interesting bikes found randomly..

Anything you like about motorbikes
Supermofo

Re: interesting bikes found randomly..

Post by Supermofo »

Taipan wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:16 pm I put this in the competition thread as its being raffled, but thought it was worth sticking in here. I quite like this but i'm not too sure why! :crazy: Certaibnly an interesting thing to do with a XV1000 TR1!

That is very cool.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:40 pm Interesting swingarm on the Guzzi!
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:27 am It's like the BMW set up (paralever is it?), the two swingarms are like double wishbones on a car. It is intended to stop wheelbase changes under power.

Love the rather more Italian name they've given it. :D
Arturro Magni (A Guzzi race-engineer in the 50s/60s) is the guy who invented the 'Parallelagrammo' or 'Paralever' system for shaft-driven bikes. IIRC he sold the idea to BMW (or they nicked it) but retained use for himself and has used it for ages for very-low-number production runs of his Guzzi-based bikes.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:56 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:27 am It's like the BMW set up (paralever is it?), the two swingarms are like double wishbones on a car. It is intended to stop wheelbase changes under power.

Arturro Magni (A Guzzi race-engineer in the 50s/60s) is the guy who invented the 'Parallelagrammo' or 'Paralever' system for shaft-driven bikes. IIRC he sold the idea to BMW (or they nicked it) but retained use for himself and has used it for ages for very-low-number production runs of his Guzzi-based bikes.
They 'borrowed' the Telelever / Duolever designs

https://www.citybike.com/stories/talkin ... n-hossack/

https://www.hossack-design.com/
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:09 pm
Rockburner wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:56 pm

They 'borrowed' the Telelever / Duolever designs

https://www.citybike.com/stories/talkin ... n-hossack/

https://www.hossack-design.com/
I know.

Don't think I've ever known the facts about the Paralever concept though.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Supermofo wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:38 pm Coupla cool bikes at High Beech

Love this Guzzi

Image20200808_112300 by Graham Vincent, on fkr
I rode a friend Magni during the IOM Classic week last year . It was “interesting “
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

They want a few quid for this Magni!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mv-Agusta-Ma ... 4360806577
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I think that might be the one that Performance Bikes built (hence the PB1).

I remember them saying the biggest issue with handling at the time was that Honda were bolting swing arms to the engine, rather than the main frame. Honda did it to the 929 Fireblade too.

They welded plates between the swingarm and chassis to stiffen it all up.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The only reasons to buy that Honda are: a) you've got a weird fetish for modified bikes or b) you can't afford the £7k for the cheapest SP-1 currently on the 'bay.

P.S. Back in 2006 I bought a 996 when they were about the same price as SP1s - it was a toss up between the two. The 996's engine shat it's pants. If I'd bought the Honda I'd probably still have it and it'd be worth more than I paid for it. :lol:
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

RG(V) 500 .... worth reading the full spec

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-RGV-5 ... SwhXBfQ~7F
Attachments
7C2648DA-D25B-4730-A0FC-8282857BF60B.jpeg
7C2648DA-D25B-4730-A0FC-8282857BF60B.jpeg (115.56 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:38 pm I think that might be the one that Performance Bikes built (hence the PB1).

I remember them saying the biggest issue with handling at the time was that Honda were bolting swing arms to the engine, rather than the main frame. Honda did it to the 929 Fireblade too.

They welded plates between the swingarm and chassis to stiffen it all up.
The PB1 is sister bike to PB2 and were Paul Browns bold’or bikes. Don’t think it’s one of the magazine bikes it was one of 6 commissioned by Honda UK. Around 135hp and 160kg it’s prob fun to ride.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Searching for something else, 'Hannigan' fairings were mentioned. A quick Google found this beauty :)

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:44 pm The only reasons to buy that Honda are: a) you've got a weird fetish for modified bikes or b) you can't afford the £7k for the cheapest SP-1 currently on the 'bay.

P.S. Back in 2006 I bought a 996 when they were about the same price as SP1s - it was a toss up between the two. The 996's engine shat it's pants. If I'd bought the Honda I'd probably still have it and it'd be worth more than I paid for it. :lol:
A friend of mine has 3 SP1s (one an ex Moriwaki race bike) they're all used only on track, they've all shat their pants in expensive ways, he now takes a Bimota (he's got 3 or 4 of them) with him on track days as they're more reliable.
Honda Owner
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:42 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:44 pm The only reasons to buy that Honda are: a) you've got a weird fetish for modified bikes or b) you can't afford the £7k for the cheapest SP-1 currently on the 'bay.

A friend of mine has 3 SP1s (one an ex Moriwaki race bike) they're all used only on track, they've all shat their pants in expensive ways, he now takes a Bimota (he's got 3 or 4 of them) with him on track days as they're more reliable.
I once had a VTR with a load of Moriwaki stuff in the engine, when I bought it, the guy told me to only use super unleaded and he gave me floppy discs for the ignition unit. It was a vicious bastard of a thing and did about 35 miles to a tenner of fuel.

I was relieved when some boy from down South knew of it and gave me silly money for it to use it as a track bike, I'm pretty sure he had a massive crash with it though.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Followed a lovely Morini 3.5 yesterday. I went out for a local blat and coming back from Bishops Stortford via Much Hadham I came across a bike in the distance but didn't know what it was. Caught him up and then we got to some twisties and he was going really well. I could see it had clip ons and was a classic but didn't know what and didn't want to stitch him up with an overtake to see. Luckily we stopped to let a massive tractor by and I pulled alongside to take a look. A red Morini 3.5 nicely patinated and he said he'd just rebuilt the brakes. He waved me passed and I lost sight of him assume he turned off. Looked and sounded great though.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Supermofo wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:04 am Followed a lovely Morini 3.5 yesterday. I went out for a local blat and coming back from Bishops Stortford via Much Hadham I came across a bike in the distance but didn't know what it was. Caught him up and then we got to some twisties and he was going really well. I could see it had clip ons and was a classic but didn't know what and didn't want to stitch him up with an overtake to see. Luckily we stopped to let a massive tractor by and I pulled alongside to take a look. A red Morini 3.5 nicely patinated and he said he'd just rebuilt the brakes. He waved me passed and I lost sight of him assume he turned off. Looked and sounded great though.
They handle superbly (for a 1970s bike) but are only about 20 bhp, top speed about 100mph and you can easily get 100mpg from them.
Honda Owner
David

Post by David »

I rode one and was impressed in the eighties. Should have bought one of those instead of the grumpy beezer!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:28 am
Supermofo wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:04 am Followed a lovely Morini 3.5 yesterday. I went out for a local blat and coming back from Bishops Stortford via Much Hadham I came across a bike in the distance but didn't know what it was. Caught him up and then we got to some twisties and he was going really well. I could see it had clip ons and was a classic but didn't know what and didn't want to stitch him up with an overtake to see. Luckily we stopped to let a massive tractor by and I pulled alongside to take a look. A red Morini 3.5 nicely patinated and he said he'd just rebuilt the brakes. He waved me passed and I lost sight of him assume he turned off. Looked and sounded great though.
They handle superbly (for a 1970s bike) but are only about 20 bhp, top speed about 100mph and you can easily get 100mpg from them.
It did seem to handle the twisties well.
Le_Fromage_Grande

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unfinished-M ... SwuAtfP9i9

The closer you look the weirder it gets
Honda Owner
Potter

Post by Potter »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:17 pm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unfinished-M ... SwuAtfP9i9

The closer you look the weirder it gets
People that do silly shit like that need keeping an eye on, because they're just as likely to do something equally as stupid like towing a trailer that isn't secured properly, or fixing his own roof by climbing out of the bathroom window and falling off.

The problem is they overestimate their abilities and then just make a mess of whatever it is they're attempting.

Some equally stupid person will buy it, bodge it and then hit a tree.