Ukraine, housing a refugee.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
wheelnut

Re: Ukraine, housing a refugee.

Post by wheelnut »

the_priest wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:33 pm When there was the massive exodus from Syria, people were closing their borders and doing their best to play pass the Syrian. All of a sudden we have a "let us help Ukraine" movement (and rightly so) but the people in Afghanistan are given a cold shoulder. Racism in refugee status is all to prevalent.

I would like to help a refugee, but do not have the space in my home, I have a vulnerable young teenage daughter as well. So my priorities are elsewhere in this regard, but I am working with the church to enable safe refuge and sanctuary, regardless of religion/race/origin.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

One of my in-laws has been taking in refugees for some time from all over the place (I briefly met one of them, wasn't really paying attention as my in-law is a weirdo - let's just say he looked like a skinny African and he couldn't speak the lingo). He seemed nice enough but he looked terribly bewildered by the whole middle class UK thing. I don't think it was a bed of roses on either side, being nice isn't often enough - I get the impression he'd almost have rather been back home being shot at than living with well intentioned northern lefties.

But there you go, they tried I suppose. I bet she has a house full of Ukrainians now.
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:42 pm
You'll have to explain those other reasons.
I think racism plays a part, but in this instance I think it's two other things mostly driving it, it's people being led by the nose by the government/media, and it's been scooped up as fashionable positioning, last month it was people not wearing masks are demons, now it's save-a-Ukrainian.

The powers that be want you to feel solidarity for the Ukrainians because they need support from the public to promote their "Russia = Bad, and we're all in it together" stuff.
And the leftist fashionistas want to create a movement to virtue signal and it has the massive benefit (to them) that they can use it politically.

Racism comes in third, ten yards behind them two.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Nope.

It’s funny isn’t it. The USA has been bombing the shit out of various countries and civilians for decades. Putin does it and OMG how evil is he and everyone scurries about gathering aid, giving up rooms in their homes etc etc etc. I guess these ones are white enough to care about.

I guess it does give the internets vaccine and virus experts a new role now covid has suddenly vanished from sight.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:27 am Nope.

It’s funny isn’t it. The USA has been bombing the shit out of various countries and civilians for decades. Putin does it and OMG how evil is he and everyone scurries about gathering aid, giving up rooms in their homes etc etc etc. I guess these ones are white enough to care about.

I guess it does give the internets vaccine and virus experts a new role now covid has suddenly vanished from sight.
Is that really how you see it ? Or are you just looking to provoke reactions ? I'm far from political, but i really don't see it like that.

You think the US have just been attacking in the same way as Putin is ? For what end goal ? to overthrow a country/power in the same way and take over it ? or to help someone who has been put-upon by another force ?
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:45 am
Is that really how you see it ? Or are you just looking to provoke reactions ? I'm far from political, but i really don't see it like that.

You think the US have just been attacking in the same way as Putin is ? For what end goal ? to overthrow a country/power in the same way and take over it ? or to help someone who has been put-upon by another force ?
Edited to add...take a trip to Afghanistan and ask them if they think the west helped them or shafted them.

Yes, of course the west has overthrown governments to try and take over - way, way more than Russia ever has.
Do you still think the conquistadors went to South America to help them :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:57 am
Edited to add...take a trip to Afghanistan and ask them if they think the west helped them or shafted them.
Unlike you, i've never been.... hence why i'm discussing it.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:05 am
I believed what I had been conditioned to believe all my life, until I stepped outside of it and now many years later I look back to a system of education, media and government that amounts to brainwashing it's citizens. It looks like you totally believe that the west is on the side of divine righteousness and you're surprised at anyone that doesn't.

Bombing/invading countries is good if the USA says so because they're on the side of good.
Bombing/invading countries is bad if Russia says so because they're the baddies.

What's actually real and what's just propaganda, how about something like Cowboys (the Americans) & Indians (the baddies), are the Indians still the baddies? They must be, America said so and a thousand movies can't be wrong, a whole race of people permanently displaced and marginalised based on lies.
Last edited by Potter on Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

There's certainly a whiff of hypocrisy but I don't remember the States threatening nuclear war with anyone who interfered with their interfering. Russia has been supporting opposing groups in the middle east for years but now it's invading a neighbour the rules have to change?
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

weeksy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:05 am
Potter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:57 am
The west aided the mujahideen freedom fighters against the Russians back in the 80s. Watch 'Charlie Wilson's War' for an accessible perspective. When they started fighting against the west they became terrorists.

Before Saddam became the bad guy, he was the west's bestie against Iran, who had rejected a pro-western leader. The Iranian revolution kicked off because the US & UK supported a coup against a democratically elected govt.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:20 am
There's certainly a whiff of hypocrisy but I don't remember the States threatening nuclear war with anyone who interfered with their interfering. Russia has been supporting opposing groups in the middle east for years but now it's invading a neighbour the rules have to change?
The pro-Remain group offered up the threat of nuclear war just for voting Brexit :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:19 am t looks like you totally believe that the west is on the side of divine righteousness and you're surprised at anyone that doesn't.
LOL don't be silly now.... you can't tell me what i do or don't believe..... Mostly becuase, i don't actually believe anything in this context as i don't have enough knowledge either way
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:21 am
The west aided the mujahideen freedom fighters against the Russians back in the 80s. Watch 'Charlie Wilson's War' for an accessible perspective. When they started fighting against the west they became terrorists.

Before Saddam became the bad guy, he was the west's bestie against Iran, who had rejected a pro-western leader. The Iranian revolution kicked off because the US & UK supported a coup against a democratically elected govt.
The west also got the UN to condemn Russia's invasion of Afghanistan, then also got them to conveniently turn a blind eye when they had a crack at it a decade later.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:23 am
LOL don't be silly now.... you can't tell me what i do or don't believe..... Mostly becuase, i don't actually believe anything in this context as i don't have enough knowledge either way
With the language you used you seemed really surprised that Wratty hadn't swallowed the western propaganda - and you even asked if he was just trolling for a reaction.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

weeksy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:45 am

Its how I see it.

Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria etc etc.

We aided the USA in killing hundreds of thousands of people in Iraq - under the guise of WMD, when in fact it was to stop Saddam moving away from the USD and selling his oil in Euros. We only care about Ukraine because thats what we have been told we must do, and they are white enought o care about. We fucked over the people in Afghanistan but they are a bit brown to care about so thats ok.

People have been told Putin is evil, yet no one is mentioning the UKraines have been killing their own in the Donbas region since 2014. What about the mass graves and NATO funded bio labs? Possibly Russian propoganda, possibly not, but it doesnt even make our news.

NATO (ie the USA) is the biggest threat to world peace, at the end of the cold war, it should have reduced, or at least not expanded. Its pushed forward more and more, why? Russia wasnt a threat, up until this, the USA was the only super power still going around the world invading and bombing the shit out of countries, killing civillians in their tens of thousands. That never makes the news like this. So why don't you care so much for all the people who died in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan? Why aren't people opening up their spare bedrooms for them?

Putin is an arse, before you accuse me of being a Russian troll. But.... he wanted to JOIN NATO, we wouldnt let him, as without the Russian bogeyman, NATO had no purpose and all those lovely arms contracts....well, they would be ahrder to justify to the good ol' tax payer.
Docca

Post by Docca »

Yes, we’ll be applying to help. That probably makes me a racist.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Docca wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:41 am Yes, we’ll be applying to help. That probably makes me a racist.
Good try, but you wouldnt have been one of those crying to close the borders from the Syrians etc.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Docca wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:41 am Yes, we’ll be applying to help. That probably makes me a racist.
Honest question then, why now?
Why haven't you previously taken in African or Middle Eastern refugees, there were plenty around.
Docca

Post by Docca »

Three reasons: one of our AU Pairs was Ukrainian and it looks as though the process this time around is a lot easier. The third reason is purely because I think we’ve been shocking on how we’ve supported folk so far.

No, I wasn’t one of those shouting to close borders.

Don’t know what we’ll get- we might not be suitable, but we’ve put our hand up.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

the_priest wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:33 pm When there was the massive exodus from Syria, people were closing their borders and doing their best to play pass the Syrian. All of a sudden we have a "let us help Ukraine" movement (and rightly so) but the people in Afghanistan are given a cold shoulder. Racism in refugee status is all to prevalent.

I would like to help a refugee, but do not have the space in my home, I have a vulnerable young teenage daughter as well. So my priorities are elsewhere in this regard, but I am working with the church to enable safe refuge and sanctuary, regardless of religion/race/origin.
No they weren't, people keep trotting this shit out all the time but Europe, especially Germany took nearly a million Syrian refugees.