What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
636mick

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by 636mick »

the_priest wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 pm 36C. Escaped from London, drove to Lydney in Gloucestershire. Beautiful location, quiet place with loads of places to walk. Booked a couple of nice things to do and will now just take it a day at a time. Spent the evening playing word games and the winner was the "arsehole spider" because any spider is an arsehole etc.... No alcohol, just the wife and our teenage daughter and son and lots of laughter and fun. Tomorrow evening will be the Vouvray with whatever we chose to eat night.
Theres a Nepalese restaurant in an old pub near Lydney , fantastic food.
Mick.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Having been institutionalised for 6.5 weeks (it's so hot down here that I barely go out and if i do the bastard mozzies feast on me!!) and only been out to come here by taxi, 2 return trips for check ups at hospital and one lunch out with friends, I decided to go for a walk after breakfast to Ikea (so needed a bigger glass than the thimble they give us to drink water!!!)

1.2km each way. Should have been easy!!! I'm knackered! Barely made it back - needed a bus but didn't see the stops as was walking the wrong side of the road to try and stay in some shade!! Mind you, even though I walked round the household bit of Ikea, not the whole store, that was still a fair way!! LOL

Wanted to go to Lidl for tissues but can't manage that today (had some arm pain by the the time I got back :( ) so might have to get the bus on Monday as dont think its open today!!

My phone says its 38 degrees but by midday it felt way hotter!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Cut the grass. Broke the mower.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Woke up, got out of bed.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Took the wife to The Carding Shed on the Enfield, for afternoon tea.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Up early and went out on the FireBlade as I'd not ridden it in seven days - the new NC has been gaining my affections- The CBR has nothing to worrry about - it was about 30 degrees by the the time I got back at 0930 .
Lots of house shifting type stuff as we live in an ex local Maisonette and have had loads of work done recently .
Watching Million dollar Bogan ATM -
HEMS just flew over .
Over and out from BG
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I walked to a different shop!I

I know it's sodding hot and I've done very little in the last 6.5 weeks, but I'm quite shocked at just how knackered I feel. I've only done about 3km each day but damn, I don't think I've ever been this feek and weeble!!! :shock:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yesterday, I went downstairs and watched TV for less than two hours, came back upstairs for a sleep.

Several km in the heat is great!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:05 am Yesterday, I went downstairs and watched TV for less than two hours, came back upstairs for a sleep.

Thank you. I've worried a bit as I'm aware that I'm not doing much, even walking around as the therapies wipe me out most days!! And if i go to walk in the gardens, the mozzies feast!!! :thumbdown:

I'll keep working at getting more from my twp 25 min cycles each week and will try to walk at weekends to see if I can improve a bit

The heat is a sodding killer down here - I like the mountains, its about 10 degrees less at 2000m!!! Manageable on the worst days!!!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Adjusted the chain, adjusted the rear brake stop and padded the worn centre stand stop with some additional rubber on the Mighty Enfield.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Fixed my patio door stay.
Made a toasted bacon & egg sarnie.
Got the super scoot out and rode to my sisters (16 miles round trip). Love being on 2 very small wheels so feel every bump!!
Fixed my sisters table, failed to fix a fan though.
Put up some more bamboo roll to cover some very ugly log rolls.
Watered my plants.
Wrote this.
Nights later.
Mick, still living the dream!!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Went for a MTB ride at 0100, I couldn't sleep and it was much cooler. Tidied up the dogs accident 💩💩 when I got home (which was nice.....🤮.). A few hours of crappy sleep then had a chat with the floor tiler. A bit more work on the pond and garden and now I'm having a beer before watching the Boringula1 later.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
David

Post by David »

Noggin wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:37 am
Horse wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:05 am Yesterday, I went downstairs and watched TV for less than two hours, came back upstairs for a sleep.

Thank you. I've worried a bit as I'm aware that I'm not doing much, even walking around as the therapies wipe me out most days!! And if i go to walk in the gardens, the mozzies feast!!! :thumbdown:

I'll keep working at getting more from my twp 25 min cycles each week and will try to walk at weekends to see if I can improve a bit

The heat is a sodding killer down here - I like the mountains, its about 10 degrees less at 2000m!!! Manageable on the worst days!!!
Do you mean 2000 or 200? We are 315m up and its a lot colder than sea level.
Horse

Post by Horse »

David wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:13 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:37 am The heat is a sodding killer down here - I like the mountains, its about 10 degrees less at 2000m!!! Manageable on the worst days!!!
IIRC from school, drop of roughly 1F for every 300ft rise. Anyone want to try the sums for C and m?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

David wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:13 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:37 am

I definitely mean 2000m!! I live in a ski resort in the Alps. Bloody gorgeous in summer too - missing it madly whilst stuck down in Grenoble!!

I've got no idea exactly how much cooler it is up where I am, equally, the bit of the valley I usually compare it to is probably a bit higher than Grenoble!!

If anyone is seriously bored -

Currently in Saint-Martin-d'Hères, Grenoble - altitude Min. 206 m Max. 610 m
My usual bit of the valley is Aime (596 m) or Bourg St Maurice (744 m)
I live at Plagne Centre (ok, probably 1900/1950m not 2000m!! Whats a few metres between friends when you get that high :) ) [EDIT : Google says 1970m, so not far off!! "A 1970 mètres d'altitude, la Plagne centre"]

My phone has been telling me that we've had temps of 38 here, but pretty sure that's in the shade. Today it says it'll get to 34 - home says 20!!

I miss the mountains!!!
Last edited by Noggin on Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Today I woke up before 6 as I never sleep well when the vampires are due. The door opened and closed at 6 for the check - not really sure what they are checking as they can't see more than my feet from the door!!!

A new vampire arrived and failed at first effort! Had to go and get a child/baby needle (why don't they write that on the notes?). Second effort worked but only just managed to get each of three vials about a third full! I'm either running out of blood or my veins really don't want to give it up!!!!

Of for a short program today - 1 hour occupational therapy, 1,5 hours physio plus 25 mins hooked up to a compex machine and 30 mins in the gym so probably 20 mins cycling!!

Lucky it isn't that hot in the building!!!
ogri

Post by ogri »

Just had my bi-monthly blood test.
Now trying to arrange an xray so rheumatology can try me on different drugs, as the ones i am on do not seem to be doing much lately.
Hoping the new ones work so i can keep on using my throttle hand :eh:
Ignorance is bliss
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Waiting impatiently for my boy to get out of bed. It's riding time!!!
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Was thinking we would have to abandon the holiday as the cat went AWOL on the cat sitter. Turned up today after a two day hiatus... little bugger was all happy and cheerful. We only moved a month ago, so they are still settling in. Heading to either caves or wetlands today. Looking to get some walking in before it starts to rain. Close enough to Wales to drown, so want to get some walks in! Oh yes, the new to us Octavia is running beautifully smoothly and returning over 42mpg with aircon on flatout. Very happy with that as it is much better than the old Toyota.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Not today, but the last few days have been spent in suffolk and norfolk. My Step Dad doesn't get a holiday now my Mum has gone so we take him away for a couple of days each year. He had a dodgy hip and back and COPD and can't walk very far at all, so its quite challenging to do anything! We mainly tour about taking back roads and sometimes bloody cart tracks due to the sat nav!

We left home friday morning and went to southwold by said routes. Had a cooling pint outside the Red Lion then over to Oulton Broads for lunch. Then more scenic driving until we got to our hotel in Norwich. Nice meal in a Turkish restaurant called "Haggle" but they had no air con or it wasn't working! I don't think i#ve ever been so hot inside a building before!

Next day we headed off to join the coast road from north of Kings Lynn, but ended up joining it at Wells-Next-the-Sea. Followed it along in yet more glorious weather and had lunch at Sherringham. We stayed in the pub a while whilst the Wife went shopping and walking around for a couple of hours. Then onto Cromer and then a very scenic drive through small villages and even hamlets until we got into Bury St Edmunds. Couldn't get into the restaurants we wanted to ate in our hotel.

Net morning another scenic drive home but we stopped for brunch at the Mill Hotel in Sudbury along the way. All in all a very nice few days in a lovely part of the world, but I need to go for a long walk or three after being so restricted for a few days!

We stayed in Best Westerns and it was clear to see how hard their industry has been hit. I normally find BW hotels a good bang for your buck but they weren't as clean or organised as I've normally found them and this is due to the lack of staff working there. Those Staff that were working were working very hard. No idea how they stayed so cheerful and pleasant considering they were chasing around trying to cover everything.