Ulster Grand Prix in doubt

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Lutin

Ulster Grand Prix in doubt

Post by Lutin »

Ulster Grand Prix: Future of road race 'unclear' after 2022 event called off
The future of the Ulster Grand Prix is in doubt after the planned 2022 event was cancelled.

The road race was set to return from 16-20 August after a two-year absence due to financial issues and Covid-19.

Organising group Revival Racing MCC blamed a lack of "agreed" funding from Tourism NI and adding the future of the event was "unclear".

Tourism NI said "it couldn't justify the level of funding requested both on financial and legal grounds".

It is the latest blow to the Ulster GP after a turbulent few years. The event's future had been left in serious doubt when it was revealed that the host Dundrod Club had been issued with a winding up order in 2020.

The club had racked up debts of around £300,000 and entered into a company voluntary arrangement with creditors.

However, the race was handed a lifeline and set to be resurrected by the Revival Racing Motorcycle Club in August, but the organisers have said, with "much regret", it is no longer in a position to stage the event's centenary year in August.
Not looking good at all. :thumbdown:
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Ulster Grand Prix in doubt

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Whilst it's a bit sad, the disappearance of the NW200 won't affect my life in any way, and I'm guessing it's the same for most people, why should the tax payer subsidise unprofitable sporting events?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:48 pmthe NW200
I think that’s a different thing.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:56 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:48 pmthe NW200
I think that’s a different thing.
Oops, my mistake, but I still feel the same, tbh I didn't realise the Ulster GP still existed.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:48 pm Whilst it's a bit sad, the disappearance of the NW200 won't affect my life in any way, and I'm guessing it's the same for most people, why should the tax payer subsidise unprofitable sporting events?
Beacause of the substantial income it brings to the region? Same applies to the TT.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:48 pm Whilst it's a bit sad, the disappearance of the NW200 won't affect my life in any way, and I'm guessing it's the same for most people, why should the tax payer subsidise unprofitable sporting events?
Usually because the event itself may be unprofitable, but the economic benefit to the community may be considerable. A race on public roads makes it difficult to charge spectators, but if those spectators come from far and wide, spending money on food, drink and accommodation, the positive benefit can be substantial.

I know nothing about the Ulster GP, so it may, or may not, add up.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

AFAIK, the main issue is sky-rocketing insurance. It's put the skids under a number of other road races in Ireland. I think some of the European races on the international road racing calendar have gone by the wayside too. I know there's no longer a race at Oostende - that really WAS a mad event, round the old fishing harbour.

I don't know how many the Ulster attracts, but I'd guess it's nothing like the TT and even there, numbers turning out have fallen dramatically. I don't think it's a coincidence that the TT will be live-streamed on pay to view this year.

I'm rather glad I managed to get to a couple of the Irish road races and quite a few of the Belgian events before they vanished. The Ulster was on the list, and I'm sorry I never made it.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Skub

Post by Skub »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:08 pm tbh I didn't realise the Ulster GP still existed.
It would have been it's centenary this year. ;)

Road racing is a dying sport,for lots of reasons. Spin hit the nail on the head. The double whammy of insurance/safety costs and folk who knowingly move house onto the circuit and then complain bitterly about the disruption. Also for years fans have been able to poke their heads through a hedge and watch for free,so some bitch about having to pay or buy a programme to watch. They too must bear the responsibility of cancellations.

I used to go with mates to a road race nearly every weekend,from the Cookstown 100 in early Spring to the Carrowdore in Autmn,now they've been whittled down to a dwindling few. The Republic kept the flag flying for a few years,but they too are experiencing the same difficulties.

It's a shame,but's it's they way of the world.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
wull

Post by wull »

Always wanted to do some road racing but was struggling for the funds, after gaining my National it was always the plan. Maybe one day.

It’s a shame.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

NW200 brings in an absolute shitload of money for the North Coast. It's all about the tourist cash rather than the racing. Dundrod is much different, up a bloody mountain and I've seen it go from sunny with unlimited visibility to pissing down and foggy inside 10 minutes.
Skub wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:57 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:08 pm tbh I didn't realise the Ulster GP still existed.
It would have been it's centenary this year. ;)

Road racing is a dying sport,for lots of reasons. Spin hit the nail on the head. The double whammy of insurance/safety costs and folk who knowingly move house onto the circuit and then complain bitterly about the disruption. Also for years fans have been able to poke their heads through a hedge and watch for free,so some bitch about having to pay or buy a programme to watch. They too must bear the responsibility of cancellations.

I used to go with mates to a road race nearly every weekend,from the Cookstown 100 in early Spring to the Carrowdore in Autmn,now they've been whittled down to a dwindling few. The Republic kept the flag flying for a few years,but they too are experiencing the same difficulties.

It's a shame,but's it's they way of the world.
I probably hold the Cookstown lap record for a loaded 8 wheel tipper.

Carrowdore died because the circuit was crap and literally collapsing. DoE of DFI or whatever they're called wouldn't rebuild the roads for one day a year.