Is Russia just about to invade Ukraine?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Felix

Re: Is Russia just about to invade Ukraine?

Post by Felix »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:49 pm
Felix wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:51 pm That will teach the bastards :D https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60530513
Now if we can only get them to ban us too .................
On the news earlier when they were shouting for calls to ban them the organisers were saying no as politics have nothing to do with the competition. Aye right. Brexit is behind us getting no points the last time out. Saying that its well past its sell by date
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I think Putin is in deep shit. This escalation is nothing compared to what he might be prepared to do. In fact, I suspect what he NEEDS right now is for NATO to join in and I think he is literally goading us to join in for a proper war.

Clearly this "first wave" is a conscript army of cannon fodder. Now why would he be holding his best troops/weaponry in reserve when things are going so badly? Answer: he needs the West to give him the excuse to escalate.

This "no fly zone" nonsense is a good example. Even if Poland had managed to use the US base in Germany to "donate" Migs to the Ukranian air force, Putin would have used that as a green light, claimed (rightly imho) that the US/NATO are now engaged and hey presto: World War 3.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Russia's mess so far may play into China's hands with Russia ending up it's bitch for the next few years but China will not want ww3, it's going to need to do something soon.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mussels wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:50 pm Russia's mess so far may play into China's hands with Russia ending up it's bitch for the next few years but China will not want ww3, it's going to need to do something soon.
I have no doubt it does play into the hands of both the CCP and the rich/powerful (so long as you're not mates with Putin). Quite what China are doing to influence these events is unclear but while it is a vastly complex subject, you can bet your bottom dollar they're involved one way or another.

Weapons manufacturers (and that is a BIG business!) rub their hands with glee at the prospect of a decent war. So do their shareholders and the shadowy figures behind the top asset management firms who basically run this planet.

It sort of beggars belief that the USA for example would casually leave $80 billion dollars worth of arms and munitions behind during the humiliating departure of the USA from Afghanistan. But when you think about it, it doesn't matter whether these weapons get used or not. They've done their job.

Millions/billions/trillions are taken from the public purse, given to the war business and that's all they're interested in. What happens next nobody really cares unless it serves the interest of the rich/powerful and we know what their interests are. Personal enrichment and more power so they can have even more riches.

Putin is clearly a mindless thug, albeit a rather crafty and devious thug. I do worry what he might be capable of and this recent "projection" from the Kremlin suggesting Ukraine might use chemical weapons is a chilling reminder of the typical Russian modus operandi: claim somebody else is doing X then get their "revenge" in first.

What a shit show...
Potter

Post by Potter »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:29 am
Putin is clearly a mindless thug, albeit a rather crafty and devious thug. I do worry what he might be capable of and this recent "projection" from the Kremlin suggesting Ukraine might use chemical weapons is a chilling reminder of the typical Russian modus operandi: claim somebody else is doing X then get their "revenge" in first.
Russian modus operandi?

I think Putin might be laughing out loud using the excuse about chemical weapons, if he can manage to say it with a straight face then he'll be trolling the west because that's the same lies they used to start the most recent Middle East crusades.

Using the excuse that they might have chemical weapons to enable an invasion....what sort of uncivilised nation would do such a thing :roll:
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:47 am
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:29 am
Russian modus operandi?

I think Putin might be laughing out loud using the excuse about chemical weapons, if he can manage to say it with a straight face then he'll be trolling the west because that's the same lies they used to start the most recent Middle East crusades.

Using the excuse that they might have chemical weapons to enable an invasion....what sort of uncivilised nation would do such a thing :roll:
They're not using it as an excuse for an invasion they are saying they are expecting Ukraine to use chemical weapons in "false flag" operations so that they can use the weapons and convince their people it was the Ukrainians wot did it. Just like they did in Syria.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Wouldn't have happened with Trump in the White House.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

JamJar wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:57 am They're not using it as an excuse for an invasion they are saying they are expecting Ukraine to use chemical weapons in "false flag" operations so that they can use the weapons and convince their people it was the Ukrainians wot did it. Just like they did in Syria.
I think the "false flag" op's are too easy to spot now. Instead the Russians will say that Ukraine has bio/chem weapons and therefore they have some "right" to use them first. Not as if anyone is going to stop him currently, he'll just do it. Chlorine gas I barrel bombs I should expect.

The mainstream media is a constant source of disinformation, even here. While Putin is clearly a deranged untrustworthy propagandist, they have recently occupied an area where the US did in fact have a "biological research" station. Should come as a surprise to no-one and is common knowledge for those who can be bothered to look. I seem to recall some website or other actually promoting this "research facility" as evidence of US/Ukraine cooperation.

Naturally Putin is waving this around as some sort of excuse/reason for his own use of chem/bio weapons but the BBC simply flatly deny the story, calling it "fake" when a microscopic amount of actual journalism would discover it is actually true.

The bonus with exterminating the population with poison gas is that eventually, Russia can have their military parade in a nice clean square rather than the bombsite that Ukraine would otherwise become.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:57 pm
JamJar wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:57 am They're not using it as an excuse for an invasion they are saying they are expecting Ukraine to use chemical weapons in "false flag" operations so that they can use the weapons and convince their people it was the Ukrainians wot did it. Just like they did in Syria.
I think the "false flag" op's are too easy to spot now. Instead the Russians will say that Ukraine has bio/chem weapons and therefore they have some "right" to use them first. Not as if anyone is going to stop him currently, he'll just do it. Chlorine gas I barrel bombs I should expect.

The mainstream media is a constant source of disinformation, even here. While Putin is clearly a deranged untrustworthy propagandist, they have recently occupied an area where the US did in fact have a "biological research" station. Should come as a surprise to no-one and is common knowledge for those who can be bothered to look. I seem to recall some website or other actually promoting this "research facility" as evidence of US/Ukraine cooperation.

Naturally Putin is waving this around as some sort of excuse/reason for his own use of chem/bio weapons but the BBC simply flatly deny the story, calling it "fake" when a microscopic amount of actual journalism would discover it is actually true.

The bonus with exterminating the population with poison gas is that eventually, Russia can have their military parade in a nice clean square rather than the bombsite that Ukraine would otherwise become.
What are they calling fake, the research centre or it being a bio-weapons facilty?
Very few news agencies seem to be printing outright lies but they are choosing words carefully to change the impression they give, even Pravda articles I've looked at are careful not to print anything that can be clearly disproved through an internet search.
An example is claims of genocide from both sides, it's subjective and hard to prove wrong and is being overused but it gives frothy mouthed people something to repeat.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mussels wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:13 pm What are they calling fake, the research centre or it being a bio-weapons facilty?
Very few news agencies seem to be printing outright lies but they are choosing words carefully to change the impression they give, even Pravda articles I've looked at are careful not to print anything that can be clearly disproved through an internet search.
An example is claims of genocide from both sides, it's subjective and hard to prove wrong and is being overused but it gives frothy mouthed people something to repeat.
Well that is the crux of the matter and something for example Snopes relies on when it calls something "fake news" only to read their own article and discover the claim is actually true. Snopes do this with the headline "FALSE" and only in the small print do you realise they have changed the actual question ever so slightly (straw man) then called that false while the actual story they are dubunking is true.

The other problem is the so called "wilderness of mirrors". So much scattered and conflicting information that the chance of finding the truth is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I am led to believe both Russia and China have entire departments dedicated to scattering disinformation when it suits them. And YouTube are quite happy to carry it when it suits their left wing agenda. Look how many fake "Fox News" channels appear to persist.

But yes, the Whitehouse does choose its words extremely carefully so when they say the "reject" those claims (of having a bioweapons facility in the Ukraine) they might be rejecting the entirety of the precise statement from Putin (who is no stranger to hyperbole) when the truth is, the substantive issue as to whether or not the US has a bioweapons research facility in the Ukraine is actually true.

So when Putin says "the Ukrainians are planning to use bioweapons" and "the US has a bioweapons facility here" in the same paragraph/sentence/statement, logically one can declare such a statement false because who knows what the Ukrainians are planning.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Ant wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:47 pm Wouldn't have happened with Trump in the White House.
Trump is probably doing himself a mischief just thinking about it.

Trump's erratic behaviour might have made Putin think twice I suppose. You may as well live with a rabid dog for protection and hope it likes you enough not to bite you.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Here's an official looking webpage referring to the U.S. Department of Defense’s Biological Threat Reduction Program. A fancy name for a bioweapons research lab if you're so semantically inclined. No doubt the page will disappear soon enough.

https://ua.usembassy.gov/embassy/kyiv/s ... n-program/

As for Trump.

That's like saying "come here you little cunt". Only with a handshake...
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

To me thats more like when a weird fat bloke tries to act like a leader but whatever floats yer boat. <shrug>
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

TBF, if any country knows what an inflated claim of WMD developments looks like the US is gonna be somewhere near the top of the list.... :hmmm:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:46 pm TBF, if any country knows what an inflated claim of WMD developments looks like the US is gonna be somewhere near the top of the list.... :hmmm:
Must admit, the stuff Putin and Russia are saying at the moment doesn't sound a lot different from what Bush and Blair said to justify war against Iraq and Afghanistan.

I still think they needed to be held accountable so the same for Putin.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

demographic wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:51 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:46 pm TBF, if any country knows what an inflated claim of WMD developments looks like the US is gonna be somewhere near the top of the list.... :hmmm:
Must admit, the stuff Putin and Russia are saying at the moment doesn't sound a lot different from what Bush and Blair said to justify war against Iraq and Afghanistan.

I still think they needed to be held accountable so the same for Putin.
Yes, they're all as bad as each other really.

At this very moment, our glorious commander, President Ursula Von Der Leyen is preparing the ground for the master plan. When she says "digital citizen", she is referring to the strategy for the future mankind as laid out by our masters at the World Economic Forum. Quite literally to brand each and every human at birth and for life with a unique identifier. You know, like a dog.

https://id2020.org

"Sponsored" by all of the richest people in the world. When I say sponsored, I mean, literally being paid for.

Well anyway, that's the plan. The Great Reset etc. That's the thing we should all remember about politicians; when we see a disaster, they see opportunity.

Putin is a monstrous thug of course. Bombing innocent citizens, blowing up shoe factories but the EU, the UK and the US are all just as bad, they're just being a lot more sneaky.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

demographic wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:37 pm To me thats more like when a weird fat bloke tries to act like a leader but whatever floats yer boat. <shrug>
No boats afloat here. Trump is a massive prick. A first class asshole of the highest order. The only difference with him being he was so pompous, arrogant and self centred, he wanted to be remembered as "the greatest President ever" etc.

The rest of the swamp didn't like that idea at all. They are clearly more concerned with personal gain, wealth, power (that is authoritarian, god like controls over you and me). They really don't want to benefit society as a whole, in fact, the worse it is for us, the better it is for them. They serve their corporate masters first and themselves next. Fuck the rest of you.

But as Kamila Harris said recently "this is what you voted for". The irony being lost on her of course; she is quite incredibly dim, even for a politician.

How does this affect us? Well, when America sneezes, the world catches a cold.

It should really be "when China sneezes, the world catches a cold" but that's not even a metaphor now is it...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

rant rant rant and rant...

Come on.. lets keep things on track hey.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

weeksy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:06 am rant rant rant and rant...

Come on.. lets keep things on track hey.
OK. I'll paraphrase Kamala Harris.

Russia invaded Ukraine because Putin is evil. The West is good and we don't want them to hurt Ukranians. Bombs are bad.

Is that "on track" and simple enough? That's basically what the mainstream media are pumping out non stop.

The reality is of course a LOT more complex and I thought this is what was under discussion here. I mean just the simple fact that the USA has a biological weapons lab in the Ukraine I find a tiny bit worrisome. Yes I appreciate it's called a Biological Threat Reduction Program but even a cursory analysis of that wording should be enough to set alarm bells ringing. WTF is it doing in Ukraine? Why is the mainstream media saying it doesn't even exist?

During her speech ostensibly regarding the Russian invasion of Ukraine, why was Ursula Von Der Layen going on about digital citizens? Could that be anything to do with the WEF strategy? The so called "Great Reset"? Is she just parroting what she is being told by the group of multi billionares who fund her (and us of course). Is the strategy for economic sanctions hurting Putin more than it's going to hurt you and me? I can't even afford to pay my gas bill now, let alone when it is doubled. Putin is not going to struggle to buy another superyacht, nor are his multibillionare buddies.

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Do I really want to become dogtagged because a bioweapon developed by the US somehow escaped from a lab in Wuhan. Should I be happy to pay lit. extortionate prices for petrol or bread just so that Ukraine can become a member of the EU/NATO? Is being in the moral right sufficient compensation for vast tranches of Western populations being made destitute? Are we even in the moral right?

Oh and where is all that money going? It's not just vanishing into thin air. It is being pocketed by vastly rich corporations who have discovered they can profit even more during a disaster. That wouldn't be so bad unless you're thinking what I'm thinking; who exactly is making these decisions and creating these disasters in the first place. Whoever it is, they're making a bomb. :geek: