Inflation

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: Inflation

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:34 am
Yambo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:42 pm
Life is what you make it Potter. You're doing it your way and others will do it their way. If consistently telling people that they could of course do it all better is a result of the way you've done it then to be honest I think my own way and others' ways may be better.
Hang on, we've gone from me wanting to give my kids a good start in life will turn them into chinless layabouts - to my work ethic is a failure because I'm trying to help people be more aware of opportunities :lol:

If you actually believe what you've typed then let the lad build his own boat and stop trying to motivate him.
If you're going to tell him how he can do it better then perhaps your way is not the best, let him struggle and perhaps his way will be better.

Who am I to point out better pathways to anything and who are you to crow to this boy about the motivation to build a boat?
That is exactly what you have done above! :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

irie wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:34 am
Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:34 am
Yambo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:42 pm
Life is what you make it Potter. You're doing it your way and others will do it their way. If consistently telling people that they could of course do it all better is a result of the way you've done it then to be honest I think my own way and others' ways may be better.
Hang on, we've gone from me wanting to give my kids a good start in life will turn them into chinless layabouts - to my work ethic is a failure because I'm trying to help people be more aware of opportunities :lol:

If you actually believe what you've typed then let the lad build his own boat and stop trying to motivate him.
If you're going to tell him how he can do it better then perhaps your way is not the best, let him struggle and perhaps his way will be better.

Who am I to point out better pathways to anything and who are you to crow to this boy about the motivation to build a boat?
That is exactly what you have done above! :lol:
Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:34 am Whoosh.
That was exactly the point I was making.
The funny thing is that you are evidently not aware that you are telling others what they should and should not do, and are pointing to what on your opinion are "better pathways". Pure hypocrisy. :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:12 am
irie wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:01 am
The funny thing is that you are evidently not aware that you are telling others what they should and should not do, and are pointing to what on your opinion are "better pathways". Pure hypocrisy. :lol:
I was pointing out hypocrisy by using hypocrisy, Yambo is telling me not to lecture people about what to do as a parent, whilst himself lecturing the lads dad on motivation for his boy.
My whole point was hypocrisy - how can you not see that?

I wish you'd just stay out of my threads because all you do is really weird senior-citizen pedantic shit when you can't follow it properly.
It's like trying to talk my gran through setting up a Skype account.
You're wrong (not for the first time).

I wasn't telling you what to do at all, you're imagining things. I simply suggested that there's at least one other way of getting your kids started in life and if you don't have the resources, the one I suggested may be a better option. You read it as criticism of you (if the cap fits . . .) so go on the attack with a ridiculous assumption that I'm lecturing people.

If you really think that someone offering an alternative view is attacking you personally you have a problem. Or you're a fool.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

My own grandmother was ahead of her time, thinking that the news man on TV could see her.

Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

JackyJoll wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:02 pm
My own grandmother was ahead of her time, thinking that the news man on TV could see her.

Robert Dougall?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:45 pm I'll carry on trying to motivate you lot.
LOL is that what you actually believe you portray as a posting style ?
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:56 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:45 pm I'll carry on trying to motivate you lot.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Bike Breaker wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:21 pm
Robert Dougall?
[/quote]

Yes.

Were you more of a Richard Baker girl?

Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:17 pm

You won't learn anything from people that have settled for mediocrity.

Wrong again.

You could learn a lot from someone who has settled for mediocrity. Like why they settled for mediocrity for example.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

It's the way it works for me. If see a really successful bloke doing exactly what he wants in life and getting what he wants, then I learn from him, especially if the crowd seem to be at odds with him because he's ruffling feathers.

How do you define mediocrity? Genuine question.
Horse

Post by Horse »

If they aim for mediocrity and achieve it, that is 100% success. If they are happy with it and content, that's an extra win.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:01 pm
JamJar wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:41 pm How do you define mediocrity? Genuine question.
Finishing your day knowing you could have done better.

For me it's not trying to push past what I previously did.
If I go running I try and beat yesterdays time, in my job I try and be better than I was yesterday, if I have a quid in my hand today then I want one pound fifty tomorrow.

I can live with failing sometimes, but not trying is mediocrity.
No offense but that sounds awful.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:01 pm
JamJar wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:41 pm How do you define mediocrity? Genuine question.
Finishing your day knowing you could have done better.

I can live with failing sometimes, but not trying is mediocrity.
It cant be both. Failing means you know you could have done better. Unless you set unreasonable targets.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It's possible to get stuck in the bottom half of Maslow's hierarchy of need. Some people happily progress through the lower levels with, what others may view as, minimal attention to some of the 'safety' needs. Others get stuck thinking that these 'safety' needs are never satisfied and never really move on to 'cognitive' and 'aesthetic' needs. Driven by this perceived unsatisfied need for money, esteem and other 'safety' elements they remain unfulfilled as individuals. :D

Or, to put it another way, it's perfectly possible to be an 'enlightened', successful human being with resources that others would find unsatisfactory or, vice versa, it's possible to acquire resources without developing aesthetically or cognitively or becoming 'enlightened'.

Zo, I sink you can all get off ze couch now. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Yambo wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:37 pm

Wrong again.

You could learn a lot from someone who has settled for mediocrity. Like why they settled for mediocrity for example.
You can learn a lot about woodwork from a mediocre cabinetmaker..
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:01 pm I can live with failing sometimes, but not trying is mediocrity.
I too can live happily with failure. It gives me essential learning, and it’s impossible to be successful without failures on the way. Often, we learn best from failure (provided it doesn’t kill us).

Sadly, I have seen too many friends set their sights low – not trying because of fear of failure.
Bruce Lee wrote: Low aim, not failure, is the crime.
irie

Post by irie »

Hot_Air wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:38 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:01 pm I can live with failing sometimes, but not trying is mediocrity.
I too can live happily with failure. It gives me essential learning, and it’s impossible to be successful without failures on the way. Often, we learn best from failure (provided it doesn’t kill us).

Sadly, I have seen too many friends set their sights low – not trying because of fear of failure.
Bruce Lee wrote: Low aim, not failure, is the crime.
Or as Yoda said:

"Do ... or do not. There is no try".

But the truth is that different people have different goals in life, and what one man considers to be mediocrity may be another man's nirvana.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Has someone on this tbread found a gram of coke in a wrap down the back of the sofa?

It's all gone a bit ferkin results driven/blueskythinking/synergy/chancerbullshit/jackanory hasnt it?

Again.
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Shut this thread down weeksy. It’s getting toxic.. just my opinion