Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
KungFooBob

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by KungFooBob »

lostboy wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:15 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:53 am Car tyres are BMP! I want quiet tyres, which is more important than wet grip, but none of the known makes seem to have a sub 70db rating? Who are Rotalla! :think:
Yokohama Advan Fleva 701 - I switched to them from the OEM on the Golf R as they were rated 67db, A for wet grip and C for economy (hardly important in the R) and I've always found Yokohama to be good. They are superb. Quiet, grippy in dry or wet, progressive and certainly no worse on economy than the OEM Bridgestones that were on there. I've stuck with them ever since.
I've got Advan's on the SL, can't remember what flavour.

Don't worry about tyre noise, I always have the radio turned up when the roof is down to make people look at how cool I am.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Talking to HMRC on the blower

I swore a lot when I knew I would have to (hence the BYP).
But in the end it was quite painless, apart from the length on-hold ...
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Hairybiker84 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:12 pm
Jody wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:14 am I'm still a massive wuss :(

I thought it would be a good ides to change the dressing on my wrist yesterday (I had carpal tunnel surgery on Monday)

Bandage off, here's my gash (copyright Noggin)

got in the shower, started feeling light headed, got out of the shower, had to go and lie down.

Eventually got my head back together and managed to redress the wound.

45 year old, snowboarding, mountain biking, snowboarding hero, can't handle looking at a small cut on his hand :(
Made things awkward for a while :D
Call them a manky looking hand, pfft amateur’s.
4C668D51-A089-4127-BE20-3AC9A310D961.jpeg
4C668D51-A089-4127-BE20-3AC9A310D961.jpeg (60.17 KiB) Viewed 352 times
F3B2999B-A955-4835-96BA-A5985C605D13.jpeg
F3B2999B-A955-4835-96BA-A5985C605D13.jpeg (83.96 KiB) Viewed 352 times
9E6E2AB3-B2E9-432D-AB46-6882307DC93B.jpeg
9E6E2AB3-B2E9-432D-AB46-6882307DC93B.jpeg (49.71 KiB) Viewed 352 times
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

I ordered a Nintendo switch last week. (I didn't see the benefit of signing up my .uk account so bought as a guests from ebay.fr.) Scheduled to be here last Monday, just in time for my carpal tunnel rehab !

It didn't arrive Monday "ohh well I'm still sore, no great loss"
It didn't arrive Tuesday "Ohh well I'm still a bit sore, no worries"
It didn't arrive Wednesday " I do wish this thing would arrive "
It didn't arrive Thursday "Well now we have a problem, it's bank holiday tomorrow and Monday and I was planning to leave here on Monday and I won't be back until December"

I did get an email from the vendor "i didn't see your order, is it too late to post it now"

Not ideal, but a solution, I'll contact the vendor and tell them to cancel.
But I can't contact the vendor from a guest account and I can't contact him from my UK account as it doesn't have the order on my history.
I contact Ebay and explain "you can message them from their vendor page" No you can't, you have to have an account.

Fuck this shit, I'll pay a little more and get one from a supermarket on my way past. Find supermarket website, they list the item, I select my 'local' shop, "yes we have these" select item "we don't have these at your local shop" so I look for another shop "we have these in your local shop" Ok I'll have one please "we don't have these in your local shop"

Fuckit, different supermarket, "Nintendo switch OLED, launches October 2021, would you like to pre order one"
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yambo wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:39 pm At the moment I'm stuck with Santander though (if they don't close my account). Maybe I'll look at breaking all the ties with UK. Get my pensions sent here and pay tax here instead of UK. Maybe.
I'm sure I've read on ex pat pages here that they get a really decent exchange rate if it's paid direct to a french bank account. So could be worth looking at that?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I find it quite apt that just before Easter we're comparing wounds to our hands.... :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

gremlin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:20 pm Sticklers for rules, just for the sake of it.

I started playing a bit of badminton again on a Wednesday evening, as my sis in law and her boyfriend go. Been a few times and my overriding feeling was that they were quite a stand-offish bunch. Fair play, I'm new to the club.
Tonight I was put in a double game, over came a serve that was outside the receiving box by a mile, so I caught it on the way down, save picking it up a second later.
'Our point!' both opposition players said.
I thought they were taking the piss. I mean, I know the rule, the shuttlecock has to hit the floor,but seriously? We're having a bat-up for fun. Apparently not, as the bloke who runs the club, agreed.

I finished the game and left. That's my Wednesday evenings free from now on :lol:
I'm puzzled. I would have claimed the point as well.

What's so difficult about waiting a second and picking up a shuttlecock? There's no point in playing if you're not going to follow the rules.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Amateur sports innit, it's meant to be a laugh, otherwise you would bother with a ref and have effing drug testing.

Same as when I used to play Sunday-lunch-after-the-pub-soccer and there was always one plank who treated it like the world cup and would try to break your legs every tackle (Like it mattered if SlightlyPissed United beat Athletico Tipsy 9 goals to 8) and would then get really arsey when you objected that it might be nice if you had the opportunity to walk home unaided.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:23 pm Amateur sports innit, it's meant to be a laugh, otherwise you would bother with a ref and have effing drug testing.

Same as when I used to play Sunday-lunch-after-the-pub-soccer and there was always one plank who treated it like the world cup and would try to break your legs every tackle (Like it mattered if SlightlyPissed United beat Athletico Tipsy 9 goals to 8) and would then get really arsey when you objected that it might be nice if you had the opportunity to walk home unaided.
But if you haven't got any rules, fouls aren't against the rules. Innit. :eh:

Or do you pick and choose which rules apply and which don't?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Gremlin, where is this arsey club? I think we've found a new member.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:02 pm Gremlin, where is this arsey club? I think we've found a new member.
New?
non quod, sed quomodo
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Rage Against The Machine never said what machine it was they were raging against, but I reckon it was probably a Tesco self checkout! :angry-cussingblack:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:23 pm Rage Against The Machine never said what machine it was they were raging against, but I reckon it was probably a Tesco self checkout! :angry-cussingblack:
Quite often I don't even get the first item through before it calls for assistance. How such a simple thing fucks itself up so regularly,beats me entirely.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Skub wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:49 pm
Taipan wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:23 pm Rage Against The Machine never said what machine it was they were raging against, but I reckon it was probably a Tesco self checkout! :angry-cussingblack:
Quite often I don't even get the first item through before it calls for assistance. How such a simple thing fucks itself up so regularly,beats me entirely.
I dumped my shopping and walked out of the Tesco near me back in the uk when they first came in there. I was on the way to work, on the bike. Only grabbed 3 or 4 things and balanced them in my arms whilst carrying my lid - got to the checkouts where there was usually one open and operated by a human. That day they told me it was all the self service tills before 8.30am - was told that by a human that was no longer operating the normal till, but watching the self service misbehave!

I couldn't wait till 8.30 as I'd be late for work, so I asked her "where should I put my helmet" "on the floor" was the response!! I did try an balance things and sort it all out but there was too much risk of dropping the lid on the floor (didn't really want to put it on the floor as it looked yucky!!).

Gave up in the end and left the shopping - started using the other supermarket in the mornings as they had proper checkouts!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Skub wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:49 pm
Locally in all supermarkets it seems a simple choice. DIY (with idiot machines) or long queue. I chose the idiot machines most times, especially in Aldi/Lidl who can pile up your stuff until it falls on the floor a lot faster than you can put it in a bag.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Self scanning as you shop is soooooooooooo much easier / more convenient and takes a whole lot less time than dealing with people on tills
Felix

Post by Felix »

Just back from Tesco. Its bad enough dodging bastards in the street with there head in the phones now its in the bloody supermarkets. Pricks
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I normally hate them. But one at local Decathlon is proper idiot proof :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My local B&Q have gone full "fuck it" and made their normal tills into self checkouts. They've just turned the screens around and locked them in card only mode so you can't get your grubby mits in the cash drawer.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:18 pm Self scanning as you shop is soooooooooooo much easier / more convenient and takes a whole lot less time than dealing with people on tills
What is HUGELY frustrating here is if the checkout person knows the customer. They will continue their chat long after the transaction has finished and anyone queueing can just go fuck themselves. This is normal practice in all retail establishments here !