In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The US have started the process of making "Daylight Savings" (why can't they have British Summer Time like a proper country?) a permanent thing. I'm honestly not sure if this is a piss take or not, but it's still only March!

Who cares about the US daylight savings? Well, not many on here I suppose, but I know it's been floated in the UK a few times and AFAIK the US would be the first western country to bin off seasonal clock changes.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-sen ... 022-03-15/
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

JamJar wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:57 am
Count Steer wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:59 am They probably mean vegetarian not vegan.
Having a veggie option at school meals :thumbup:
Council events? Who cares and who goes to them for the food?

It's 'twitter outrage' again. :roll:
They did mean vegan but it is only for the 12 council meetings a year so as you say, "twitter outrage".
Nice that they get it right (unlike the eggs, cheese and fish eating 'vegans').

If they'd said 'We won't be providing any food at council meetings to save money', people would say 'good show'.
Because they won't be serving meat etc there's a faux howl of outrage whipped up by a fat-bloke-in-jeans-media-farmer and/or 'I eat meat, me' from people that don't attend council meetings. Zzzzzzz.....
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:17 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:59 am They probably mean vegetarian not vegan.

They did mean vegan but it is only for the 12 council meetings a year so as you say, "twitter outrage".

If they'd said 'We won't be providing any food at council meetings to save money', people would say 'good show'.
Because they won't be serving meat etc there's a faux howl of outrage whipped up by a fat-bloke-in-jeans-media-farmer and/or 'I eat meat, me' from people that don't attend council meetings. Zzzzzzz.....
Don' t they know there's war on ?
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

What's going on with P&O? - P&O cancels services and tells ships to stay in port
P&O Ferries has paused its services "in preparation for a company announcement" later on Thursday.

The ferry operator said it was not going into liquidation but all ferries had been instructed to stay in port.

Union RMT urged the firm to protect jobs amid speculation that hundreds of crewmembers could "be sacked and replaced with foreign labour".

As a result some sailings scheduled for today have been cancelled, with passengers told to use other companies.

P&O services scheduled today include 14 between Dover and Calais and three between Liverpool and Dublin.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Lutin wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:13 am What's going on with P&O? - P&O cancels services and tells ships to stay in port
P&O Ferries has paused its services "in preparation for a company announcement" later on Thursday.

The ferry operator said it was not going into liquidation but all ferries had been instructed to stay in port.

Union RMT urged the firm to protect jobs amid speculation that hundreds of crewmembers could "be sacked and replaced with foreign labour".

As a result some sailings scheduled for today have been cancelled, with passengers told to use other companies.

P&O services scheduled today include 14 between Dover and Calais and three between Liverpool and Dublin.
Are they officially changing their name to 'Piss and Ordure' and need to repaint the boats?
non quod, sed quomodo
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:56 pm The US have started the process of making "Daylight Savings" (why can't they have British Summer Time like a proper country?) a permanent thing. I'm honestly not sure if this is a piss take or not, but it's still only March!

Who cares about the US daylight savings? Well, not many on here I suppose, but I know it's been floated in the UK a few times and AFAIK the US would be the first western country to bin off seasonal clock changes.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-sen ... 022-03-15/
The U.K. did the same: 1968-71 “British Standard Time.”
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:18 am
Lutin wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:13 am What's going on with P&O? - P&O cancels services and tells ships to stay in port

Are they officially changing their name to 'Piss and Ordure' and need to repaint the boats?
Sacked 800 crew :wtf:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

P&O have sacked the crews with no notice and had replacement crews waiting on the shore to take over, I'm surprised that's legal.
Now ex-crews have locked themselves in ships with accidental hostages after seeing nothing but a pre-recorded message, I wonder if P&O rushed this so it wasn't the biggest headline.
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:17 pm

It's the Council's woke virtue signalling that is Image

As you say, no food should be served.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

You couldn't make it up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 ... ansgender/

Probably behind a paywall so here it is in full.
Hospital told police patient was not raped because alleged attacker was transgender
Assault was confirmed through CCTV and witnesses despite previous denials, Lords told, as debate on single-sex wards policy continues

By
Hayley Dixon,
SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT
17 March 2022 • 8:00pm

A hospital told the police that a patient could not have been raped because her alleged attacker was trans, the House of Lords has heard.

The attack took place a year ago and the woman reported it but when officers contacted the hospital, which has not been named, they were told “that there was no male in the hospital, therefore the rape could not have happened”.

Baroness Nicholson of Winterbourne, who raised the issue during a debate on single-sex wards, continued: “They forgot that there was CCTV, nurses and observers.

“None the less, it has taken nearly a year for the hospital to agree that there was a male on the ward and, yes, this rape happened.

“During that year she has almost come to the edge of a nervous breakdown, because being disbelieved about being raped in hospital has been such an appalling shock. The hospital, with all its CCTV, has had to admit that the rape happened and that it was committed by a man.”

Investigated by the police
The legal definition of rape means that it can only be carried out by a physically intact man.

The case is currently being investigated by the police.

Lady Nicholson said that the case had arisen as a direct result of the NHS policy – known as Annex B - which allows patients to be placed on single-sex wards according to the gender with which they identify at the time.

“The result of Annex B is that hospital trusts inform ward sisters and nurses that if there is a male, as a trans person, in a female ward, and a female patient or anyone complains, they must be told that it is not true - there is no male there,” she told the upper chamber.

“I think it is completely wrong that the National Health Service should be instructing or allowing staff to mislead patients -to tell a straightforward lie. It is not acceptable.”

She called for the policy to be withdrawn arguing that it “gives priority to trans people over women” and therefore threatens the “dignity, privacy and safety” of female patients.

Lady Nicholson said that the policy undermines the provision of single-sex wards which were voted on by Parliament and “undermines" protections for women that "took at least 50 years to come through”.

The former MP said that by adding the self-identification clause in the policy on eliminating mixed-sex accommodation: “Parliament has been ignored and bypassed and surreptitiously something far-reaching has been brought in that affects all families, all faiths, all identities and all levels of society. In place of sex-based rights, we are giving priority rights to one special section of society.”

She said that she had not seen such “filleting of legislation anywhere before in Britain” and it was “cheating the public”.

The policy is being reviewed by the NHS but as this newspaper revealed, one of those carrying out that review is a “trans advocate”.

'Strengthening of trans rights'
Before the consultation on the issue closed, Dr Michael Brady promised campaigners that the “commitment from the team leading on the review is supporting the maintenance/strengthening of trans rights in the update”.

A coalition of women’s rights groups including doctors and nurses have written to the Health Secretary complaining that they were not consulted. Baroness Fox of Buckley said that the review is “not satisfactory” as it has “no public terms of reference” and is being “carried out in secret”.

She said that the fact that Dr Brady is the NHS “LGBT adviser might make him rather the opposite of impartial”.

Referring to The Telegraph article, she added: “I want the Government to take this seriously and recognise that when somebody says that there are no plans to reduce the existing rights of transgender people, what women hear - if I can translate it - is that women-only wards are not guaranteed at all.

“I want the Government to be honest with us about what they believe they are arguing for. I also want them to take us away from having to discover these things in newspapers and, instead, assure us that a new review will be set up that is independent and fully resourced.”

Lady Nicholson’s proposals were opposed by Lord Etherton QC, who argued that the current policy was “entirely appropriate and consistent with the anti-discrimination law in the Equality Act”.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

The trans movement is looking more and more like PIE.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I recall from previous threads on here that there are RTTL members who can't believe that sort of thing could or would happen. In fact I reckon I could name them but as nobody ever changes their mind from what they read on internet forums they'll still believe it couldn't happen and that I and others are simply transphobic.

They'll know who they are of course and I guess will soon be responding with the same woke shite - everyone must be treated equally even if it means that one weirdo/pedo/sex offender gets a free ride to be a c*nt.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yambo wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:55 am I recall from previous threads on here that there are RTTL members who can't believe that sort of thing could or would happen. In fact I reckon I could name them but as nobody ever changes their mind from what they read on internet forums they'll still believe it couldn't happen and that I and others are simply transphobic.

They'll know who they are of course and I guess will soon be responding with the same woke shite - everyone must be treated equally even if it means that one weirdo/pedo/sex offender gets a free ride to be a c*nt.
I've never taken the opinion that criminal behaviour should change the position on equal rights, you either have equal rights or you don't.
It's a circular argument and I do have sympathy with what you're saying, I'd be very unhappy if that was my daughter, but like I said you either subscribe to equal rights or you let nature be the decider, the UK has settled with democracy and equal rights, some criminals take advantage of it, what to do.

I choose to live somewhere that is stricter and aligns more with what I prefer. I'm assuming they're also a bit more traditional where you are as well?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

What we are talking about is a very small bunch of people who are not happy with equal rights and are demanding extra 'rights'. They want the right to be treated as something they are not.

Equal rights in this context acknowledge that there are differences between men and women, that they are not equal but should have equality in various areas of life, equality of opportunity for example. Your idea of equality is unattainable and your support for these weirdos is eroding the very equalities that have been fought for and attained. They are detrimental to women.

It's pretty selfish to say you'd be unhappy if it was your daughter involved in this rape, so would I be because I think all women, not just your daughter should not have to suffer sexual assaults. Your wife for example, would it be OK if she was raped by some sex offender, the woman buying bread in a supermarket . . . ? You know, all women, but not some weirdo who simply 'identifies as a woman'.

That, and support for it under the equality banner is just wrong. IMHO of course.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

A woman can rape a man, so don't see the point in all that shit.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Yorick wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:53 pm A woman can rape a man, so don't see the point in all that shit.
Personally and maybe unlike you I think any case of rape is bad.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yambo wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:36 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:53 pm A woman can rape a man, so don't see the point in all that shit.
Personally and maybe unlike you I think any case of rape is bad.
Of course. Where did I hint it wasn't?
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Mussels wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:07 pm P&O have sacked the crews with no notice and had replacement crews waiting on the shore to take over, I'm surprised that's legal.
Now ex-crews have locked themselves in ships with accidental hostages after seeing nothing but a pre-recorded message, I wonder if P&O rushed this so it wasn't the biggest headline.
I read somewhere that our labour laws have been weakened since leaving the EU.
This seems to be an example of it.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

demographic wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:57 pm
Mussels wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:07 pm P&O have sacked the crews with no notice and had replacement crews waiting on the shore to take over, I'm surprised that's legal.
Not sure if that's the case, though one union claims some staff have been approached and told they can be rehired as agency workers. The Govt blocked a bill that would have stopped 'fire and rehire' last year (from memory).
According to the Yorkshire Post, the RMT have said there is now an Eastern European crew on board the Pride of Hull, being paid 'as little as £2.60-£2.80 per hour.' No idea how they've managed to get around UK min wage laws, if that is true. I can only guess they've been contracted abroad and only need to be paid the min wage of their country of residence, which would be peanuts if Eastern Europe?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Hoonercat wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:44 pm
demographic wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:57 pm
Not sure if that's the case, though one union claims some staff have been approached and told they can be rehired as agency workers. The Govt blocked a bill that would have stopped 'fire and rehire' last year (from memory).
According to the Yorkshire Post, the RMT have said there is now an Eastern European crew on board the Pride of Hull, being paid 'as little as £2.60-£2.80 per hour.' No idea how they've managed to get around UK min wage laws, if that is true. I can only guess they've been contracted abroad and only need to be paid the min wage of their country of residence, which would be peanuts if Eastern Europe?
Shipping is a real maze of dodges of regional employment laws. P&O reregistered all their ships that play the channel in Cyprus in 2019 to 'avoid complications arising from Brexit'. Quite how that works per employment law - as Cyprus is in the EU - I don't know, unless they registered in Northern Cyprus. Half the ships that appear to belong to the UK seem to be manned by Philippinos or south Asians and are registered wherever is favourable. I don't think there are many UK based crews left - apart from customer facing peeps on cruises.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire