29%
Maybe
22%

Total votes: 41

Screwdriver

Re: Will Russia invade the Ukraine?

Post by Screwdriver »

Potter wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:39 am
Screwdriver wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:15 am I think the problem is more to do with the fundamental psychology of individuals. Why for example are vastly more psychopaths prevalent in positions of authority or running large corporations than in society at large? I suggest it is because their behaviours are rewarded and they are more successful than weaker more empathic people.
I'm not sure I'm qualified to argue a point on this with any strength.

It's obvious to me that individuals that are not keen to conform to the group psychology are more likely to end up leading the group, but is that psychopathic? You can argue it is because they're fighting against the group psychology (i.e. going against the group social conformist behaviour), but I don't think it's what most people mean when they use the term psychopath.

If I'm a psychopath because I don't follow normal group behaviour then I'm ok with it, although I'm not sure I'd agree that I have a chronic mental disorder...well not one that's worse than the average human being.
LOL. Sorry I wasn't pointing fingers or saying ALL high level managers etc. are "psycho's"! You suggested "tribalism" was a fundamental issue whereas I suggest that is a burned in firmware and the deeper problem is with you bloody humans more generally. Lit. too clever for your own good.

There are what, 7 billion individuals on this planet?? Very, very few actually get to wield any sort of power** and there is a suspiciously high proportion of those who display typical psychopathic traits (compared to the general population). They happen to be very good at what they do but unfortunately "what they do" nominally for the benefit of all those billions of others is never for the greater good. They just don't have it in them.

I submit that to be successful, it helps to be ruthless, single minded and selfish. It's more of a statistical broad brush generalisation. There are good people out there, there are sensitive, empathetic types who can become successful for any number of positive reasons.

An interesting study I read recently suggests that in a group test of individuals (one of them sneaky ones that claims to be testing one thing but is actually looking at another) found that liars and cheats are FAR more likely to seek a career in politics/civil service. They crave that power...

**Power. Hmm. Money. They are joined at the hip like space and time, maybe we should just call it "Moneypower". It is a single thing. I think some people crave it whereas others perform their chosen task because they love that task and the money is a spinoff. Others have to perform some more menial task they hate because they have to in order to survive, not because they crave moneypower.

Meanwhile our (Western) society has become obsessed with moneypower, insisting that to enjoy life you must consume! Buy the latest doodad, wear the latest fashion, drive a better car. This is all being driven by those in power because without a consumer to drive their economies, they can't acquire the thing they most desire: moneypower.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:39 am
Screwdriver wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:15 am I think the problem is more to do with the fundamental psychology of individuals. Why for example are vastly more psychopaths prevalent in positions of authority or running large corporations than in society at large?
I'm not sure I'm qualified to argue a point on this with any strength.
Me neither. But I've heard my psychologist son talk about it.

There is a link / over-representation. But I can't remember the why :lol:

Guessing, if you're going to develop and then lead on certain levels, you may need to limit (or ignore) empathy, sympathy, etc. and focus single-mindedly on what you want to achieve. Or summat :)

Edit: Screwd summarised that as "ruthless, single minded and selfish". Can't argue (because I don't know), but it sounds about right.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

irie wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:07 am
Yambo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:54 am It's subtle, if you want to look for it but it's there.
As posted earlier, official Kremlin media seems to have (accidently?) posted Russian loses, or may have been hacked.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/russian-troops-dead-ukraine/
Pro-Kremlin newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda swiftly took down an online article revealing thousands of troops had died and over 16,000 were injured, but screenshots of the report still exist.

It led to questions over whether the outlet was hacked or if it obtained true figures and managed to post them.

The article said 9,861 soldiers had died in the invasion, which has turned into a now month-long war.

That figure is far higher than the toll of 498 given by Russian authorities at the start of March
Sure, I read that but again it's going to be hard to verify the numbers and to be fair, the media should say they can't verify any numbers. Most of us sheeple know and appreciate that despite being told we don't by the deep thinkers.

Zelensky keeps shouting "War crimes!' but I doubt Putin or any other Russian top brass will stand trial in the Hague. War is good for rhetoric.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yambo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:29 am Zelensky keeps shouting "War crimes!' but I doubt Putin or any other Russian top brass will stand trial in the Hague. War is good for rhetoric.
Me neither but possibly for a different reason. Either he wins and is hails himself a hero or he loses and is as good as dead.

I am so glad I was wrong about this "special operation" and the might of the Russian Empire is still struggling against a ferocious and well armed Ukraine. The video I link to earlier gives me some hope that Ukraine will prevail, heart agrees.

Head says if China get involved, Ukraine will fall.

Either way though, I doubt we'll see Putin stray outside his territory ever again.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:04 am 'Psychopathy is characterized by diagnostic features such as superficial charm, high intelligence, poor judgment and failure to learn from experience, pathological egocentricity and incapacity for love, lack of remorse or shame, impulsivity, grandiose sense of self-worth, pathological lying, manipulative behavior, poor ...'
irie

Post by irie »

Yambo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:29 am
irie wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:07 am
Yambo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:54 am It's subtle, if you want to look for it but it's there.
As posted earlier, official Kremlin media seems to have (accidently?) posted Russian loses, or may have been hacked.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/russian-troops-dead-ukraine/
Sure, I read that but again it's going to be hard to verify the numbers and to be fair, the media should say they can't verify any numbers. Most of us sheeple know and appreciate that despite being told we don't by the deep thinkers.

Zelensky keeps shouting "War crimes!' but I doubt Putin or any other Russian top brass will stand trial in the Hague. War is good for rhetoric.
I don't think anyone knows how many deaths there have been on either side, and even if an accurate number is somewhere published it's just another number in the morass of propaganda emitted by all sides. And I would also be astonished to see Putin or any other Russian stand trial for war crimes in the Hague.

The double 'games' on both sides are pretty obvious:

- Russia declares victories to satisfy internal politics where about 70% of the Russian population has never been exposed to anything other than state controlled media.

- Ukraine repeatedly declares war crimes, and that it's near defeat, to ensure the continued supply of money, hand held anti-tank weapons, manpads, drones and western intelligence etc.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Potter

Post by Potter »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:10 am
LOL. Sorry I wasn't pointing fingers...
I didn't take it personally at all, mainly because I don't agree, at least not in my industry and circumstances.
I don't know about politics - although from the outside looking in then it looks like you have to be narcissistic and probably psychopathic to want the fame and scrutiny that politics presents.

Its an interesting subject but way off topic.
irie

Post by irie »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:49 am Stumbled onto this piece and I think it's interesting enough to share:

Very interesting video, thanks for posting it. And yes, I watched it all the way through. :thumbup:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Potter wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:05 pm Its an interesting subject but way off topic.
Hmm. Let's see.

Vladimir Putin

Psychopath

Give me a minute and I'll see if I can find some common ground to drag this discussion back on topic. :hmmm:
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Even if the invasion is a spectacular failure, Putin's made sure his political rival and most outspoken critic won't be around to add fuel to the fire.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60832310

Already serving 3.5 years for breaking bail conditions due to being in hospital after an attempt on his life.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

'Oligarch says he ditched mansions before sanctions' shocker.
A Russian billionaire sanctioned by the UK says he no longer owns many former properties, potentially putting them beyond the reach of the law.
Ex-Arsenal shareholder Alisher Usmanov's £82m London home and Surrey mansion were put into trusts linked to the oligarch.
This raises questions over the effectiveness of sanctions imposed since the invasion of Ukraine began
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Is this true?

https://hungarytoday.hu/ihor-kotvytskyy ... der-money/

Former Ukrainian MP wife stopped at Hungary border carrying suitcases stuffed with millions...
Potter

Post by Potter »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:21 pm Is this true?

Former Ukrainian MP wife stopped at Hungary border carrying suitcases stuffed with millions...
I've heard a lot of news on the grapevine about Ukrainians moving a shitload of dirty money through financial hubs, it's hard to get verified news on it because laundering money is done underground anyway, and even if it weren't the western news and big tech will suppress it.

The Biden's payments from Ukraine and China aren't going to go away though, that news is out there now, although unsurprisingly no one wants to talk about it :lol:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

It's perfectly possible though Fox news cite Belarusian media as their source, maybe other outlets are trying to check facts first. I tried to find out when he was an MP but he doesn't seem to exist online before this story so it might have been many years ago.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:13 am

It's perfectly possible though Fox news cite Belarusian media as their source, maybe other outlets are trying to check facts first. I tried to find out when he was an MP but he doesn't seem to exist online before this story so it might have been many years ago.
Is this the chap? 2015

https://www.unian.info/politics/1124421 ... orgot.html
20220323_075042.jpg
20220323_075042.jpg (280.97 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I hear that there is another story sitting there about Ukrainian money buying up London property, but that one will probably not break until someone decides it's appropriate - which is probably when the west helps Ukraine win and then Ukraine bites the hand that fed it, Saddam style.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Horse wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:52 am
Mussels wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:13 am

Is this the chap? 2015

https://www.unian.info/politics/1124421 ... orgot.html

20220323_075042.jpg
Businessman, former MP of a now defunct political party, and said to be the right-hand man of former Interior Minister Arsen Avakov, who's career was full of corruption charges that he managed to weave his way out of until he ran out of political allies as the 'old guard' were replaced.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

When you do a search for some of these names in what is widely regarded as one the most corrupt countries in Europe, you discover a tangled web of intrigue. If it was a John Le Carre novel no one would be able to follow it, let alone believe it. Tales of politicians and "businessmen" being thrown in jail, released, getting back into government as if they're on a merry go round.

In amongst all that carnage, Hunter Biden's name keeps popping up, even VP Joe Biden, "The Big Guy" is seen pulling levers, pushing buttons defending financial interests centring around Burisma, a hot bed of corruption with vast financial resources being syphoned off.

This scandal has the potential to be as big a story as the current war.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:49 am Stumbled onto this piece and I think it's interesting enough to share:

That's a good video and 3 weeks later still looks spot on.
Now the transport ship that Russian TV made a song and dance about has been sunk I wonder if we're supplying different missiles or if it was two men in a dinghy.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mussels wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:09 pm That's a good video and 3 weeks later still looks spot on.
Now the transport ship that Russian TV made a song and dance about has been sunk I wonder if we're supplying different missiles or if it was two men in a dinghy.
It does take a different slant from most of the commentaries out there.

I heard somewhere that ship might have been hit by a ballistic missile.

I fear this slight pause is shortly to be broken by some devastating attack. Putin really now has nothing to lose and is sure to go "all-in" at some stage, even if or perhaps especially if Russian defeat looks inevitable. They have some fearsome conventional weapons but if they can't flush out the civilians (or kidnap them) they have a LOT of chemical capabilities and its right out of the Russian playbook.

Another "play" might be to accidentally drop a bomb just inside the NATO border... :shock:

Speaking of blowing things up inside NATO borders, is it just me or is anyone else thinking we should perhaps be a little more circumspect regarding the scale and content of our lethal aid being supplied to Ukraine? My first thought was, "ooh, I wonder how they're going to bring that in, and where".