The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Potter »

Swatches are good products and they offer something exciting to people that might not yet be in a position to buy into one of the more expensive Swiss brands. I can't see a downside to it, but the amount of frothing from some of the Omega crowd is ridiculous.

I'm sitting here in a Patek, but if someone came in with a MoonSwatch I'd be interested in it and I'd compliment them on a funky and exciting choice of watch. It's like bikes, I could be sat on a Ducati V4S but if you turn up on a 1991 CBR600 then I'd want to have a look at it and I'd compliment you on a great choice of bike.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

F4E0086A-EB20-4D11-9200-9AD0566DF3FD.jpeg.jpg
F4E0086A-EB20-4D11-9200-9AD0566DF3FD.jpeg.jpg (80.1 KiB) Viewed 843 times
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Potter wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:18 am
Swatches are good products and they offer something exciting to people ….
Yet, you’ll find very few watch collectors have any in their collection (although I have a few 90’s Ironys).
Potter wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:18 am I'm sitting here in a Patek, but if someone came in with a MoonSwatch I'd be interested in it and I'd compliment them on a funky and exciting choice of watch. It's like bikes, I could be sat on a Ducati V4S but if you turn up on a 1991 CBR600 then I'd want to have a look at it and I'd compliment you on a great choice of bike.
That’s a poor analogy. How would you react if you were sat on your V4S and someone rocks up on a plastic bike, with a rotax single cylinder engine with a label of Ducati by Audi?

A CBR600 is a good, honest bike. I’m not so sure that a moonswatch is anything but a cynical marketing stunt selling cheap tat while capitalising on the omega brand.

Call that ‘frothing’if you want.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

wheelnut wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:00 pm capitalising on the omega brand.
Ah....so you're familiar with the fancy watch business model then? :D

I agree you could call it cynical. I just think the entire industry probably deserves that tag.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:08 pm
wheelnut wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:00 pm capitalising on the omega brand.

I agree you could call it cynical. I just think the entire industry probably deserves that tag.
I think it is a brilliant idea.

£200 watches that cost probably £50 to make in quantity, loads of hype to generate publicity, everyone thinking and talking about Omega rather than Rolex.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My mate on Friendface reckons they only weigh 30g and are a bit cheap and nasty.

I think I'd still pick on up for £200.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:08 pm

Oh, without a doubt. Like any company that takes the time and trouble to create a brand ‘presence’. Have you seen what Apple stuff costs?

Perhaps Swatch, despite being a presence in the 80s have devolved to becoming a holding company for other brands. It seems they aren’t content with that anymore and have a found a speedy (sic) way of capitalising on one of its stablemates in order to drive up sales of its own. The person who came up with it will no doubt be branded a marketing genius and be off to bigger and better things.

I can’t deny there’s a definite cleverness to what’s been done, but I can’t help it reminding me of Gerald Ratner talking about selling shit.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:17 pm My mate on Friendface reckons they only weigh 30g and are a bit cheap and nasty.

Like any swatch I’ve tried on in the last 20 years. And there’s a lot better options out there for £200.

Picked up this little beauty for £95 in a timex sale a couple of days ago.

https://www.timex.co.uk/timex-marlin-au ... 600QY.html
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

ok, what about Triwa?

I like the look of them, even if they don't look like a Speedmaster,
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

wheelnut wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:32 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:17 pm My mate on Friendface reckons they only weigh 30g and are a bit cheap and nasty.

Like any swatch I’ve tried on in the last 20 years. And there’s a lot better options out there for £200.

For your grandchildren?
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:36 pm ok, what about Triwa?

I like the look of them, even if they don't look like a Speedmaster,

Swedish iirc, Mioyta quartz movement. Ok, but sort of fall between a micro brand and a fashion watch brand. If you like it though then go for it.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:43 pm For your grandchildren?
Eventually, probably. :D

In the meantime, there’s a few more in the marlin collection to get :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

wheelnut wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:00 pm
That’s a poor analogy. How would you react if you were sat on your V4S and someone rocks up on a plastic bike, with a rotax single cylinder engine with a label of Ducati by Audi?

A CBR600 is a good, honest bike. I’m not so sure that a moonswatch is anything but a cynical marketing stunt selling cheap tat while capitalising on the omega brand.

Call that ‘frothing’if you want.
It depends on whether the Ducati by Audi was honestly labelled as such and offered people a cheaper entry point into something exciting that they might not have been able to experience otherwise. I'd be buzzing if I saw loads of youngsters on them that wouldn't have normally been interested in bikes.

I get your point but we're all victims of marketing at some level, if I were to be equally critical of your new Timex then I could say that you've bought an over-priced re-release with a <$10 generic movement, a plastic strap and a Snoopy sticker on the dial. It's a £250 copy of a £10 Timex.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

If anyone is interested there is an interesting analysis by John Gapper* of why Swatch Group (which includes Omega, Longings and Tissot) have come up with the MoonSwatch.

Basically Swatch (which contributes just 3.5% to group revenue) is "an ageing brand that has lost traction among young people", the threat to Swiss watches that sell for $500 or less is the smartwatch and that 'real' Omega watches were becoming too obtainable cf Rolex so they need to generate revenue while putting a crimp on supply of the luxury brand as unobtainability is the ultimate status symbol and what sustains the prices.

*Financial Times 2/3 April 2022
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

The theories are vast and varied, the forums are currently buzzing with all kinds of experts who know exactly what's going on, but they're all saying different things.

I'm currently reading about two new secret Rolex factories that are apparently (or not apparently) being built.

In my experience anyone and everyone that doesn't make the decisions in any business, has a theory about why the decisions are being made, and it's usually because of some complex masterplan - whilst the reality is that those making the decisions just do whatever seems like a good idea at the time and put a lot less thought into it :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:19 pm The theories are vast and varied, the forums are currently buzzing with all kinds of experts who know exactly what's going on, but they're all saying different things.

I'm currently reading about two new secret Rolex factories that are apparently (or not apparently) being built.

In my experience anyone and everyone that doesn't make the decisions in any business, has a theory about why the decisions are being made, and it's usually because of some complex masterplan - whilst the reality is that those making the decisions just do whatever seems like a good idea at the time and put a lot less thought into it :lol:
One of the author's sources is Nicholas Hayek (Swatch co-founder) so he may have a better idea than most.

Ultimately it's about the choice of restricting supply by reducing production or to "attract a new generation of luxury customers to its boomer heritage" and make and sell more. Wouldn't be the first company to chase more sales and undermine brand value in the process. Be interesting to see if the Omega and Rolex marketing/sales models diverge one chasing sales, one restricting them, although Rolex says it is working as hard as it can to handmake more.

Anyway, the conclusion is that this exercise isn't so much about Swatch, it's about creating more aspiration/demand for Omegas.
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I can never quite get Rolex.

They don't make any profit right? Isn't that restriction enshrined in some rule somewhere?

So WTF are they playing at with the fancy watches?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:01 pm I can never quite get Rolex.

They don't make any profit right? Isn't that restriction enshrined in some rule somewhere?

So WTF are they playing at with the fancy watches?
They're a registered charity and don't pay tax, doesn't mean they don't pay themselves. :lol:
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:43 pm
wheelnut wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:32 pm

For your grandchildren?
There's a lot of it about...

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/watches/a ... peedmaster
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Taipan wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:15 pm There's a lot of it about...

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/watches/a ... peedmaster
I like!

Lend me £8k?