29%
Maybe
22%

Total votes: 41

Screwdriver

Re: Will Russia invade the Ukraine?

Post by Screwdriver »

slowsider wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:28 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:47 pm B52 Stratofortress doing exercises around Finland too. A chilling sight to see that big bird up in the air.
Two weeks until its 70th birthday :wtf:
Oh well, let's hope those old nukes haven't gone off, so to speak...
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I read a thing somewhere saying that the B52 is the only military aircraft that been flown by three generations of the same family.
irie

Post by irie »

Loving this cartoon :thumbup:
Attachments
IMG_20220326_185805.jpg
IMG_20220326_185805.jpg (518.6 KiB) Viewed 532 times
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:45 pm I read a thing somewhere saying that the B52 is the only military aircraft that been flown by three generations of the same family.
They're due to remain operational into the 2050s, which would mean a century of service!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:59 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:45 pm I read a thing somewhere saying that the B52 is the only military aircraft that been flown by three generations of the same family.
They're due to remain operational into the 2050s, which would mean a century of service!
The BUFF has outlasted the B58 (a beautiful looking aircraft) and the F1-11, also it'll outlast the BONE (B1, sadly trashed plinking hilux's with 50cals on the back of them) and the B2.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
irie

Post by irie »

When Joni Mitchell in "Woodstock" said ...

"And I dreamed I saw the bombers
Riding shotgun in the sky
And they were turning into butterflies
Above our nation"

... I guess she was thinking about B-52's.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:09 pm
The BUFF has outlasted the B58 (a beautiful looking aircraft) and the F1-11, also it'll outlast the BONE (B1, sadly trashed plinking hilux's with 50cals on the back of them) and the B2.
Because it's cheap to run, something the Hustler never was.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

irie wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:09 pm

Riding shotgun in the sky
And they were turning into butterflies
Above our nation"

... I guess she was thinking about B-52's.
I quite often get them mixed up with Voice of the Beehive
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie wrote:

Oh it’s not “bummers!”

Misheard lyrics eh.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

It is beautiful and yet terrible at the same time.

https://www.wired.com/2016/04/gods-gree ... l-service/

There’s one or more of these patrolling the skies above Europe right now. Fully armed no doubt, carrying nukes. Lurking beneath the oceans a dozen or so submarines representing their respective national interests silently cruise the depths each carrying a nuclear arsenal capable of destroying an entire continent. On the ground in Russia, their nuclear readiness is on high alert.

I am willing to bet someone somewhere is preparing a report on the consequences of nuclear exchange. What precautions to take, how to react to minimise losses, how to recover from the fallout. Not for the general populace but for the asset management company they work for.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a section in that report suggesting ways to maximise profits….

Y’know, just in case.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I couldn't sleep (not because of this nonsense) anyhow, cruising YouTube and Biden has been suggesting the US needs to get rid of Putin.

Not quite sure what sort of diplomacy that is. The Whitehouse had to "walk it back" and insist that's not what he meant despite actually saying it. Then while addressing troops he seemed to suggest "when you're there..." to US troops referring to Ukraine. Eeek. So is America sending troops into Ukraine??

Nope, the Whitehouse had to "walk that one back" too. Maybe they should send in the vice president so she can laugh at the refugees instead. At least that would be less fucking dangerous for the rest of the world.
irie

Post by irie »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:55 am I couldn't sleep (not because of this nonsense) anyhow, cruising YouTube and Biden has been suggesting the US needs to get rid of Putin.

Not quite sure what sort of diplomacy that is. The Whitehouse had to "walk it back" and insist that's not what he meant despite actually saying it. Then while addressing troops he seemed to suggest "when you're there..." to US troops referring to Ukraine. Eeek. So is America sending troops into Ukraine??

Nope, the Whitehouse had to "walk that one back" too. Maybe they should send in the vice president so she can laugh at the refugees instead. At least that would be less fucking dangerous for the rest of the world.
The election of this weak barely intelligible and frequently confused POTUS was one factor which must have encouraged Putin to embark on his war in Ukraine ...

... propped up in part on a day-to-day basis by EU money paid to Russia for energy supplies.
Attachments
IMG_20220327_085124.jpg
IMG_20220327_085124.jpg (261.93 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

irie wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:01 am The election of this weak barely intelligible and frequently confused POTUS was one factor which must have encouraged Putin to embark on his war in Ukraine ...

... propped up in part on a day-to-day basis by EU money paid to Russia for energy supplies.
Oh. Another conspiracy theory?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Biden has sounded far from weak and barely intelligible recently. Watched his speeches and he looks and sounds like he knows exactly what he's doing and saying. It's perfectly possible they're creating a narrative in response to Putin that indicates 'Think on, we're having to hold him back from boots on the ground, super whizzo flashbangs and marching on Moscow.

Mind you, I thought Johnson's press conference before he flew off was OK, so maybe I'm going soft in the head too. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I have to agree, Biden's getting better. They're going to have to drop the incapable schtick soon or it'll start to look petty and desperate. There's seems enough, far better what-if ammo elsewhere.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I agree, I was somewhat shocked to see the difference myself. He even took an unscripted question at one point, though he didn't answer it particularly well.

Makes a change for Biden to be involved in anything which isn't a complete disaster. If there is a better example for the often misunderstood phrase "the exception which proves the rule", this is it.

He was unusually cogent...

Maybe he's been topped up with some fresh blood plasma. :mrgreen:
irie

Post by irie »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:17 am
irie wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:01 am The election of this weak barely intelligible and frequently confused POTUS was one factor which must have encouraged Putin to embark on his war in Ukraine ...

The EU is currently paying Russia ~$660m per day for gas.

Fact.

No conspiracy.

Another fact: the EU currently buys over 2m barrel oil per day from Russia.

Wars cost money. Figure it out for yourself.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I have made this observation before but there's nothing better for a politician to look better than a really good war. We still remember Churchill of course and if I just say the word "Thatcher" I'm pretty sure most of us see a headscarf riding along in a tank.

More recently Ursula von der Leyen looked magnificent in her recent speech, even though she was talking bollocks. Johnson is of course superb with a fantastic delivery of well written rhetoric, very British! I wouldn't expect any less from Zelensky either, after all he was a professional actor, playing the part of an accidental president!

It is an indictment of the human condition we should be so easily fooled. The very existence of a war means any politician even remotely involved in the process has already failed.
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:34 am

Fact.

No conspiracy.

And that leads to the question of exactly how well are governments freezing assets and banking, yet still paying for this oil and gas?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

irie wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:34 am

Fact.

No conspiracy.

Wars cost money. Figure it out for yourself.
Indeed, though perhaps you might wish to stand in front of a mirror and figure it out yourself.
irie wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:09 am Ooh, another conspiracy theory. Image
:banana-dance: