29%
Maybe
22%

Total votes: 41

irie

Re: Will Russia invade the Ukraine?

Post by irie »

Agree with you Dazzle.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:08 pm I agree...but FWIW this whole right wing thing has hardly been brushed under the carpet AFAICT. There have been front page articles about it on the mainstream news sites in the last few weeks for example.

The "nutter" tag for me comes in when people are a)claiming that its a secret that is hidden away and b)Zelensky - a Jew who won a huge chunk of the popular vote - owes his success to their support.

As for Iranian oil and the like. Personally I'd rather pay a higher gas bill, but I know most wouldn't and many can't.
I believe the group were banned from Twitter etc. but recently big tech decided they weren't so bad after all. Must be nice to let <whoever they are> do all the thinking for you. (I don't mean "you" you @Mr. Dazzle )

Thank goodness the entire mainstream media industry and big tech are still protecting us from Trump. Bet he still wins the next election tho...

Anyhow, I think you should out those nutters claiming the neo-Nazi group was "a secret" or that Zelensky "owes his success" to their support. I did say he "needed their support" since he most certainly did need it in the more recent local elections. That comment was based on some report or other I'll try and dig out.

I have seen that very figure you quote which refers to the landslide victory in the presidential elections. More recently, his party is struggling to hold on to power having lost all of the local mayoral elections to Russian backed political figures. I think that, as much as anything, gave Putin all the excuse he needed to go in an "rescue" the country.

It will be difficult to quote any sources for that "Russian propaganda" since it has all been heavily censored. I think it is an important question to consider rather than just ignore or claim it doesn't exist as an issue. Other opinions are available. Doesn't make me a "nutter" thanks for asking.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:13 pm .............More recently, his party is struggling to hold on to power having lost all of the local mayoral elections to Russian backed political figures. I think that, as much as anything, gave Putin all the excuse he needed to go in an "rescue" the country.
Strange that. Only next door in Belarus that Russian-backed chap Lukashenko won his recent election too. Russia always seems to pick the most popular people.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:54 pm
irie wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:39 pm Ignore me too, no probs. It's what you do anyway with anyone who disagrees with you or, perish the thought, knows more than you about anything! :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Bruno was burnt at the stake in 1600 by the Catholic Church. You won't know what for of course, so I'll help you out. He was executed mainly because of his belief in cosmic pluralism engendered by his own and others observation of the cosmos, and he refused to recant. Very much like your own views, much akin to religious beliefs, which incorporate non-objective and unverifiable conspiracy theories from which you have created a self-consistent but false view of the world.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:56 pm Have you ever considered that maybe some things can be taken as read Iccy?

For example, I don't recall seeing you directly condone the bombing of hospitals in Ukraine. Am I to infer that you support that then? Of course not.
Yeah, catching up with this thread and it's got very weird. Suddenly everyone is somehow a Nazi for not virtual signalling explicitly in a post. :wtf:

Anyone not disagreeing with Nazis is an arsehole. But equally I'm not seeing the Russians as the good guys here.

And then its gone ming mong ping pong prove this that or the other as usual.

Sounds like everyone needs a night off and a chill.

Just hope peace talks work at somepoint as in the meantime lots of civilians and young men in uniform on both sides are dying for not much good.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'm just hoping once this all does down we can go back to being virtual friends. I feel some people are burning bridges.
G.P

Post by G.P »

in the spirit of online discussion tradition @Supermofo I suspect you may have meant "virtue signalling"? :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Yambo wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:03 pm
Potter wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:56 pm

Is that gas lighting? I'm not sure exactly on the term, but I think it's when someone is clearly on the money but you try and make them feel like they're a bit mental because the truth is too unpleasant.

Interesting how there is not a single condemnation for Ukraine and their white supremacist Nazi army regiments.

Boris and Truss have jumped into bed with the Iranians, they're sucking up to the Saudis, tacitly supporting Eastern European Nazism, but not a peep out of any of you.
No. 10 has a party and it's full pitchforks out, but all that going on above and you're oh so quietly climbing into bed with Boris now because it suits you.

You still looking to buy a house in Suffolk?
He'll fit right in
Le_Fromage_Grande

This thread has got very weird
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

G.P wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:16 pm in the spirit of online discussion tradition @Supermofo I suspect you may have meant "virtue signalling"? :)
Why you.......

Were right of course :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

G.P wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:16 pm in the spirit of online discussion tradition @Supermofo I suspect you may have meant "virtue signalling"? :)
I quite like the idea of 'virtual signalling' though. It's a bit like semaphore with no flags or an Aldis lamp with no bulb. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:29 pm
I quite like the idea of 'virtual signalling' though. It's a bit like semaphore with no flags or an Aldis lamp with no bulb. :D
BMW and Audi drivers have been practicing it for years in Suffolk
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

It is weird. This is not a black and white situation, clearly there were diplomatic solutions available to this obvious threat. Russia had just invaded Crimea, no one seemed to mind. Then a quarter of a million troops amass on the Ukrainian border, armed to the teeth. It’s not rocket science.

The West chose to do nothing. They chose wrong.

Yes Putin is an evil, criminal thug. Anyone here surprised to hear that? Dozens of gigantically expensive super yachts and half the London property market are a bit of a clue. We know what Russia is and yet have allowed them to run riot after telegraphing their intentions. Millions of people displaced, thousands dead because we called his bluff.

He’s in a corner now, threatening nukes. Let’s just hope nobody calls his “bluff” again….
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:15 pm

He’s in a corner now, threatening nukes. Let’s just hope nobody calls his “bluff” again….
I think is exactly what you have to do. He isn't going to stop until he is skint, dead or scared
Felix

Post by Felix »

Nut Jobs demands for Peace. Sorry for the poor mans main stream media :roll:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60785754
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Grammar nazi !

;)
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:29 pm
Like a Lidls lamp but not so desirable.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:08 pm I agree...but FWIW this whole right wing thing has hardly been brushed under the carpet AFAICT. There have been front page articles about it on the mainstream news sites in the last few weeks for example.

The "nutter" tag for me comes in when people are a)claiming that its a secret that is hidden away and b)Zelensky - a Jew who won a huge chunk of the popular vote - owes his success to their support.

As for Iranian oil and the like. Personally I'd rather pay a higher gas bill, but I know most wouldn't and many can't.
It's not quite mainstream news in western media, although it is there if you look, I know about it from browsing independent news and talking to the Ukrainians at work - yet when I posted about it I had (for example) Irie in disbelief and demanding I prove it, DT saying he'd seen nothing about it and Hoonercat saying it's only a small percentage of them, then a few others chipping in to gaslight me claiming I'm a paranoid weirdo.

There is no virtue signalling, I called out a far-right army in place, well provisioned and fully supported by the west.
I took some shit, but now you accept it. I'm not frothing about it or burning bridges, but if any of you are then that's left with you.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:06 am it, DT saying he'd seen nothing about it
Certainly very little.
I'm always interested, when folk take the "opposite view" of what's being reported, how they've come to that conclusion.

I'm (still) not convinced that 99% of western medias, supported by a multitude of good journalists, are susceptible to government influence across the board. I just don't think the unanimity is very likely. You don't think the guardian, for example, that haven for stoopid lefties, would be all over exposing Ukrainian Nazis?

But yeah try and convince me in a way that doesn't make it sound like you're glued to the dark web waiting for an opportunity to accuse the sheeple.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Felix wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:48 pm Nut Jobs demands for Peace. Sorry for the poor mans main stream media :roll:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60785754
Ukraine would have to undergo a disarmament process to ensure it wasn't a threat to Russia.
Just lol.