In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
JackyJoll

Re: In todays news...

Post by JackyJoll »

Yambo wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:55 am I recall from previous threads on here that there are RTTL members who can't believe that sort of thing could or would happen. In fact I reckon I could name them but as nobody ever changes their mind from what they read on internet forums they'll still believe it couldn't happen and that I and others are simply transphobic.

They'll know who they are of course and I guess will soon be responding with the same woke shite - everyone must be treated equally even if it means that one weirdo/pedo/sex offender gets a free ride to be a c*nt.
It looks like someone in the hospital obstructed justice in a criminally liable way.

That’s as well as the failures involved in putting perverted men in women’s wards.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Mussels wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:49 am The trans movement is looking more and more like PIE.
They even both have Peter Tatchell.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:49 am The trans movement is looking more and more like PIE.
Wassat?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Yorick wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:46 pm
Wassat?
You may vaguely remember the Paedophile Information Exchange being active in the 1970s. Sort of “We’re not that bad” campaign.

They got some unexpected people to speak up for them. Harriet Harman was one.
irie

Post by irie »

JackyJoll wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:57 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:46 pm
Wassat?
You may vaguely remember the Paedophile Information Exchange being active in the 1970s. Sort of “We’re not that bad” campaign.

They got some unexpected people to speak up for them. Harriet Harman was one.
Harriet Harman and her husband the late Jack Dromey did not just 'speak up' for PIE. Dromey was on executive committee of the National Council for Civil Liberties (for which Harman was later also Legal Officer) from 1970 to 1979 during the time that 'affiliate status' was granted to PIE in 1975.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paedoph ... n_Exchange
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

PIE also gained the support of gay rights organisations trying to conflate the two, sound familiar?
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

Just to lighten the mood a bit.
It's not exactly on the famous Suez Canal and it bears no resemblance to the Ever Given, but it is definitely stuck.
barge stuck across River Hull.jpg
barge stuck across River Hull.jpg (40.6 KiB) Viewed 335 times
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

That's proper stuck, not like the half hearted Suez effort.
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

We're all stick-in-the-muds in 'ull.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:30 pm I've never taken the opinion that criminal behaviour should change the position on equal rights, you either have equal rights or you don't.
It's a circular argument and I do have sympathy with what you're saying, I'd be very unhappy if that was my daughter, but like I said you either subscribe to equal rights or you let nature be the decider, the UK has settled with democracy and equal rights, some criminals take advantage of it, what to do.

I choose to live somewhere that is stricter and aligns more with what I prefer. I'm assuming they're also a bit more traditional where you are as well?
Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. E.g. it doesn't matter whether my bank manager, binman, sorry, refuse collection operative, postal delivery person etc is a man, a woman, a man who thinks he's a woman or a woman who thinks she's a man.

However, sometimes there are distinctions made for the purpose of safety or fairness. Then it does matter and it becomes either unfair or downright dangerous to pretend it doesn't.

The trick is to work out which is which and act (and legislate if necessary) accordingly.
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:30 pm ...I choose to live somewhere that is stricter and aligns more with what I prefer ...
Oh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_r ... %20torture
Wiki, Dubai law wrote: Homosexuality is illegal. The death penalty is one of the punishments for homosexuality. Kissing in some public places is illegal and can result in deportation.[24] Expats in Dubai have been deported for kissing in public.[25][26][27]

Dubai has a modest dress code. The dress code is part of Dubai's criminal law.[28] Sleeveless tops and short dresses are not allowed at Dubai's malls.[29][30] Clothes must be in appropriate lengths.[28] Expats and tourists are not allowed to consume alcohol outside of licensed venues.

Apostasy is a crime punishable by death in the UAE; in practice this has never been applied. UAE incorporates hudud crimes of Sharia law into its Penal Code - apostasy being one of them.[31] Article 1 and Article 66 of UAE's Penal Code requires hudud crimes to be punished with the death penalty,[31][32] therefore apostasy is punishable by death in the UAE.

Non-Muslim expatriates can be liable to Sharia rulings on marriage, divorce and child custody.[33] Emirati women must receive permission from male guardian to marry and remarry.[34] The requirement is derived from Sharia, and has been federal law since 2005.[34] In all emirates, it is illegal for Muslim women to marry non-Muslims.[35] In the UAE, a marriage union between a Muslim woman and non-Muslim man is punishable by law, since it is considered a form of "fornication".[35]

During the month of Ramadan, it is illegal to publicly eat, drink, or smoke between sunrise and sunset. Exceptions are made for pregnant women and children. The law applies to both Muslims and non-Muslims, and failure to comply may result in arrest.[36] In 2008 a Russian woman was put on trial for drinking juice in public during the month of Ramadan.[37]

Sharing a hotel room with the opposite sex is prohibited under Dubai's law unless married or closely related. There is to be no display of public affection. Taking pictures of women without their consent is also prohibited.[38
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:47 pm
Homosexuality is illegal. The death penalty is one of the punishments for homosexuality. Kissing in some public places is illegal and can result in deportation.[24] Expats in Dubai have been deported for kissing in public.[25][26][27]/quote]
So, any Emiratians on the bumming forum must be using aliases.
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:47 pm
Oh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_r ... %20torture
Wiki, Dubai law wrote:
Dubai has a modest dress code. The dress code is part of Dubai's criminal law.[28] Sleeveless tops and short dresses are not allowed at Dubai's malls.[29][30] Clothes must be in appropriate lengths.[28]
Take that with a pinch of salt.

When I went out there for work, I was having breakfast in the hotel (in the 'marina' area if it makes any difference).

A jogger went past, up over the bridge. Usual jogging attire of vest and shorts.

Blonde hair in a ponytail. She was all very 'Californian'.

Not what I was expecting to see :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Hoonercat wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:44 pm According to the Yorkshire Post, the RMT have said there is now an Eastern European crew on board the Pride of Hull, being paid 'as little as £2.60-£2.80 per hour.' No idea how they've managed to get around UK min wage laws, if that is true. I can only guess they've been contracted abroad and only need to be paid the min wage of their country of residence, which would be peanuts if Eastern Europe?
Just (re)register the ships somewhere with no minimum wage rules and employ a Filipino crew. It’s what every other shipping company, including cruise lines, does. Why should P&O be any different?
Felix

Post by Felix »

wheelnut wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:34 pm
Hoonercat wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:44 pm According to the Yorkshire Post, the RMT have said there is now an Eastern European crew on board the Pride of Hull, being paid 'as little as £2.60-£2.80 per hour.' No idea how they've managed to get around UK min wage laws, if that is true. I can only guess they've been contracted abroad and only need to be paid the min wage of their country of residence, which would be peanuts if Eastern Europe?
Just (re)register the ships somewhere with no minimum wage rules and employ a Filipino crew. It’s what every other shipping company, including cruise lines, does. Why should P&O be any different?
Are they registered here? Im sure i seen some other country's flag flying but i may be getting mixed up with DFDS and arent they owned by some Arab company.

Dono if any truth in it but a neighbour was saying all there Dutch and German workers were OK as they are covered by European laws but then he could just be another whinner who cant get over Brexit.
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

P&O Ferries is owned by DP World which I understand belongs to the Dubai government. They sail under the flag of Cyprus.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60856763

Quite a boring HRH Willz “slavery apology” story, but it occurred to me that Andrew Holness wouldn’t be Prime Minister of Jamaica, were it not for British Imperial slavery.

In fact, almost none of the present day Jamaicans would be Jamaicans.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

JackyJoll wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:38 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60856763

Quite a boring HRH Willz “slavery apology” story, but it occurred to me that Andrew Holness wouldn’t be Prime Minister of Jamaica, were it not for British Imperial slavery.

Are you trying to say that there's an upside to slavery?
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:51 am
JackyJoll wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:38 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60856763

“slavery apology” story, but it occurred to me that Andrew Holness wouldn’t be Prime Minister of Jamaica, were it not for British Imperial slavery.

Probably more about results and consequences ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:51 am

Not for slaves, there wasn’t.

But I had an idea someone would try to see something pro-slavery in what I wrote.