Inflation

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Greenman

Re: Inflation

Post by Greenman »

Mussels wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:10 pm Let me guess, working man is a victim of the rich elite conspiracy?
It's not a conspiracy, it's a reality.

If it's not someone is stealing from all of our bank accounts!
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:16 am
Asian Boss wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:25 pm Does he explain it using quanta such as jet skis, tooley trucks, mock Tudor new builds and designer handbags for daughters left in other countries?
And when I went back to re-read it I noticed this - you're having a go at my daughter now? Really?

I put my online persona right out there, so I'll take any amount of forum shit/banter about me, but recently I've had Demo discussing my offline personal life with someone and now you're bring my kids into it. Toxicity here we come...:(
Are you calling my pint a lass? In which case it's a fight at playtime!

Of course I'm not having a go at your daughter. You keep going on about people making the choice to be poor, I'm alluding to your choice to be less so; which again, you have talked about here at length.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

slowsider wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:40 pm
Mussels wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:10 pm Let me guess, working man is a victim of the rich elite conspiracy?
I'm sure the rich elite are doing all they can for the working man.
I only have one data point but............

The cost and price of electricity has gone up smartly. Energy prices are 'capped' by the Government, but the daily standing charge (which is supposed to pay for the infrastructure) is not. So my electric price is going up ( necessary, undesirable but understandable too), BUT SO IS MY STANDING CHARGE. Mr Centrica (whoever he is) is making certain that HE is not going to lose out.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:06 pm
slowsider wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:40 pm
I'm sure the rich elite are doing all they can for the working man.
I only have one data point but............

The cost and price of electricity has gone up smartly. Energy prices are 'capped' by the Government, but the daily standing charge (which is supposed to pay for the infrastructure) is not. So my electric price is going up ( necessary, undesirable but understandable too), BUT SO IS MY STANDING CHARGE. Mr Centrica (whoever he is) is making certain that HE is not going to lose out.
Inflation innit? They're probably passing on the increased standing charges they have from the network operator. As far as I know they don't own/maintain the wires.You can get 'no standing charge' deals from some companies but it's hidden in the energy charge and is generally said to be a poorer option.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:06 pmEnergy prices are 'capped' by the Government, but the daily standing charge (which is supposed to pay for the infrastructure) is not.
The standing charge is capped.
IIRC* the cap is based on the cost to the 'average' user and the mix of standing charge and usage has to come in at or below it, but the usage and standing charge rates can't exceed the individual caps either.

Looked into it a while ago. What I am sure of is that the standing charge is indeed capped.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Old standing charge = 30.320 per day
New standing charge = 57.782 per day

Inflation ?
Average cost ?

I really don't think so1 This is fat cats getting fatter, and bollocks to the little people. Quite like the P&O Ferries really.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Yorick wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:20 pm
Potter wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:17 pm
weeksy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:14 pm
I don't want you to argue, I think I'm exceptionally fortunate, certainly compared to most, even in the UK.
I agree, so I am.
Some are not though and I was trying to offer a bit of advice because I know what it's like to struggle.
I sort of agree. Too many folk sit on their arse and cry the poor tale. The world doesn't owe you a living.
If you want something, you need to go out and get it.
If only it was that simple.

I agree with both of your attitudes and the fact is you can go out there and get it, but if you are from a working man background 'getting it' means earning enough to get by, there is a big difference between a working man with this sort of attitude and a man from a wealthy background! - the latter will have more oppertunities given to him/her and will most likely be the one to progress into big money professions, whilst the working man, with his limited education, will be given the least money possible to keep him/her happy.

It's standard economics, keep the poor man poor and capitalise from their weaknesses!

Why do you think we are in the state we are now, the rich just ignore the fact that the working man is the backbone of any country, and when shit hit's the fan, they can't take it and haver to go to war, war with the few, involving the many, the many innocent working people who just want peace!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

I don’t have much sympathy for “working man” and “working class” shit.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:06 pm I don’t have much sympathy for “working man” and “working class” shit.
All this covid and brexit shit has showed up all the rich with their big egos and pointless jobs to be completely and utterly useless, we don't need them in reality*, away from their made up economy illusions we the working people are the ones that are needed, but are always undervalued.

*It's why they all promote technology, reality has nothing left to give them!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

I was in full time employment from June 1976 until January this year.

Am I/was I working class, working people, working man or any of that tripe?
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:27 pm I was in full time employment from June 1976 until January this year.

You used to eat tripe!?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Greenman wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:42 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:27 pm I was in full time employment from June 1976 until January this year.

You used to eat tripe!?
I still eat Polish tripe they sell in a jar.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:47 pm Old standing charge = 30.320 per day
New standing charge = 57.782 per day

Inflation ?
Average cost ?

I really don't think so1 This is fat cats getting fatter, and bollocks to the little people. Quite like the P&O Ferries really.
Oof! Didn't realise it was nearly double (I'm with them too and hadn't noticed). That's a bit :thumbdown: The only positive I can see is that the typical rate looks to have been 37/38p so we might have been getting it cheap.

Be interesting to see what the others do if they're passing through network operator charges. Some will hide it in the unit price if they're 'no standing charge' contracts.

Wonder if they've been allowed to raise the cap to cover network upgrades for stuff like car charging?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

All I want for Christmas is the means of production.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Bit of a shitter when the cardiac surgeon you need to fit your pacemaker doesn't want any goatsmilk though right?

Greeny is right in one sense, the working man does have the power to run things if he works with his comrades, comrade. However you also only have to look at how factory workers were treated 150 years ago (or indeed, how they're treated in China ATM) to see things aren't as one sided as they might be.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Is “the working man” all those people who refuse to get a better job and refuse to be promoted to a better position?

We all know lots of people like that. Some are clever too. They use their capable mind and talents in displacement behaviours like being an expert on sport or politics, or a semi-pro musician, or just being witty in conversation.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:59 am All I want for Christmas is the means of production.
Marx did some good theorising.

They shouldn’t have made an “ism” out of it.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Potter wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:13 am Food, water, electricity and some surplus of whatever you have so you can trade, you don't need anything else in life and that's inflation proof.
But you do still have to pay your council tax! ;)

If I finally get round to generating my own electric I'll have ^ though.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:31 pm I'd get used to 10% inflation if I were you, the FED has backed right off, so unless something changes I'd get used to it for this year and next.

It looks increasingly likely that Russia, China, Saudi, the UAE, South Americia - basically anyone that isn't from the USA/Europe, might end up sitting down together and working out a monetary and energy policy. If that happens then the USA and EU are finished.
If it led to oil not being traded in dollars then the USA will be crippled and they could do something very silly.
India lives in fear of China as do many countries in the area, they might want an alternative system but not one that makes China more powerful.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:54 pm
Mussels wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:25 pm
India lives in fear of China as do many countries in the area, they might want an alternative system but not one that makes China more powerful.
The Indian news channels I watch are pretty sick of the USA, I think they'd be quite happy to form an alliance that reduces Americas influence on the world, all it's done is messed it up so far. I don't think India fears Russia or China half as much as it fears what the USA is up to.
Whether it became better or worse is another debate.
You don't think Modi has a grip on media output similar to Putin's?