Is Russia just about to invade Ukraine?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Hoonercat

Re: Is Russia just about to invade Ukraine?

Post by Hoonercat »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:32 pm So I've seen Russian troops and tanks flooding through the border and rockets exploding but no actual fighting. Given that Ukraine were saying they would arm everyone and fight to the last I presume their army was on the borders. So have they given up and not fighting back or are we just not seeing it yet?
The Ukraine president, 2 days ago while being urged to mobilize:
Regarding security and defense. Today there is no need for general mobilization. We need to promptly replenish the Ukrainian army and other military formations
Doesn't bode well. That being said, the border with Russia is indefensible. Due to it's huge size and the terrain being completely open and flat, Ukraine forces would be spread too thinly to mount any kind of defence and find themselves being quickly flanked. I imagine there will stragetic fortified points away from the border where the defence will begin.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I guess this is where we find out if Ukranians do hate Russians as much as we're told or it turns into another Taliban advance.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Mussels wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:12 pm
Hoonercat wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:57 am It'll be ok. Putin has asked Ukraine's military to lay down their arms as he has no intention of occupying their country. A bit like how he had no intention of invading their country.
He probably doesn't intend to occupy it after he's changed the government to one he approves of.
Can't think where I've seen that trick before.
I think that if he carries out a full invasion, he'll break Ukraine up into federal states. There will still be a central govt, and there will still be a Ukraine, but the power of central govt will be reduced and each state will have a veto on joining the EU or NATO. He knows the people of Ukraine will not accept a Russian puppet as president and will revolt as soon as Russian forces leave, going the federal route with veto means he only needs a puppet in one part of the country.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

My Ukrainian friend is in Dnepr (his spelling and he probably means Dnipro) and tells me that "The city itself was not attacked. The streets are free and calm. İt is said the airport and most of military infrastructure is destroyed, but I do not know for sure."

The incursion may well be limited currently with the main attacks on the military infrastructure to weaken Ukrainian resolve and prevent serious warfare. Russia probably can't afford a protracted scheme so get in quick, damage the military so it can't respond adequately and then claim Ukraine is Russian and the job's a good 'un.

Not sure that'll be how it pans out but Putin will look good at home and he'll weather the sanctions as they won't be for long - he has energy supplies that the West needs.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:49 am No offence, but this is childish. The US has a new president, get over it.

Russia thinks it can start invading countries because yay the great military mastermind Trump is out the way? Yeah I've been so worried about that too.
Wrong.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:40 pm Yeah this is just nonsensical now.

Do you have any proof or is it all from YouTube as global media is conspiring to block it?
Censorship is rampant now. This new age brings more authoritarian powers which once established, will persist. Like freezing bank accounts if you dare protest at a government decree. PayPal are in on it too now. And the banks of course. It’s all going a bit Pete Tong.

One of these days you’ll stop laughing at “conspiracy theories” and wonder why you couldn’t see the obvious when it was laid out in front of you.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:09 am I'm still bemused why he cares so much as he's UK based.
Next time you fill up your tank, you might want to have a think about that.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Oh great. He's back.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:58 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:51 pm Why are you engaging in a discussion on a forum then fella ? You can't just throw random thoughts out and not expect someone to comment... Otherwise it's just a bulletin board then not a discussion forum.
I think Russia are just about to invade Ukraine and I also think the timing is coincident with a weak USA. Likewise Taiwan.

Even if you want to insist those are the random thoughts of a suspected madman, I would still prefer to be answered or put right rather than lobotomised just so that I can "fit in".
<sigh>
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:20 am
DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm
Well I am also confused as to why everyone appears to want to discuss DEADPOOL rather than the issues raised.
Because you're a few sandwiches short of a picnic
I appear to have a firmer grasp of international politics than you.

The whole woke world appears to have been on holiday while Putin (and Ping) have been busy planning how to undermine the Western world.

Hope you had a nice picnic. It’s over now.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

demographic wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:59 am Well if Radio 4s coverage is right the Russian troops have been ordered back to their bases and away from the Ukranian border.
So by the looks of it, just Putin doing some sabre rattling.
Nope.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

demographic wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:53 pm Fair enough, I'd not seen that piece but also I'd not noticed Biden being pushed into anything by Putin.

Despite being a weak leader, etc, yada yada.

Lets face it, I only heard most of my info on Radio 4 on my way to work between 06:15 and 07:00 and news is a bit thin on the ground at that time of day.
Wrong.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

irie wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:51 pm
demographic wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:59 pm
irie wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:58 pm

ftfy
Did it work then?
Seems that Biden rattled Putin's cage and called his bluff.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... phone-call
According to the White House, Biden pressed Putin on Russia’s military buildup, saying that he “emphasised the United States’ unwavering commitment to Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity”.
So no, I don't think it worked.
Putin can see Biden for what he is (or as I keep saying “isn’t”). He is a weak puppet for the creeping corporatisation of democracy.

The rule of law is being written for the benefit of corporate interest. I could hardly believe “The West” or particularly, the US would impose sanctions on Russia, until I saw just how weak the response was to a pretty obvious build up to invasion. Putin obviously saw that too.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Yorick wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:15 pm Oh great. He's back.
Did you miss me? I just came back to say “I told you so”.

I think I may have overegged it. But what the fuck, it was fun to see so many people more keen to criticise me for being a conspiracy theorist nut job than to consider what someone like Putin is capable of.

If China are ever going to “reunify” Taiwan, right about now would be my guess.

But what do I know? Tinfoil hat nutter who just happens to guess right…. :bblonde:
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:24 pm
demographic wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:53 pm Fair enough, I'd not seen that piece but also I'd not noticed Biden being pushed into anything by Putin.

Despite being a weak leader, etc, yada yada.

Lets face it, I only heard most of my info on Radio 4 on my way to work between 06:15 and 07:00 and news is a bit thin on the ground at that time of day.
Wrong.
I'll be the judge of that.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:08 pm
Wrong.
Sorry I'm late, I was busy responding to the other guy who thinks it's the fault of a weak EU.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:40 pm Did you miss me? I just came back to say “I told you so”.

I think I may have overegged it.
Ya think? :shhh:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:18 am
DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:40 pm Did you miss me? I just came back to say “I told you so”.

I think I may have overegged it.
Ya think? :shhh:
Err, you're agreeing with your other username now?

Okaaaay.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Felix wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:51 pm That will teach the bastards :D https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60530513
Now if we can only get them to ban us too .................
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!