Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Jody »

Saga Lout wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:21 am
Taipan wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:00 am I guess the rights and wrongs of the twat riding across the crossing are open to opinion, but that just the tip of the iceberg. They do that on light-controlled crossings and go against their red light. TBF, it's not all Londons cyclists that are cnuts, It's normally, but not always, the delivery boys or lycra clads that do this. The red light jumping and just plain irresponsible riding has become enough of an issue for me to upgrade and always use a GoPro now.

It's not all bad though. I saw two lycras crash into each other and decide to have a fight because of it. Funny as fook as they were sliding and falling over whilst trying to lamp each other cos they had those cleats (sp?) on! :D Wish I'd had my GoPro that day, the vid would have gone viral! :king:
Lycra [x]
Red light jumping [x]
Don't pay road tax [ ]

Two out of three's not bad, I suppose. :D
I guess you're just having a laugh but I have to say the "don't pay road tax" argument was always weak IMO. Simply because many of those on bikes DO pay road tax on the cars they left at home!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Plus pedestrians don't really have a leg to stand on with that argument :D
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Jody wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:10 pm I guess you're just having a laugh but I have to say the "don't pay road tax" argument was always weak IMO. Simply because many of those on bikes DO pay road tax on the cars they left at home!
The "You don't pay road tax" line is weak:
1. because nobody pays road tax. It was abolished when Winston Churchill was Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1937.
2. because vehicle excise duty which is often erroneously called road tax is determined by emissions so bicycles would be zero rated anyway.. ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Jody wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:14 am
I thought it would be a good ides to change the dressing on my wrist yesterday (I had carpal tunnel surgery on Monday)

Bandage off, here's my gash (copyright Noggin)
Interesting that you only had a dressing.

Mine were both plaster 'half' casts, ie like a plank then wrist strapped to it. On for 6 weeks.

But possibly shorter incisions, C 4cm.*

* Watching to see what he did, the surgeon cut a hole through skin and tunnel, then used angled scissors to reach in and snip more tunnel.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Jody wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:14 am I'm still a massive wuss :(

I thought it would be a good ides to change the dressing on my wrist yesterday (I had carpal tunnel surgery on Monday)

got in the shower, started feeling light headed, got out of the shower, had to go and lie down.

Eventually got my head back together and managed to redress the wound.

45 year old, snowboarding, mountain biking, snowboarding hero, can't handle looking at a small cut on his hand :(
How come you didn't get an ordonnance for the nurse to come and do the dressing??? Then you can look the other way whilst a lovely lady looks after you, I mean, changes the dressing!!!!

(I won't call you a wuss cos I nearly puked any time I saw my gash with the staples!!! I'm ok with stitches, but staples :sick: :sick: )
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:02 am
DefTrap wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:52 am Fooking hell - did you do the surgery yourself? :D
Either him or the lad from the Cornish pasty bakery down the road.
When they come to take the metal out of mine, I'm going to ask if they can do stitches!! Cos my knee gash didn't look that different to Taipan's and it wasn't a replacement (yet)! And also, I know I don't feel the need to vomit when I see a gash with stitches, but staples are :sick: :sick:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Sticklers for rules, just for the sake of it.

I started playing a bit of badminton again on a Wednesday evening, as my sis in law and her boyfriend go. Been a few times and my overriding feeling was that they were quite a stand-offish bunch. Fair play, I'm new to the club.
Tonight I was put in a double game, over came a serve that was outside the receiving box by a mile, so I caught it on the way down, save picking it up a second later.
'Our point!' both opposition players said.
I thought they were taking the piss. I mean, I know the rule, the shuttlecock has to hit the floor,but seriously? We're having a bat-up for fun. Apparently not, as the bloke who runs the club, agreed.

I finished the game and left. That's my Wednesday evenings free from now on :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:20 pm Sticklers for rules, just for the sake of it.

I started playing a bit of badminton again on a Wednesday evening, as my sis in law and her boyfriend go. Been a few times and my overriding feeling was that they were quite a stand-offish bunch. Fair play, I'm new to the club.
Tonight I was put in a double game, over came a serve that was outside the receiving box by a mile, so I caught it on the way down, save picking it up a second later.
'Our point!' both opposition players said.
I thought they were taking the piss. I mean, I know the rule, the shuttlecock has to hit the floor,but seriously? We're having a bat-up for fun. Apparently not, as the bloke who runs the club, agreed.

I finished the game and left. That's my Wednesday evenings free from now on :lol:
Sticklers for rules? Whatever you do, don't take up golf. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Another thing I found a bit unnecessary I was watching a game from the sidelines. One lady wasn't that good and looked a bit awkward. If I was on the other side of the net, I wouldn't be smashing the shots at her like I saw.
Not my cuppa.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

Yambo wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:22 pmOh stop it SL. A pedestrian on a crossing is allowed to change their mind and turn back from their original path.

This is what the pedestrian did in that clip and the cyclist clearly failed to give way. There is no rule that the pedestrian must only go in one direction.

The cyclist was wrong under Rule 195 of the HWC and in the spirit of the law. But then, he's a cyclist so is by definition, ignorant of the law.
I think 'give way' needs to have a legal definition. If it doesn't require stopping, I wonder if that would mean just swerving around pedestrians on the crossing is OK. The next lot of arguments would be about how near to the pedestrian is acceptable.

I'd be more confident in nicking the cyclist for breach of S191.
You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.
Caught on camera by another cyclist, probably a mate of his. :D
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

gremlin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:20 pm Sticklers for rules, just for the sake of it.
Amateur sports is full of them.

My eldest was a tall lad (still is) and played yoof football in an age group a couple ahead of where he was. So 5 seasons later suddenly his age becomes a problem, and I ask the coach to turn a blind eye. "Rules are rules" he carelessly shrugs as he walks off. So no team for my nipper for a year. The governing body similarly adamant. Weird people.
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

I think that is very unfair.
I remember back in the 1960s, when swimming races had age groups for youngsters, eg Under 16, Under 15, etc. I was in a club that entered some competitions against other clubs. As with all things in my life I was rubbish at competitive sports but some of these events gave points for each swimmer's placing in the race. Even last place scored 1 if they finished. These points were totalled for a team award. I think motor racing does something similar. It was a small club and often didn't have enough people for every race so I was there to make up the points. As long as I was under the age for the race, I could enter multiple races at multiple ages. I stuck to the one gender, though.

I naively thought kids' sports would still be the same today.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Car tyres are BMP! I want quiet tyres, which is more important than wet grip, but none of the known makes seem to have a sub 70db rating? Who are Rotalla! :think:
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

got in the shower, started feeling light headed, got out of the shower, had to go and lie down.

45 year old, snowboarding, mountain biking, snowboarding hero, can't handle looking at a small cut on his hand :(
Made things awkward for a while :D
Attachments
IMG-20170916-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20170916-WA0001.jpg (119.92 KiB) Viewed 184 times
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Nice bit of Easter stigmata there.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Hairybiker84 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:12 pm

Made things awkward for a while :D
Were they stitched by the work experience lad?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

My piss is simmering steadily at the moment.

I collected my mail yesterday on my return from UK and had 3 letters from Santander, one of them telling me they were closing my account next month.

I spent an hour on the phone to them yesterday afternoon trying to sort out the issues. It seems that despite providing them with lots of 'required information' a few months ago, they need more, had tried to contact me and failed so decided to close my account.

We sorted out why thety failed to contact me fairly quickly, they had my address written down wrong although thats not a big problem, mail isn't delivered to my door. I have to collect it it from the post office. One of their letters though had taken two months to get here and the others a month.

The phone number they had listed for me is a UK phone which I use to get one time codes from them. Getting that little issue sorted took 18 months a couple of years ago. But they hadn't called me on that phone so wtf knows which number they did use to call me unsuccessfully.

Anyway, the last thing they want is a statement from my Turkish Bank, with my address on it, supposedly to show I'm not laundering the money I took out of an Abbey National/Santanfuckingder retirement investment account. The cash was way more useful than the piddling little pension it would have bought. The tax man didn't care as I paid the tax back but Santanfuckingder want to know what I used it for and why I transfer money regularly using GlobalWebPay. Well it's really fucking simple and I'm sure anyone reading this can work it out. But it seems the wankers in Santander can't.

My Turkish bank have been very good though. I have a statement, with my address on it, in English and with 2 months transactions on it ready to scan and send them tonight with a lot of other bumph to show I own my house and pay bills - none of which has my address on. I have a Citizen's ID number and a residency permit (there's no address on that either). They're going to get all that too.

At the moment I'm stuck with Santander though (if they don't close my account). Maybe I'll look at breaking all the ties with UK. Get my pensions sent here and pay tax here instead of UK. Maybe.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Yambo wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:39 pm My piss is simmering steadily at the moment.
It's certainly not the way the empire was built, is it?

Mind you don't get sent to Rwanda next time you pop home :(
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Taipan wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:53 am Car tyres are BMP! I want quiet tyres, which is more important than wet grip, but none of the known makes seem to have a sub 70db rating? Who are Rotalla! :think:
Seen this? https://www.tyremarket.com/tyremantra/n ... ing-tyres/
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Taipan wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:53 am Car tyres are BMP! I want quiet tyres, which is more important than wet grip, but none of the known makes seem to have a sub 70db rating? Who are Rotalla! :think:
Yokohama Advan Fleva 701 - I switched to them from the OEM on the Golf R as they were rated 67db, A for wet grip and C for economy (hardly important in the R) and I've always found Yokohama to be good. They are superb. Quiet, grippy in dry or wet, progressive and certainly no worse on economy than the OEM Bridgestones that were on there. I've stuck with them ever since.