New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Hot_Air

Re: New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by Hot_Air »

stray cat wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:01 am CE-1 certified, REALLY thin and flexible (although I had to sew them into the pockets as they don’t have Velcro) - blurb here: https://www.revitsport.com/en/learning- ... ive-armor/
:shhh: Shhh! Don’t tell Stray Cat – now he’s spent the money – but you can buy equally thin hip armour with Velcro from Motolegends:

(But I do like Rev'it protectors, especially their sexy Seeflex stuff :thumbup: )
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Crazy times lately.

Mrs Weeksy has stolen my Held 1 piece which is now at Hill 4 Leather being custom fitted for her.

In the past few days she's tried about 1000 pairs of gloves and today I bought her these

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/382759

She's now all good for Brands next Thursday for her birthday
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Nice-looking gloves :thumbup: My hands are caressed in Spidi in winter, and you can tell that Spidi began life as a glove-maker: fit, finish and ‘feel’ are fantastic. And every seam is perfect.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My 1pc leathers are Spidi Track Wind Pro's.

They're a perfect fit for me, required no bedding in at all. I'm on the 2nd pair after the first set were cut off at Cadwell.

I picked them over Held Slade and the A* Atem's. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set.

Spidi are a proper premium motorcycling brand.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Alan PBTD wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 pm Right - I've had enough.

Can anyone recommend me a two piece / throw over waterproof that doesn't leak ? Had a Richa Typhoon one piece suit, but that leaks so it's going back. Or just bite the bullet and call in GO Outdoors for some Goretex kit ?

No problem riding in the rain, just fed up getting soaked.

TIA
Alan.
To be honest before i bought full on Goretex riding kit like Rukka and Dainese i used to wear leathers all the time so needed over layers. I picked up a cheap Goretex walking jacket and used the 10 quid boil in the bag cheapo trousers . The jacket was a Brugi ski jacket so wind and water proof and breathable. Kept me warm and dry while riding and when we got to a destination i had a casual jacket to wear walking about. I now have a Dare 2B goretex jacket that i shall probably either have packed away or wearing on the Pembrey trackday over my leathers. Its the second one of the same brand i have had as i leave one at the bike training base and a new one at home ;)
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:47 pm My 1pc leathers are Spidi Track Wind Pro's.
Did you see Sportbike Track Gear's comparison of Spidi leathers like yours compared to Cal Crutchlow 's MotoGP suit? Incredibly, they appeared almost identical (except the MotoGP suit had double leather on the hips ). I always imagined that MotoGP leathers would be a far cry from regular stuff!

CRASHED: Spidi Cal Crutchlow MotoGP race suit review on YouTube
stray cat

Post by stray cat »

Hot_Air wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:07 pm
stray cat wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:01 am CE-1 certified, REALLY thin and flexible (although I had to sew them into the pockets as they don’t have Velcro) - blurb here: https://www.revitsport.com/en/learning- ... ive-armor/
:shhh: Shhh! Don’t tell Stray Cat – now he’s spent the money – but you can buy equally thin hip armour with Velcro from Motolegends:

(But I do like Rev'it protectors, especially their sexy Seeflex stuff :thumbup: )
I did buy some Velcro to sew on when I get time.. One of the reasons Ichose the Rev’t ones though was the small surface area - some were very big and flappy :mrgreen:
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:47 pm My 1pc leathers are Spidi Track Wind Pro's.

They're a perfect fit for me, required no bedding in at all. I'm on the 2nd pair after the first set were cut off at Cadwell.

I picked them over Held Slade and the A* Atem's. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set.

Spidi are a proper premium motorcycling brand.
My 10+ year old Spidi 2-piece is my go-to kit for the road 👍 Better than Dainese, which always seem to be made for someone with the waist of a spider :roll:
formula400

Post by formula400 »

as i posted earlier in this thread, i ordered a Dainese Super Speed 3, got it and love it, the fits great, first Dainese jacket I've owned, used it for a few commutes to work, love it,

excuse the ropey picture :mrgreen:

ImageUntitled by lewis wilson, on Flickr
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Not bought, but returned under warranty!

Took my BMW Streetguard 4 jacket back again yesterday for exactly the same issue (water in pockets)

I was going to keep it up for the next 3 years (replacing the jacket every time the pocket let water in) in order to try to get BMW to listen to their customers, but I've decided that life is too short, and will ask for my money back. I'm almost tempted to ask for the full value of the jacket back, given that it's proven conclusively to have a design flaw, rather than a manufacturing flaw in just a few items, but I'm pretty sure they won't agree to that. I bought the first one in a sale last year for about £400, the one that went back yesterday is the 4th I've had.

So:

Can anyone recommend me a 3-layer laminate 3 or 4 season jacket?
(NOT a drop-liner jacket)
For reference i prefer the non-belted style of jacket (as photo above).
non quod, sed quomodo
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Rockburner wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:19 am Can anyone recommend me a 3-layer laminate 3 or 4 season jacket?
Within Hideout's Hi-Pro range, there's a non-belted laminate jacket (in various colour options). As usual, Hideout's website doesn't do justice either to their clobber or the range of options. How about emailing them to ask for info (info@hideout-leather.co.uk)? Last time I was at Hideout, they had some ex-display stock going for keen prices (not in my size, unfortunately), so you've nothing to lose by asking. I did try on a Hi-Pro jacket: currently beyond my budget but hands-down the highest quality (and safest) textile jacket I've ever seen.

Alternatively, the Alpinestars Revenant jacket fits your bill except for the belt. It's better made than Rukka, IMO, plus you can add a Tech-Air Street if you're airbag-inclined. And it's worth keeping your peepers peeled on eBay for this jacket.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

A cheapo shirt/jacket combination with a zip up front Aramid textile etc.
It's got ce armour in the elbows and shoulders- I bought it cos my Rukka was making me melt and my 20 year old Daniese has given up the ghost -
Also got a brand new baglux map pouch for 20 quid on eBay
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I had issues at Pembrey with my RST suit i've never tried before being too small, so bought these and collect tomorrow

Imageheld by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Skub

Post by Skub »

Rockburner wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:19 am Not bought, but returned under warranty!

Took my BMW Streetguard 4 jacket back again yesterday for exactly the same issue (water in pockets)

I was going to keep it up for the next 3 years (replacing the jacket every time the pocket let water in) in order to try to get BMW to listen to their customers, but I've decided that life is too short, and will ask for my money back. I'm almost tempted to ask for the full value of the jacket back, given that it's proven conclusively to have a design flaw, rather than a manufacturing flaw in just a few items, but I'm pretty sure they won't agree to that. I bought the first one in a sale last year for about £400, the one that went back yesterday is the 4th I've had.

So:

Can anyone recommend me a 3-layer laminate 3 or 4 season jacket?
Troublemaker. :lol:

Seriously though,it doesn't appear to matter how much you spend,getting genuine waterproof bike kit is a total lottery. I mean,they can make cheap,fluorescent,utility DOE kit waterproof,why can't the bike clothing manufacturers even get the basics right?

I've kinda given up on finding leakproof clobber,I've solved the problem by staying out of the rain. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

Skub wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:18 pm
Seriously though,it doesn't appear to matter how much you spend,getting genuine waterproof bike kit is a total lottery. I mean,they can make cheap,fluorescent,utility DOE kit waterproof,why can't the bike clothing manufacturers even get the basics right?
A basic hi-viz coat, waterproof and quilted, is about £15 if you bulk order from China ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Shoei NXR to replace my well used X-Spirit....
Agent47

Post by Agent47 »

Reversible proviz rucksack cover for commuting.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

held was too small, headed over to Swindon for a try of 30+ suits. sweating!!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Richa-Franco ... SwjcVdA7az

This Richa won and was bought

Tricky

Post by Tricky »

weeksy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:37 pm held was too small, headed over to Swindon for a try of 30+ suits. sweating!!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Richa-Franco ... SwjcVdA7az

This Richa won and was bought

I like that- and with a few bits of carefully positioned black gaffa tape it could look as though it was custom made for me! 8-)
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Tricky wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:51 pm

I like that- and with a few bits of carefully positioned black gaffa tape it could look as though it was custom made for me! 8-)
Go for it Ria
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

As you may have seen if you'd been reading, i almost owned the Arai Rapide.... But wasn't happy with the fitting.

So i sat and debated some options and threw the Haga Arai RX-7V about in my head as it was absolutely iconic in my mind but then times went back in my head to when i owned a few Arais and the latter ones i never gelled fully with. One of them was an RX-7V too, a Rea rep.

So i sat more and almost went for an HJC RPHA70, but as the world got all chaotic i thought about which helmet has been the most comfortable over the years, without doubt it was the Shoei X Spirit 3.

After a few more debates on colours and schemes, this is now winging it's way to me.

Alex De Angelis rep from his season this year in MotoE. I just really liked the colours and scheme on it.... most impressed.