Current affairs, Politics, News.
slowsider

Re: In todays news...

Post by slowsider »

So, Will Smith... chivalry or thuggery?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:54 am The :roll: thing is thinking that a poster is actually going to make a positive* difference. It's like putting a sign up reminding passengers that pickpocketing is against the law.
It might make potential victims think about their safety and security.

In the same way that, supposedly, a pickpocket's accomplice will say loudly 'there are pickpockets about' and all the innocents tap the pocket with a wallet to check, highlighting where to target.
Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:54 am * It'll make a negative difference though. If you're innocently staring blankly into space, wondering what to cook this evening, some flake will start screaming at you that you're staring at them and call 999.
Or, in my case, when I was having my post blood doning drink and biscuits, I was struggling to read the small print on a packet so focused intently. Nurse came to check - thought I was having an absence :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:58 am You're not allowed to call them 'flakes' any more CS, they're 'victims' now and you're a hate criminal. :thumbup:
I do like the difference though. They used to advertise pickpockets. 'Warning, pickpockets operate in this area'. Not, 'Warning pickpockets, if you try operating in this area, we'll prosecute'. To be consistent they should have put signs up 'Warning, some people stare in this area'.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

slowsider wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:02 am So, Will Smith... chivalry or thuggery?
Something like this has been coming for a while. Gervais, and others, have been using awards ceremonies to "poke fun" at their celebrity audiences on the basis that slebs are used to it and will laugh it off. There was a comment from Gervais the other year, another awards do, where he mentioned DiCaprio and Prince Andrew in the same sentence (the context being the age of their preferred partners). Could easily have kicked off.

Or it could all be part of the show, nobody gives AF about the Oscars any more right?
irie

Post by irie »

Noggin wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:55 am The thing is, I can understand where that has come from. There are times when people can stare with lust, stare whilst mentally undressing someone (which is pretty obvious when you watch the face of the starer!). Which could seriously unnerve the one being stared at depending on the situation

But HTF can you legislate against it? :roll:
Just ignore a "starer". Simples.
Last edited by irie on Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

slowsider wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:02 am So, Will Smith... chivalry or thuggery?
No doubt all setup for publicity.

Do they both have a new film coming out?
irie

Post by irie »

Greenman wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:47 am
No doubt all setup for publicity.

Do they both have a new film coming out?
I think they might have history, but in any case it's "sticks and stones" ...
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
McNab

Post by McNab »

Thing is, he was laughing at the joke then saw the face of his Mrs. He probably thought "Aw shit, I'm gonna get it when we get home, I better do something"

The slap itself looked like a staged movie slap, but then Chris Rock's reaction seemed genuine and the swearing from Smith and Jada's reaction to the joke makes me lean toward not it being a set-up.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

irie wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:47 am
Noggin wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:55 am The thing is, I can understand where that has come from. There are times when people can stare with lust, stare whilst mentally undressing someone (which is pretty obvious when you watch the face of the starer!). Which could seriously unnerve the one being stared at depending on the situation

But HTF can you legislate against it? :roll:
Just ignore a "starer". Simples.
I do. But then I've worked in pubs since I was 16 so I'm used to drunk letches. Sober letches have zero effect!! But other people aren't the same

For instance, I had a friend that constantly felt 'harassed' on the tube. She felt that whenever she was on the tube, there'd be someone that would follow her, stand too close so she felt threatened, stare at her etc etc etc. She always felt uncomfortable.

Me? Same situations, I never noticed anyone behaving like that!! The difference in our figures then would suggest that I would probably get more 'hassle' but I didn't notice.

So, was she expecting it because she felt that the tube was an unsafe environment and the flip side is that I didn't notice because I didn't care? Was she getting the 'looks/harassment' because she gave off the vibe of being in fear. Was she imagining it? Or was I just daft as a brush and didn't notice after years of dealing with letches in bars??

Like I said - HTF do you legislate against 'looks/looking'?? And as someone above said, if you are thinking about something completely different and happen to be staring into a space 'near' someone - will they assume you are letching at them? (My friend would have!! LOL)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Thuggery.
That was a fairly long walk up on stage and should have started and ended with 'words'.
Given what did happen it demands an apology, to Chris Rock.

The 'Academy' issued a statement saying that it doesn't condone violence.
It should, of course, have condemned this violence.
Instead, minutes after assaulting someone, Smith was given an accolade by them.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

McNab wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:11 am but then Chris Rock's reaction seemed genuine
Maybe he’s had acting lessons.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Will Smith isn't as black as Chris Rock so it's a race crime.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mussels wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:57 am
Will Smith isn't as black as Chris Rock so it's a race crime.
Shark Tale versus Madagascar - the zebra always comes off worse
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Somebody pokes fun at a friend of mine for having a disability or (as in this case) a prominent feature as a result of cancer, they are getting a slap.

I mean up on stage, in front of the entire Hollywood elite, you pick your jokes wisely. Gervais gets away with some pretty wide brush strokes but people can always choose not to become notorious for their choice in women (if the truth hurts), they can stop the ignorant hypocrisy of understanding "the poor".

Will Smiths wife can't just grow her hair back. Nor should that be a source of amusement for anyone.

Smiling and laughing is an animal threat response. You are baring your teeth for a reason.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

A little slap!!!!! He should have knocked him in to last week.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Noggin wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:15 am...I had a friend that constantly felt 'harassed' on the tube. She felt that whenever she was on the tube, there'd be someone that would follow her, stand too close so she felt threatened, stare at her etc etc etc. She always felt uncomfortable.
On the tube everybody stands too close to everybody else, it's not personal. :roll:
Noggin wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:15 am...Or was I just daft as a brush...
Must resist. Must resist. :silent:
irie

Post by irie »

What a fucking idiot! :roll:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... is-latest/
Sir Keir Starmer refuses to answer when asked whether a woman can have a penis
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:00 pm What a fucking idiot! :roll:

Do they think looking stupid wins votes?
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I thought Goldie Lookin' Chain had already dealt with this explicitly.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Asian Boss wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:51 pm

I thought Goldie Lookin' Chain had already dealt with this explicitly.
That's right, you knows what I'm saying, your mother's offered me the goods, I'm not paying.

On a related note, the sample used is from "Behind the Mask" which was released by The Yellow Magic Orchestra, Eric Clapton and MJ.