What battery?

Anything you like about motorbikes
GuzziPaul

What battery?

Post by GuzziPaul »

The Tuono failed to start yesterday morning, despite starting the night before. Left it charging all day and it it started fine last night but only showed 11.4V on the built in meter and the same this morning after charging all night.
I'm currently using a Motobatt battery that has lasted about 2 years, similar to the last one it had. I've had the bike from new and this will be the 5th new battery I've put in it.
Recommend me a battery please, do I go cheap and change it every year or stick with Motobatt?
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: What battery?

Post by weeksy »

I've always gone Yuasa. But i think a lot depends on the use/cold/storage.

The Motobatt i had once i didn't like, but many rave about them.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Cheapest.

Tayna.co.uk is your friend.
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

My Motobatt that was on the GS didn't last (or perform) any better than any other battery I've experienced - replaced it with a Yuasa.
Try the thebatteryshop.co.uk, They've beaten Tayna on the last couple of batteries I've bought, often additional discounts for subscribing to their newsletters, etc.
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

I've been using a Lithium battery on the Guzzi and it's lasted 2 winters with no need for a charge despite being tucked up for 5 months both years.
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I remember reading somewhere (but can't find it) that Motobatt outperformed a lot of same CCA spec batteries, by holding their cranking amps longer? With a Tunono that has got to be a good thing?
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Mine is a Shido LiFePO4 LTX20CH-BS. It cranks the Guzzi over better than the old one did. I paid about £120 but they're £175 ish now !
dern

Post by dern »

I tend to go for motobatt as they seem to offer decent specs at a decent price. Everything will die if let go flat though so I always use trickle chargers.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

As my triumph is one of those that suffers from a delicate sprag clutch - the go to offering is Yuasa. On the basis that Tuonos have also been known to have sprag issues, I would start there
Skub

Post by Skub »

GuzziPaul wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:52 am The Tuono failed to start yesterday morning, despite starting the night before. Left it charging all day and it it started fine last night but only showed 11.4V on the built in meter and the same this morning after charging all night.
I'm currently using a Motobatt battery that has lasted about 2 years, similar to the last one it had. I've had the bike from new and this will be the 5th new battery I've put in it.
Recommend me a battery please, do I go cheap and change it every year or stick with Motobatt?
How come a battery only lasts 2 years?

My ZX10R was 16years old when I sold it and it still had the original battery. The bike was only used in good weather,but always kept on an Optimate otherwise.

If I needed a battery now,I'd be going Lithium,or if you want old school,then Yuasa.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:03 am Cheapest.

Tayna are great - they offer good alternatives to Yuasa at a fraction of the cost. I had a high-CCA Yuasa on my Trumpet and recently replaced that with an even higher CCA alternative for about 50% of the price
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Skub wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:31 am
GuzziPaul wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:52 am The Tuono failed to start yesterday morning, despite starting the night before. Left it charging all day and it it started fine last night but only showed 11.4V on the built in meter and the same this morning after charging all night.

My ZX10R was 16years old when I sold it and it still had the original battery. The bike was only used in good weather,but always kept on an Optimate otherwise.

If I needed a battery now,I'd be going Lithium,or if you want old school,then Yuasa.
I have a lithium on the Diavel.
It's good point
It is lighter - but on a Diavel, TBH, that is hardly a key factor

The bad points
Needs a special charger
Rubbish in the cold - I don't often take it out Dec - March but it's a big twin, needs big power - and Lithium struggles to do that when it is cold.
No idea what the longevity will be
Cannot be left an optimal as they explode - this might be a legend but ...
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:40 am
I have a lithium on the Diavel.
It's good point
It is lighter - but on a Diavel, TBH, that is hardly a key factor

The bad points
Needs a special charger
Rubbish in the cold - I don't often take it out Dec - March but it's a big twin, needs big power - and Lithium struggles to do that when it is cold.
No idea what the longevity will be
Cannot be left an optimal as they explode - this might be a legend but ...
Here's one you can plug and leave. For Shido and other batteries.
https://www.spengineering.co.uk/shido-b ... -dc40.html
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

First Yuasa in my 690 lasted 5 years. 2nd was iffy after a year. Not sure what I did differently as I stored/charged them the same. I'm guessing singles/twins will bugger a slightly off battery quicker than most engines though.
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

My LiPo has been fine in the cold. If it's cold - turn ignition to on, leave for a couple of minutes then hit the starter. The one I had on the KTM 390 was fine too.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Dodgy sprag clutch is my concern as well, I do have it on an Optimate but not full time, it get shared out with the Guzzi which has a cheap ride on lawn mower battery that has lasted 6 years.
I went for the Motobatt having read the reviews but having this second one fail after 2 years I'm having doubts.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Last winter it looked like the battery in my Falco was duff, so I started investigating alternatves. As it turned out, it was the battery charger at fault, but I'm pretty sure the Tuono uses the same battery as the Falco. I tried a Motobatt, but found that it was fractionally taller then the Yuasa battery it was going to replace, and that compromised under-seat space (I have a Scottoiler shoe-horned into that space).

I found that a Yuasa YTZ14S had almost the same CCA as the YTX14H-BS I was using (230CCA vs. 240CCA), but was only 110mm high compared to 145mm. Perhaps the YTZ14S (or equivalent) might suit sir?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:03 am Cheapest.

I just bought the cheapest one I could find on eBay for the fireplace…Tayna are 5 quid cheaper
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Skub wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:31 am

Pretty much mirrors my experience with the original Yuasa on my ZX10, I reckon you can't really go wrong with one, I've had 2 Tuonos, bought a Motobatt once, then when it failed within a couple of years went Yuasa (the slightly larger 14Ah with a spacer under the securing bracket ) and never looked back.
Also had a Motobatt on my 525EXC, similar story - it seemed to crank slower and for less time than the Yuasa it replaced and it was fecked in no time relatively speaking .
They are only small (4Ah) on the off-roaders and get a hard life on a big single, I replaced it with an Enduroline 7 or 8 years ago purely as they claimed to have greater CCA than anything else and weren't a lot of money, and it's been absolutely brilliant, turns the old girl over faster than anything I've previously had on there and still going strong, and it's become my default battery of choice now for any vehicle that they make one for (apart from my little RC390 where I went Lithium as every gram counted :lol: )

- Highly recommended :thumbup:
https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... nduroline/
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Tricky wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:15 am

Pretty much mirrors my experience with the original Yuasa on my ZX10, I reckon you can't really go wrong with one, I've had 2 Tuonos, bought a Motobatt once, then when it failed within a couple of years went Yuasa (the slightly larger 14Ah with a spacer under the securing bracket ) and never looked back.
Also had a Motobatt on my 525EXC, similar story - it seemed to crank slower and for less time than the Yuasa it replaced and it was fecked in no time relatively speaking .
They are only small (4Ah) on the off-roaders and get a hard life on a big single, I replaced it with an Enduroline 7 or 8 years ago purely as they claimed to have greater CCA than anything else and weren't a lot of money, and it's been absolutely brilliant, turns the old girl over faster than anything I've previously had on there and still going strong, and it's become my default battery of choice now for any vehicle that they make one for (apart from my little RC390 where I went Lithium as every gram counted :lol: )

- Highly recommended :thumbup:
https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... nduroline/
It's an Enduroline I've just fitted to my Trumpet, it's CCA was even higher than the high-CCA Yuasa I had fitted.