Inflation

Current affairs, Politics, News.
JackyJoll

Re: Inflation

Post by JackyJoll »

Wscad wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:19 pm Shut this thread down weeksy. It’s getting toxic.. just my opinion
But we’re this close to sorting inflation!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Wscad wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:19 pm Shut this thread down weeksy. It’s getting toxic.. just my opinion
It reads kinda amusing for my mediocre humour. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Felix

Post by Felix »

That is the only reason one of them posts in this section.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

You're all as guilty as eachother in this thread. People post snidey comments to get a reaction, then wander off after dropping the bomb, we've seen it many times. Rarely is it one sided and this thread is not one sided either.

As for Screwed being put upon, well IMO that's like saying David Ike was put upon when he was saying he was the son of God. When someones opinion is SO far from everyone else, they're likely to be slated for it. That's where he finds himself. Whether he's right or wrong, he's so far from public opinion that he's going to have people belittling the opinion without doubt.

The thing is, with forums, there's no right and wrong answer for every opinion. For every scenario, for every eventuality. Some days this place is awesome, some days it's a pile of shite.... But hey, that's the nature of the beast.

We can all walk away for an hour, a day, a week, a month and come back to it refreshed and happy.

If the particular thread is toxic, walk away from it, stop opening it and it will magically go away. People will get bored talking to themselves.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Potter wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:25 am I kept posting on the subject of inflation and other people (it's always the same ones) kept taking it into something different.
Now the thread is toxic and needs to go.

It's always the same results, I end up defending a position to an onslaught of the same bitter trolls.

I always said that this section shouldn't exist, but that while it does I'll push back on the toxicity, racism, chest beating, toxic nationalism and prejudice, I've seen the genuine nastiness and even had some of you start to do what happened on TRC, i.e. start to take things personal and into real life. Some of the pack here are pretty unpleasant and I watch when you descend, for example, on people like Screwdriver, he's made some very accurate and astute observations but he's had abuse and gaslighting that I think went beyond what's decent - but he doesn't run with the pack, so it's allowed.

This year long thread should be removed now, I never took it off subject until baited and it's my own fault for rising to it every time, but now its swamped by all the usual snide suspects with nothing to say about the subject but plenty of time on their hands to bait for the same responses as always from me. My resident stalker is back to accuse me of drug taking and being some sort of corrupt chancer, I live inside his head and he's never going to let it go or stop, I'm just fucking tired of it now.
Get a grip man, bitter trolls my arse- it's just people who don't see life the same way that you do, and you positively invite these sort of responses from anyone who strongly holds a contrary opinion/outlook to yours- I'm guessing one or two of of the regular posters in here probably do see you as a troll too but that's with good reason IMO- you (sometimes) openly admit that you go into these sort of threads to plant the odd bomb purely for entertainment value...

Anyway, I'm with Skub on this , am finding it entertaining.
I'm not seeing this thread as toxic either - as well as entertaining I've found it genuinely interesting in parts too and don't see any reason for it to be deleted, quite the opposite actually, but I guess I'm not one of the ones putting my views up for analysis / critisism /ridicule ( well until now I haven't been anyway :D ) so I don't have the same skin in the game as you do on this as it were ;)

In your current position, I think that I'd just walk away for a day or two , go out on the bike/boat, go for a run, have a shag/wank whatever, and then when you've cleared your head / de-toxed, as all the cheesy footballers say, " we go again! " :thumbup:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

It's social media init.. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Skub

Post by Skub »

Potter wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:25 am I kept posting on the subject of inflation and other people (it's always the same ones) kept taking it into something different.
Now the thread is toxic and needs to go.

It's always the same results, I end up defending a position to an onslaught of the same bitter trolls.

I always said that this section shouldn't exist, but that while it does I'll push back on the toxicity, racism, chest beating, toxic nationalism and prejudice, I've seen the genuine nastiness and even had some of you start to do what happened on TRC, i.e. start to take things personal and into real life. Some of the pack here are pretty unpleasant and I watch when you descend, for example, on people like Screwdriver, he's made some very accurate and astute observations but he's had abuse and gaslighting that I think went beyond what's decent - but he doesn't run with the pack, so it's allowed.

This year long thread should be removed now, I never took it off subject until baited and it's my own fault for rising to it every time, but now its swamped by all the usual snide suspects with nothing to say about the subject but plenty of time on their hands to bait for the same responses as always from me. My resident stalker is back to accuse me of drug taking and being some sort of corrupt chancer, I live inside his head and he's never going to let it go or stop, I'm just fucking tired of it now.
I have little interest in contributing to these type of threads,but I do dip in and out to read on occasion. I enjoy both yours and Screwd's posts and while I may not agree with everything,it's all written in a way that entertains me. I think you should just be yourself and do what you do,never minding what you perceive as bait or trolling.

The same applies to Screwd. Agree or not,I welcome reading how others view things.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Some interesting stuff on the wireless this morning re the inflationary impact of VAT. Every time something goes up the tax amplifies the inflationary impact. No talk of reducing it back to 15% though. :(

I see that he's taken 5p off fuel duty (the rest still gets VAT added in top and onto the price/litre increase). It would have been nice if he'd lowered the VAT instead if tackling inflation is really the target.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:01 pm
JamJar wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:41 pm How do you define mediocrity? Genuine question.
Finishing your day knowing you could have done better.

For me it's not trying to push past what I previously did.
If I go running I try and beat yesterdays time, in my job I try and be better than I was yesterday, if I have a quid in my hand today then I want one pound fifty tomorrow.

I can live with failing sometimes, but not trying is mediocrity.
TBH Iccy, the ability to just say 'ahh fuck it' sometimes might do your mental health the world of good.

I used to be like you. I used to be 100mph all the time and used to get so angry when others we're not doing the same. But i then discovered that the world is just full or corruption and shit so decided there was no point, no point in my working my socks off for someone who quite likely doesn't give a shit about my productivity, the person in the other office having 2 hour dinners and working at 30% productivity will be valued just the same as you working at a higher level...IME.

Truth is, some people just want an easy life, or a simple life away from the pace of normal life. This is not failure, this is not avoiding trying your hardest, it's just being the person you want to be and not the person society wants you to be.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

JamJar wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:41 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:17 pm
weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:56 pm
LOL is that what you actually believe you portray as a posting style ?
It's the way it works for me. If see a really successful bloke doing exactly what he wants in life and getting what he wants, then I learn from him, especially if the crowd seem to be at odds with him because he's ruffling feathers.

You won't learn anything from people that have settled for mediocrity.
How do you define mediocrity? Genuine question.
Maybe us?
We settled for a 3* pension at 54, rather than chase a 5* pension at 66.
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

JackyJoll wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:46 pm
But we’re this close to sorting inflation!
This should do it.
pin.GIF
pin.GIF (46.26 KiB) Viewed 315 times
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Greenman wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:41 am Truth is, some people just want an easy life, or a simple life away from the pace of normal life. This is not failure, this is not avoiding trying your hardest, it's just being the person you want to be and not the person society wants you to be.
There is much truth in that. Sometimes it is worthwhile (to you) to push hard, sometimes it ain't. The real trick is to recognize the difference between when the game really isn't worth the effort, and when it is just laziness. We all feel lazy at times, and it is rather too easy to say "It isn't worth it" when we really mean "I'm a lazy bugger".
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:31 am Some interesting stuff on the wireless this morning re the inflationary impact of VAT. Every time something goes up the tax amplifies the inflationary impact.
Yeah, but yebbut, the stuff HMG spends tax money on is going up in price too.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

JackyJoll wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:08 am
Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:31 am Some interesting stuff on the wireless this morning re the inflationary impact of VAT. Every time something goes up the tax amplifies the inflationary impact.
Yeah, but yebbut, the stuff HMG spends tax money on is going up in price too.
True. Inflating fuel costs really stokes the inflation of everything else that has to be transported though. Goods, people to work, rubbish collection etc etc etc. It's one of the primary drivers of inflation. If they wanted a chilling effect on inflation, billing us all with a tax on a tax on rising fuel prices really is the last place to start. Maybe they just want to let it rip so they can go 'Tadaaaaa!' in 2 years time...just before the next election...when the 1p comes off income tax.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Potter wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:25 amI live inside his head
Second time you've said that, did you read it in The Art Of The Deal or The Art Of War by Sun Tzu? You've likely got an author signed copy of both in you're bookshelf have you :lol:
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Greenman wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:41 am
Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:01 pm
JamJar wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:41 pm How do you define mediocrity? Genuine question.
Finishing your day knowing you could have done better.

For me it's not trying to push past what I previously did.
If I go running I try and beat yesterdays time, in my job I try and be better than I was yesterday, if I have a quid in my hand today then I want one pound fifty tomorrow.

I can live with failing sometimes, but not trying is mediocrity.
TBH Iccy, the ability to just say 'ahh fuck it' sometimes might do your mental health the world of good.

I used to be like you. I used to be 100mph all the time and used to get so angry when others we're not doing the same. But i then discovered that the world is just full or corruption and shit so decided there was no point, no point in my working my socks off for someone who quite likely doesn't give a shit about my productivity, the person in the other office having 2 hour dinners and working at 30% productivity will be valued just the same as you working at a higher level...IME.

Truth is, some people just want an easy life, or a simple life away from the pace of normal life. This is not failure, this is not avoiding trying your hardest, it's just being the person you want to be and not the person society wants you to be.
The way I see it is the earth turns on its axis, one man struggles while another relaxes.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Felix

Post by Felix »

So we there yet?

So has your local garage dropped the fuel price yet? Has mine fuck. The night before one garage put it up 5p and Tesco turned the price display off this morning. I never needed fuel so god knows what they did. Just looked at the Compare local price site. Tesco 0.5 mile away £171.9 and the garage that put it up £182.9. Only two garages in town.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Local Tesco £157.9 today.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:48 pm Local Tesco £157.9 today.
Weekly grocery shop, or wine bill, or per litre? ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Drink it if you wish, but petrol, per litre. Significantly less than it was 2 days ago.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!