Inconsequential ramblings of an Old Git

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
mangocrazy

Re: Inconsequential ramblings of an Old Git

Post by mangocrazy »

Firstly a progress report on Elsie - since the replacement of the aluminium plugs not a drop of oil has sullied the underside of the motor or the floor, so I think I can safely say that I've at last cured her incontinence. Result.

The VFR has been ferried off to Mark Chittenden for him to sort out the exhaust downpipes and their dodgy angles, the KTM is going in for its MoT next week and will be coming down to France in the van with me and Wilko the cat, so that only leaves the Falco...

Ah yes, the Falco. The last time I posted up about it, it was November 2021 and we were only on page 6 of this little soap opera. Since that time I've had no less than 3 sets of bars made up in my quest for the right dimension, hacked a perfectly good top fairing and new (!) screen about to enable bars to work without fingers hitting fairings and stuff, made up longer clutch and brake lines, found that both clutch slave cylinders I have are faulty, bought two sets of throttle cables (the first set - for a Tuono - were impossible to get to work), and done an awful lot of waiting.

I had to wait 5 weeks to get the (Mk III) set of bars back from the anodisers, and I'm still waiting for the paint guy to get started on my top fairing. The race season has started and everyone goes to the back of the queue, apparently. But the bars were finally delivered on Tuesday, so Wednesday saw me trial fitting them and hoping and praying that everything would fit, even if only slightly.

I'm still highly ambivalent on the looks (OK, I think it looks a Bit Shit), but I'm hoping the comfort aspect will make up for it. Here are some pics from various angles of the bars with all controls and switchgear fitted. First of all, the front view:

The attachment DSCF3092.JPG is no longer available

Everything will need tidying (particularly switchgear cables), but I'm very pleased with the new (straight exit) throttle cables, custom made by Venhill. The throttle action is perfect at all bar positions with no tightness or binding. My brake hose making skills are at least adequate as the brakes bled quickly and easily with no leaks. Perhaps the bars will look better when there's a top fairing to partially hide them (he said hopefully). Next, the side view:

DSCF3098.JPG
DSCF3098.JPG (486.27 KiB) Viewed 360 times

When it came to bleeding the clutch, things didn't go so smoothly. I was adding fluid to the (tiny) reservoir and bleeding from the nipple thoughtfully provided by Brembo on the master cylinder's highest point, but not getting any clutch action. I decided to bleed from the slave cylinder end, which was then I noticed a small puddle of brake fluid on the floor. On closer inspection, fluid was oozing out of the small bleed hole on the back of the aftermarket slave cylinder. Bugger. My other slave cylinder has had one of its o-rings renewed but hasn't been tested for leaks. Guess that's next on the list. And now the (almost) rider's eye view:

DSCF3101.JPG
DSCF3101.JPG (511.17 KiB) Viewed 360 times

So at least some progress has been made. But it's very unlikely that the Falco will be ready before I go to France, which means it probably won't be on the road before June at the earliest. Oh well...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Ummmm words, I can't find any.

At all

Anywhere!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:25 pm Ummmm words, I can't find any.

At all

Anywhere!
I was rather afraid that might happen...

I can put it back to how it was if I really don't like it. All the old parts are untouched, that was a basic part of the plan.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

What were the original bars like before you fitted the apehangers ?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:38 pm

At all

Anywhere!

I can put it back to how it was if I really don't like it. All the old parts are untouched, that was a basic part of the plan.
Ain't my bike fella, if it works for you, go with it
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

At all

Anywhere!

It does look a bit 'prototype' and those cylinders sitting proudly up there don't help.

Thing is though, if it rides right you can always work with that geometry and refine it later. Wouldn't bin it if it all does what you want. Function first, form later. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:45 pm Function first, form later. :thumbup:
That's your big chance in the fashion industry gone,right there. :cry:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:45 pm

At all

Anywhere!

It does look a bit 'prototype' and those cylinders sitting proudly up there don't help.

Thing is though, if it rides right you can always work with that geometry and refine it later. Wouldn't bin it if it all does what you want. Function first, form later. :thumbup:
Yes, the reservoirs look like an afterthought and definitely need tidying, as do the switchgear cables. It will definitely get a chance to prove itself on the road - I've come this far with it, I have to see if it works as intended. I think a heavily smoked screen on the top fairing might help with the front view...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

91db78766ffd845b3c5360dddf5e686b.jpg
91db78766ffd845b3c5360dddf5e686b.jpg (156.93 KiB) Viewed 320 times
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Hah! I knew someone would come up with summat like that. And the smart money was on @Yorick ... :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Skub wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:48 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:45 pm Function first, form later. :thumbup:
That's your big chance in the fashion industry gone,right there. :cry:
King of the 'Industrial Chic' catwalk me. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

You def need some tassels
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Love it.

Well, obviously I don't love it, it looks fucking atrocious.

Way more interesting than slightly longer rear mudguard though right?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:49 am Love it.

Yeah it ruins the looks of a (to my eyes) fine looking bike. If you (or anyone) can suggest how I achieve the same kick back of the bars without it looking like a bag o' shite, I'm all ears. The fixed point around which I had to work was the top fairing (and mirror) main mounting points. I cut the donor top fairing back until it just missed the mounts, effectively shortening the fairing as much as I could. Then I had to fabricate the shortest extended bars so the controls just missed the top fairing and cut down screen.

The result is what you see, unfortunately.

I didn't want to go the top yoke bar riser/swept back bars route, ironically on aesthetic grounds. I may revisit that view in time...
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:39 pm What were the original bars like before you fitted the apehangers ?
Sorry, missed your post... Here are some pics of the (relatively unmolested) Falco.

DSC_5003.JPG
DSC_5003.JPG (751.36 KiB) Viewed 467 times

DSC_5561.JPG
DSC_5561.JPG (480.16 KiB) Viewed 467 times
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:29 am

Yeah it ruins the looks of a (to my eyes) fine looking bike. If you (or anyone) can suggest how I achieve the same kick back of the bars without it looking like a bag o' shite, I'm all ears. The fixed point around which I had to work was the top fairing (and mirror) main mounting points. I cut the donor top fairing back until it just missed the mounts, effectively shortening the fairing as much as I could. Then I had to fabricate the shortest extended bars so the controls just missed the top fairing and cut down screen.

I didn't want to go the top yoke bar riser/swept back bars route, ironically on aesthetic grounds. I may revisit that view in time...
Nah it's always gonna look weird innit, the bars are a foot higher than they should be :D The only other way would be proper full on ape hangers chrome stuff, which would look even stranger.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Stick the fairing on. It's what it looks like assembled that matters.
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:29 am

Triumph Tiger 800, KTM 790 adventure etc
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:47 am Stick the fairing on. It's what it looks like assembled that matters.
I'm hoping that the presence of the top fairing will soften the look a bit. Unfortunately it's with the paint guy and he can't even give me a vague ETA. So it will continue to look batshit weird for the moment.

I am seriously thinking about a very dark tint screen though.