cheb wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:46 pm Tidied the shed and workshop, and started stripping down another pillar drill, This one is a gearboxed Meddings. And heavy, the column is 75mm diameter solid bar, and the rest of it is cast iron.
Sounds like fun. :mrgreen:
Especially as it's been left outside for a few years. These things always look a lot worse than they are.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Finished work for 2 and a bit weeks - should have have been flying off to the in laws but it's all good
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Got up early, woke daughter to take her to post office to collect her parcel. She bought a load of summer dresses online. None fit. 15 year old in tears, hates herself, says she is fat (thin) and so on. So gave the wife another coffee and left her to deal with it.... me chicken? Nah, I don't speak "girl"....

Life is hard with this body image crap that the world throws at young girls, all this photoshopping and fake implants etc gives them an unrealistic view of normal. I'm am not the best looking chap out there, but I honestly don't care what I look like, I just focus on how I treat people IRL. She is growing up with virtual world of so called perfection and body image. I think she is stunningly beautiful and when she smiles the room is ablaze.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

the_priest wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:45 am Got up early, woke daughter to take her to post office to collect her parcel. She bought a load of summer dresses online. None fit. 15 year old in tears, hates herself, says she is fat (thin) and so on. So gave the wife another coffee and left her to deal with it.... me chicken? Nah, I don't speak "girl"....

Life is hard with this body image crap that the world throws at young girls, all this photoshopping and fake implants etc gives them an unrealistic view of normal. I'm am not the best looking chap out there, but I honestly don't care what I look like, I just focus on how I treat people IRL. She is growing up with virtual world of so called perfection and body image. I think she is stunningly beautiful and when she smiles the room is ablaze.
My daughter was bullied at school for having a big nose. We never realised the damage this had done to her self confidence, until she started work and got a loan for a nose job. We were mortified that she was going under the knife to correct a non existent (to us) problem. Even now she has confidence issues and has pumped her lips full of filler so she looks like a duck and wears far tooo much makeup, but after many discussions and arguments we realised it's her mask that enables her to deal with her confidence issues. On the plus side she is no longer on meds or anxiety & depression. It can be a savage world out there for youngsters. I hope your daughter gets through unscathed.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

cheb wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:35 am
Lutin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:35 pm
cheb wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:46 pm Tidied the shed and workshop, and started stripping down another pillar drill, This one is a gearboxed Meddings. And heavy, the column is 75mm diameter solid bar, and the rest of it is cast iron.
Sounds like fun. :mrgreen:
Especially as it's been left outside for a few years. These things always look a lot worse than they are.
Pictures, man, pictures!

You know how it goes. :mrgreen:
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Taipan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:20 am
the_priest wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:45 am Got up early, woke daughter to take her to post office to collect her parcel. She bought a load of summer dresses online. None fit. 15 year old in tears, hates herself, says she is fat (thin) and so on. So gave the wife another coffee and left her to deal with it.... me chicken? Nah, I don't speak "girl"....

My daughter was bullied at school for having a big nose. We never realised the damage this had done to her self confidence, until she started work and got a loan for a nose job. We were mortified that she was going under the knife to correct a non existent (to us) problem. Even now she has confidence issues and has pumped her lips full of filler so she looks like a duck and wears far tooo much makeup, but after many discussions and arguments we realised it's her mask that enables her to deal with her confidence issues. On the plus side she is no longer on meds or anxiety & depression. It can be a savage world out there for youngsters. I hope your daughter gets through unscathed.
Hope your girl finds her true value and someone who sees her for who she truly is. My lass is heading out to see her close friends, and even then has anxiety issues. Breaks my heart, but I have to encourage her and love her all the way, good choices and bad. Peace be with you and may your girl find peace as well.
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Braved the heat which kept most of the walmartians at home. Didn't go to the VFW last night, so it's grilled top sirloin steak & baked tater at home today instead. Followed by cheesecake :)
Local fire is still going, lotsa helicopters & several fixed wing including one of the DC10 tankers & two scoopers... four day airshow so far.
Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

& I just remembered I picked up a 12pk of Angry Orchard to wash it down with :)
Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Sorted a few new vocals u have got back off Prince Allah and Jah Niceness.

Big things a come!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Greenman wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:20 pm Sorted a few new vocals u have got back off Prince Allah and Jah Niceness.

Big things a come!
No Sunday dinner with the old folks ?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Introduced the 2 year old baby dazzle to the concept of free blackberries off the bush whilst on a walk in the wood.

Took me ages to drag her away, she was one happy purple faced/fingered toddler.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

My scar finally healed enough that I've done pool therapy today for the first time!!

Been on the waiting list for two weeks then had the place but not the go ahead for 3!!

So chuffed! Very tired but definitely happy!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Went to a private hospital in Edinburgh to get my nose looked at (the NHS aren’t interested)

Some of the symptoms are a persistent cough and loss of sense of taste and smell...sounds familiar doesn’t it.

However I informed the hospital about those when they phoned for a Covid 19 check the day before.

Anyway I was sitting in the consultants office when he nipped out to get some forms and I coughed a couple of times. A nurse poked her head round the door and asked if I was okay. I explained that this was one of my symptoms.

Consultant came back and we started chatting. Knock on the door and a nurse asked to see him outside. Door closes and they were out there for about 5 minutes.

Seemingly my cough had caused a panic and ..get this...because I had coughed the room had to be left empty for an hour.

As it was he couldn’t do a test because of this.

The consultant was as pissed off about that as me.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Today has been full Up early, GCSE results day! Daugher is a straight A's student. Then to 6th form to be told she could not take the course she wanted to, which is a blessing in disguise as she is now taking a course that has stronger prospects for university and gives her a wider field to choose from.

I then tootled off to a Church meeting, communion service and then to bless a pub and the accommodation above said pub. The owners were brilliant, both wanted to have the place blessed and were so very generous and hospitable. We only had coffee as we were both driving, but there was the offer of a big lunch if we wanted it. Sadly we had meetings to attend straight after, so had to decline. the other customers observed silence during the brief service and were really appreciative.

Looking forward to doing more of this and also going to all the local industrial estates and so on. Took wife out to do the shopping and now I have an online meeting at 7pm for around an hour. Then beers and dinner!!
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Blessing a pub got to be up there on the want to do list :mrgreen:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

rodbargee wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:03 pm Blessing a pub got to be up there on the want to do list :mrgreen:
I'm gonna bless mine tonight :mrgreen:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Bought a jar of Shippams crab paste! Didn't even you could still buy Shippams pastes!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Taipan wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:46 pm Bought a jar of Shippams crab paste! Didn't even you could still buy Shippams pastes!
As a %, how much crab is in the mix?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Horse wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:59 pm
Taipan wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:46 pm Bought a jar of Shippams crab paste! Didn't even you could still buy Shippams pastes!
As a %, how much crab is in the mix?
Even in a small jar it only cost 85p, so I expect it was just shown a picture with of a crab! :lol:
636mick

Post by 636mick »

At the girlfriends. She has been decorating our bedroom and en suite, looks great. New carpets ordered, now to oak furniture land for the drawers etc.
Due to this I have done gardening. Took 3 feet off of 2 laurels, knackered my petrol hedge trimmer in the process, also knackered my reciprocating saw. Now got 2 green bins, a builders bag and some big branches to get rid of. Luckily, she also owns some woods across the road so it will all go into there.
Spag Bol tonight, plus beers, home tomorrow. Hoping to buy a Triumph Sprint at some time this afternoon too, fingers crossed!!
Have a good weekend all
Mick