The kings is dead... long live the king.....

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: The kings is dead... long live the king.....

Post by cheb »

I only opened the thread to comment on the typo in the title. :|
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:34 pm Ordered three bags.

Better be good, muthafukha. :twisted:
Some top quality coffee is in the post, now I can only send you good beans, if you fuck up the making of the coffee, destroying all my hard work, that's your fault. :thumbup:

cheb wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:07 pm I only opened the thread to comment on the typo in the title. :|
..and now you find yourself ordering coffee. :clap:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Nope, I don't drink coffee. If you were to start doing tea blends I might be interested.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:21 pm if you fuck up the making of the coffee, destroying all my hard work, that's your fault. :thumbup:
In which case, a question. I have had, for years, a sort of Arabic, metal, hand-cranked mill that I've used for coffee. How does one know if the grind is coming through at the correct level of granularity, as it were? I've always assumed it was, on the basis that the coffee is ok, not much coming through the mesh, etc.

Is there a scientific measure?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'd love to order some (when I get home) but I ordered from somewhere recommended by Effbee - still too strong for me

I love the smell of a good coffee but even a latte I can only drink in certain places where its weak enough for me :( :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Noggs, if you want a light roast, more than happy to do that for you. The only issue, is shipping to foreign countries might be cost prohibitive. PM me your address and I'll see what shipping is like...
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:51 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:21 pm if you fuck up the making of the coffee, destroying all my hard work, that's your fault. :thumbup:
In which case, a question. I have had, for years, a sort of Arabic, metal, hand-cranked mill that I've used for coffee. How does one know if the grind is coming through at the correct level of granularity, as it were? I've always assumed it was, on the basis that the coffee is ok, not much coming through the mesh, etc.

Is there a scientific measure?
Well, sort of, yes. There is a little on my website about grinds... but, the two main things imho are "does it taste good" and "have I got loads of grinds in my cup"

Over extracted coffee is bitter - grind too fine
Loads of grinds in your cup - grind to fine
Weak & washy - grind too course.

It's hard to explain, but the best thing is buy a decent grinder, buy beans, grind only what you will use in the next 10-15mins. A decent grinder will set you back around £300-400. Yeah yeah I know... but just rob some poor punter of their pension.

If you are using espresso machine, it gets easier to set, because extraction can be timed and volume measured. A double espresso - 20-30secs. If its shorter your grind is too course, if its longer, too fine.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:39 pm Noggs, if you want a light roast, more than happy to do that for you. The only issue, is shipping to foreign countries might be cost prohibitive. PM me your address and I'll see what shipping is like...
Thank you, I will do, but won't be home for ?? months, so will wait till I'm back and can try it!!

Address is in Plagne Centre, La Plagne Tarentaise, 73210 The one I tried was expensive but I had highh hopes of it

Equally, good chance some friends will be coming out for the season so could post to them in the uk - I'm aiming to be home before December. Hoping my arm agrees!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Docca

Post by Docca »

I have one of these :

https://www.cremashop.eu/en/products/bo ... vYEALw_wcB

Its bloody brilliant. Very quiet too.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

They are brill for filter, but struggle a bit with a consistent espresso grind. Imho.

The main thing is not getting caught up too much in the geekiness - if it works for you, be it a grinder, a moka pot, French press, espresso machine then that’s what matters.

Good coffee is a thing of the gods - crap coffee is Satan’s sperm 😂. This all started a personal hobby, a passion for good coffee, and so far we are getting pretty good feedback. I was sick of buying so called top end coffee and getting pretty cheap commodity grade beans badly roasted so started doing my own and it just grew from there.

It’s always hard recommending coffee, as is so subjective. What we will do, is work with people to try and find things they like. We don’t always succeed - as with many things - some folks want top grade coffee at cheap supermarket prices. They aren’t our customers.

Just made a few blend sample for a local gift shop, he wanted something unique to his shop and the coffee he was buying was utter crap imho. Hopefully that will bring in more custom too. As we grow we can have a bigger selection, that’s the tough bit for a start up... I have to buy about 1/2ton at a time.... thats a few grand

Thanks for all the orders - hope you enjoy it folks.
Docca

Post by Docca »

Yep- my use is almost exclusively French press. I'm a very casual coffee enthusiast; I like the smell and taste but would struggle to go in to details more complex.

Enjoyed the thread enormously though- great to see people's interests.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Docca wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:44 am Yep- my use is almost exclusively French press. I'm a very casual coffee enthusiast; I like the smell and taste but would struggle to go in to details more complex.

Enjoyed the thread enormously though- great to see people's interests.
I taste a LOT of beans, as you can imagine. Two of the "speciality grade " lists have probably close to 100 different types, location, processes. We try to have a bit from around the world, and some different processes (how they get the beans out of the cherry), in a nutshell, there are a number of ways to get the cherry out, and a number of fermentation lengths, each giving a subtle difference in flavour. Some people can pick up on these (like some people can in wine) others just know a coffee they like and have no idea why. Both are perfectly fine imho. I couldn't tell you what it is exactly that I prefer about grass fed beef - I just know I prefer it - coffee is much the same.

At the moment, I am trying to find a replacement for our organic heirloom from Ethiopia... so far I have failed. I will... probably in the next harvest, but it's hard from the tiny sample you get to make a judgment on a bulk bag. You either get green beans about 25g - not enough to roast, or roasted and then you are judging purely on what someone else roasted. You can end up with a massive sack (70kg) of beans that don't roast well at all, if you're not very very careful in the selection process. For a small roastery like us... that would be disaster. You can't sell them - and you can't send them back. So far, (touch wood) we have avoided this pitfall through very careful selection. I did get caught with it when I was just roasting for myself, thankfully it was for a tiny amount and not a big amount. I threw them in the bin...
Docca

Post by Docca »

Cool, well I've just ordered 3 bags. If I like them, you'll have my subscription for sure.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

If you like them, tell everyone, if you don’t.... keep quiet 😂
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Got my three bags delivered this morning. Packaging is very classy, love the way it's personalised. If you're shallow and needy like me, you'll love it. :thumbup:

Opened the El Salvador packet first and having my first cup, ground using my donkey's year old grinder and brewed in my cafetiere.

First thing was the aroma, as was promised, not over-roasted to the point where bitter undertones (like Fergal Sharkey) start to overwhelm. Nice and light, perhaps even warm and floral. Compared the beans to some Lavazza beans I've been drinking this week. Way lighter and smaller.

Taste - call me a Philistine, but I take my coffee with milk, in a straight mug, sort of like Micheal Caine in Get Carter. Nice and smooth, and as above, no bitterness. Rounded, quite light and with a slight 'green' taste. Certainly a good breakfast coffee. Went well with the complimentary biscuits thrown in. :P

Washing up - Plonked the mug in the dishwasher.

As an aside, I think coffee, like beer, can be appreciated 'on the burp' (seriously, try it!). This coffee passes the burp test!
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mine arrived this morning also - not sampled yet as our B2C machine has a few days beans left in it, but looking forward to trying.....
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:02 pm Got my three bags delivered this morning. Packaging is very classy, love the way it's personalised. If you're shallow and needy like me, you'll love it. :thumbup:

Opened the El Salvador packet first and having my first cup, ground using my donkey's year old grinder and brewed in my cafetiere.

First thing was the aroma, as was promised, not over-roasted to the point where bitter undertones (like Fergal Sharkey) start to overwhelm. Nice and light, perhaps even warm and floral. Compared the beans to some Lavazza beans I've been drinking this week. Way lighter and smaller.

Taste - call me a Philistine, but I take my coffee with milk, in a straight mug, sort of like Micheal Caine in Get Carter. Nice and smooth, and as above, no bitterness. Rounded, quite light and with a slight 'green' taste. Certainly a good breakfast coffee. Went well with the complimentary biscuits thrown in. :P

As an aside, I think coffee, like beer, can be appreciated 'on the burp' (seriously, try it!). This coffee passes the burp test!
WTF ??????

Can we have that translated to Northern?
ogri

Post by ogri »

Yorick wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:07 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:02 pm Got my three bags delivered this morning. Packaging is very classy, love the way it's personalised. If you're shallow and needy like me, you'll love it. :thumbup:

WTF ??????

Can we have that translated to Northern?
Tasted reet nice!
Ignorance is bliss
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

There has been a trend for over roasted, this comes from places like Starbucks and worst still Nero's who both buy reet crap beans and over roast them to hide it, imho it's not even passable swamped with milk. My aims are finding the roast that suits the bean...

Really pleased you are liking it, and I mean that 100%. The packaging is new, again it costs a little more, and the personalisation is a nice touch imho, it means you can ask for "Aunt Maude" if you want and it then makes a nicer present (we sell quite a bit as presents) - as we roast to order, the beans are as fresh as it gets - they will continue to improve for about 7days if you keep as much air out of the bags as possible. Most places batch roast in huge roasters - few mass produced things are done to better the product, it's all about volume, that isn't our game.

Thanks for the great review.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Noggin wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:52 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:39 pm Noggs, if you want a light roast, more than happy to do that for you. The only issue, is shipping to foreign countries might be cost prohibitive. PM me your address and I'll see what shipping is like...
Thank you, I will do, but won't be home for ?? months, so will wait till I'm back and can try it!!

Address is in Plagne Centre, La Plagne Tarentaise, 73210 The one I tried was expensive but I had highh hopes of it

Equally, good chance some friends will be coming out for the season so could post to them in the uk - I'm aiming to be home before December. Hoping my arm agrees!!!
Shipping to you would cost £9.61 - I think. :shock: