Ukraine, housing a refugee.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mussels

Re: Ukraine, housing a refugee.

Post by Mussels »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:35 am Putin is an arse, before you accuse me of being a Russian troll. But.... he wanted to JOIN NATO, we wouldnt let him, as without the Russian bogeyman, NATO had no purpose and all those lovely arms contracts....well, they would be ahrder to justify to the good ol' tax payer.
That's interesting, I hadn't heard that. It also seems to be missing a bit. Putin said he wanted an invite to NATO and was told to apply like everyone else, he didn't like that and didn't apply.
Potter

Post by Potter »

JamJar wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:08 am No they weren't, people keep trotting this shit out all the time but Europe, especially Germany took nearly a million Syrian refugees.
I don't want to speak for him but I assumed he meant the UK, most people weren't too bothered about them drowning in the channel.

Imagine being one of the hundreds of unaccompanied non-Ukrainian refugee children, sitting in squalor in a refugee camp in France, watching hungrily as the Ukrainians walk past on their red carpet right over to freshly baked UK benefits and housing.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Mussels wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:10 am
Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:35 am Putin is an arse, before you accuse me of being a Russian troll. But.... he wanted to JOIN NATO, we wouldnt let him, as without the Russian bogeyman, NATO had no purpose and all those lovely arms contracts....well, they would be ahrder to justify to the good ol' tax payer.
That's interesting, I hadn't heard that. It also seems to be missing a bit. Putin said he wanted an invite to NATO and was told to apply like everyone else, he didn't like that and didn't apply.
Maybe, maybe not. But seeing how NATO was created to keep the Russian bogeyman away, it does seem sensible the leader of the bogeyman clan wanting to join should have been seen as a huge opportunity for world peace, and the lessening of nuclear arsenals etc. We should have grasped that opportunity with both hands, but didn't because.... *drum roll* arms contracts.

The West has created this mess, and in its usual manner has made the sheeple believe they are the innocent partys. Again we meddled with a foriegn country's government, helping to install a pro-EU leader (an ex comedian) promised him the earth and as soon as it blows up in his face, the west backs away while blaming it all on Putin. Poke the bear enough and eventually it will bite.

There was no need for NATO to expand post cold war, it should have taken the chance to get Russia in the club and mould greater world peace from there. It didn't, instead it expanded to his doorstep and then we are amaazed an horrified when he flips out and invades Ukraine. The USA wasnt too keen on Russia putting arms in Cuba... why would Russia be happy with the continual expansion of USA arms on its doorstep.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:22 am
The West has created this mess, and in its usual manner has made the sheeple believe they are the innocent partys. Again we meddled with a foriegn country's government, helping to install a pro-EU leader (an ex comedian) promised him the earth and as soon as it blows up in his face, the west backs away while blaming it all on Putin.
A pro-EU leader that armed criminal gangs and neo-Nazis to help hold onto power.

It was always going to end in bloody civil war or a descent into something akin to Somalia - Putin stepped in to try and stop it, but as always these foreign invasions don't usually work so well - especially when America decides it doesn't want it to.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:34 am
Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:22 am
The West has created this mess, and in its usual manner has made the sheeple believe they are the innocent partys. Again we meddled with a foriegn country's government, helping to install a pro-EU leader (an ex comedian) promised him the earth and as soon as it blows up in his face, the west backs away while blaming it all on Putin.
A pro-EU leader that armed criminal gangs and neo-Nazis to help hold onto power.

It was always going to end in bloody civil war or a descent into something akin to Somalia - Putin stepped in to try and stop it, but as always these foreign invasions don't usually work so well - especially when America decides it doesn't want it to.
Zero mention in the western media of the mass grave of civilians Russia uncovered in Donbas. Ukraine has plenty of blood on its hands.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

So the UK finally gets it's own way to keep out the darkies and eastern european diddicoys by closing the borders.
And your man-of-the-people Farage regularly cheers on drownings in the Channel aided by stoney-faced Priti Nasty Patel, whilst Boris is looking the other way at his drinks party.

But those that want to help are the racists?

It's the least convincing bit of spin ever really innit?
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:12 am So the UK finally gets it's own way to keep out the darkies and eastern european diddicoys by closing the borders.
And your man-of-the-people Farage regularly cheers on drownings in the Channel aided by stoney-faced Priti Nasty Patel, whilst Boris is looking the other way at his drinks party.

You’ve been at the sherry again….
Potter

Post by Potter »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:54 am
Zero mention in the western media of the mass grave of civilians Russia uncovered in Donbas. Ukraine has plenty of blood on its hands.
The mass graves thing has been going on for ages, with both sides pointing the finger at the other.
IIRC the Russians went to the European Court of Human Rights to try and get it resolved early last year, but no joy.

It's actual documented fact that the Ukrainian government forces tortured people back in the last conflict, bodies were recovered and verified by Amnesty IIRC.
Since then more criminal gangs and militias were armed and empowered, so no reason to think it stopped.

To be honest I didn't know much about it but I work with Ukrainians, so I asked them and they gave me a fairly unbiased potted history - none of them want to be Russian btw, I previously thought one was pro-Russian because he seemed anti-EU but he got annoyed when I said that - apparently you can be neither.

I'm not arguing just cause for an invasion, but if such a justification exists then Putin had at least as much justification as any of the western invasions/actions.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:12 am So the UK finally gets it's own way to keep out the darkies and eastern european diddicoys by closing the borders.

It's impressive how a conflict thousands of miles away manages to become an anti-Tory thing.
Some people will be inclined to take in Ukrainians just because they think it's a protest vote against the Conservative Party.

It runs deep.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:29 am
Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:54 am
The mass graves thing has been going on for ages, with both sides pointing the finger at the other.
IIRC the Russians went to the European Court of Human Rights to try and get it resolved early last year, but no joy.

It's actual documented fact that the Ukrainian government forces tortured people back in the last conflict, bodies were recovered and verified by Amnesty IIRC.
Since then more criminal gangs and militias were armed and empowered, so no reason to think it stopped.

To be honest I didn't know much about it but I work with Ukrainians, so I asked them and they gave me a fairly unbiased potted history - none of them want to be Russian btw, I previously thought one was pro-Russian because he seemed anti-EU but he got annoyed when I said that - apparently you can be neither.

I'm not arguing just cause for an invasion, but if such a justification exists then Putin had at least as much justification as any of the western invasions/actions.
I'm far from pro-Putin but you have to wonder why the West has, yet again, helped cause a bigger issue. We will likely now fall back to another cold war, assuming this doesn't ramp up into full scale WW3 and the nuclear annihilation of us all. Who benefits from this? Oh yeah, those big old arms companies and the politicians in their pockets.

We scoff at Russias "controlled media" - when ours is no better; it just parrots the rhetoric from our lords and masters, with the same bias, the same exclusion of other angles. I don't trust Putin as far as I could throw him, but that said, I don't Boris, Biden et al either.

Let's be honest, the Western leaders only really care about Ukriane at all because of it's huge natural resources and it's another puppet to poke Russia with.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:16 am
JamJar wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:08 am No they weren't, people keep trotting this shit out all the time but Europe, especially Germany took nearly a million Syrian refugees.
I don't want to speak for him but I assumed he meant the UK, most people weren't too bothered about them drowning in the channel.

Imagine being one of the hundreds of unaccompanied non-Ukrainian refugee children, sitting in squalor in a refugee camp in France, watching hungrily as the Ukrainians walk past on their red carpet right over to freshly baked UK benefits and housing.
He might have been but his exact words where "people were closing their borders" which infers multiple countries and they are numerous countries that took refugees from Syria.
Potter

Post by Potter »

My view on these superpower type 'wars', having met some of the leaders, is that they honestly don't know what it means, they come from privileged backgrounds and have never even had a smack in the mouth, let alone been shot at.

The Americans are the worst because they also have a massive god complex as well, they literally cannot comprehend being beaten, that's why their veterans have always had a hard time, because a disabled veteran is not a sign of victory - although now they turned them into heroes and it's a symbol of sacrifice for the nation.

I've been all over the world and shared food/drink with all sorts of people, I've rarely met anyone that I wanted to kill once I stopped believing the lies I'd grown up with.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:57 am My view on these superpower type 'wars', having met some of the leaders, is that they honestly don't know what it means, they come from privileged backgrounds and have never even had a smack in the mouth, let alone been shot at.

The Americans are the worst because they also have a massive god complex as well, they literally cannot comprehend being beaten, that's why their veterans have always had a hard time, because a disabled veteran is not a sign of victory - although now they turned them into heroes and it's a symbol of sacrifice for the nation.

I've been all over the world and shared food/drink with all sorts of people, I've rarely met anyone that I wanted to kill once I stopped believing the lies I'd grown up with.
We need to go back to the old way... with the country leader on the battlefield leading the charge... I bet there would be a lot fewer wars.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:02 am
Potter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:57 am My view on these superpower type 'wars', having met some of the leaders, is that they honestly don't know what it means, they come from privileged backgrounds and have never even had a smack in the mouth, let alone been shot at.

We need to go back to the old way... with the country leader on the battlefield leading the charge... I bet there would be a lot fewer wars.
There would be a faster turnover of leaders.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:32 am
It's impressive how a conflict thousands of miles away manages to become an anti-Tory thing.
Some people will be inclined to take in Ukrainians just because they think it's a protest vote against the Conservative Party.

It runs deep.
To be fair, I doubt that they're even saying that in the DM, are you getting this directly from Farage? ;) It's the sort of I-can't-keep-my-gob-shut-oh-christ-i-have-20-minutes-of-dead-air waffle that he's known for on that Brexit News programme.

But it's impressive how kindness can be parroted into racism and now apparently militant-anti-toryism
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

slowsider wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:16 am
Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:02 am We need to go back to the old way... with the country leader on the battlefield leading the charge... I bet there would be a lot fewer wars.
There would be a faster turnover of leaders.
So benefits either way then... :banana-wrench:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

So how many people on here have applied for their Ukranian maid / live in lover?

I'm looking forward to all the pictures of you welcoming them into the family home.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:13 pm So how many people on here have applied for their Ukranian maid / live in lover?

I'm looking forward to all the pictures of you welcoming them into the family home.
They're all too busy arguing like kids and trying to score points.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Yorick wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:17 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:13 pm So how many people on here have applied for their Ukranian maid / live in lover?

They're all too busy arguing like kids and trying to score points.
They'd fit in well at the United Nations
Potter

Post by Potter »

We've had one that used to have a Ukrainian maid and now is considering another one.
Other than that it's the usual "I would if I could but I'm washing my hair that evening...".