Is Russia just about to invade Ukraine?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Trinity765

Re: Is Russia just about to invade Ukraine?

Post by Trinity765 »

It's mostly true then.
Lockdown refugee
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:00 pm
It's mostly true then.
I think people would object to Putin's plans even if it wasn't.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

It's mostly true then.
For the most part yes.
Well that is if you believe Snopes :shock:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:06 pm
It's mostly true then.
For the most part yes.
Well that is if you believe Snopes :shock:
It would be a cold day in hell before I believed a word of that propaganda machine.

So is Putin going to get on with it then or what? There's nothing on telly, I'm bored.

Let's play war with superintelligent A.I. drones and shit. I'm sure the weapons manufacturers haven't just been sitting on their hands all COVID. They must have some developed some funky new toys to play with. Something that looks good on telly.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Well the sanctions have obviously worked🤬
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:57 am So is Putin going to get on with it then or what?
Seems he has.
Lockdown refugee
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:57 am
So is Putin going to get on with it then or what? There's nothing on telly, I'm bored.

Putin was clearly just waiting for your OK Screwd. :D

In a televised address to the Russian people, Putin said that the operation is aimed at the "demilitarisation and denazification" of Ukraine.

'Denazification'?

That should make it OK with Europe then.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Yambo wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:45 am In a televised address to the Russian people, Putin said that the operation is aimed at the "demilitarisation and denazification" of Ukraine.

'Denazification'?
The bloke is full on Tonto.

So many ways this could all play out now. Some of them really bad.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:38 am
Yambo wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:45 am In a televised address to the Russian people, Putin said that the operation is aimed at the "demilitarisation and denazification" of Ukraine.

'Denazification'?
The bloke is full on Tonto.

There's approx 3 million Ukraines living in Russia. Fingers crossed one of them has a Russian-made sniper rifle.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yambo wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:45 am
Screwdriver wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:57 am So is Putin going to get on with it then or what? There's nothing on telly, I'm bored.
Putin was clearly just waiting for your OK Screwd. :D
I warned him not to do it. He was like "yeah, what are you going to do about it..."

I said we would be very cross indeed and punish him with really harsh words.
Supermofo wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:38 am The bloke is full on Tonto.

I doubt it. By the time you finish reading this, it will be all over. Russia will have full control of Ukraine and anyone in the country who resists will be labelled a "terrorist" and disappear. Europe will do nothing beyond harsh words and "economic sanctions" carefully crafted to the financial benefit of global corporations.

The USA is weak and won't do anything either. Their "government" is effectively being run by corporate interests.

Russia: wins.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Hoonercat wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:45 amThere's approx 3 million Ukraines living in Russia. Fingers crossed one of them has a Russian-made sniper rifle.
Surprised he wasn’t taken out by ‘external agencies’ after MH17/Crimea.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

It'll be ok. Putin has asked Ukraine's military to lay down their arms as he has no intention of occupying their country. A bit like how he had no intention of invading their country.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Should have left Trump in power. Not on his watch...

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Hoonercat wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:57 am It'll be ok. Putin has asked Ukraine's military to lay down their arms as he has no intention of occupying their country. A bit like how he had no intention of invading their country.
He probably doesn't intend to occupy it after he's changed the government to one he approves of.
Can't think where I've seen that trick before.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Oh well, I was very wrong unfortunately !! Putin has called the West's bluff and left them holding their dicks in their hands waving them furiously at Russia!

Don't see that there's anything the West can do? Putin's played a bit of a blinder!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

This is 2022. Money is worth more than military, but it depends on how hard hit western interests are by proper sanctions as to how they'll be applied. Withdrawing Russia from SWIFT would be a major move, as they did with Iran a few years back. Ironically, Iran then set up a bilateral financial settlement system with...you guessed it. Russia!
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

So I've seen Russian troops and tanks flooding through the border and rockets exploding but no actual fighting. Given that Ukraine were saying they would arm everyone and fight to the last I presume their army was on the borders. So have they given up and not fighting back or are we just not seeing it yet?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

gremlin wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:31 pm This is 2022. Money is worth more than military, but it depends on how hard hit western interests are by proper sanctions as to how they'll be applied. Withdrawing Russia from SWIFT would be a major move, as they did with Iran a few years back. Ironically, Iran then set up a bilateral financial settlement system with...you guessed it. Russia!
Proper sanctions would confiscate all Russian assets in the west, and ban all transactions with Russia, and any other state that traded with Russia. That would cripple Russia.

Unfortunately western economies would grind to a halt first.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:32 am I doubt it. By the time you finish reading this, it will be all over.
I wouldn't bet on that. The Ukraine military is far more modern and organised than it was when Russia last visited. They have a sizeable number of Turkish TB2 drones which, if the reports are to be believed, were devastaing against Russian tanks in the Armenia - Azerbaijan war (assuming Russia hasn't already destroyed them on the ground). And while the number of Russian tanks outnumber those of Ukraine, it's not a colossal difference (Russia still has to defend the rest of its huge border so cannot commit all of its military). Ukraine has also built a series of defences in the past few years so it's artillery will be dug in, though whether they've managed to mobilize in time may be the deciding factor. It was only 2 days ago that the Ukrainian leader (who is apparently a Nazi, despite being Jewish :hmmm: ) said there was no need for full military mobilization.
Screwdriver wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:32 am Russia will have full control of Ukraine and anyone in the country who resists will be labelled a "terrorist" and disappear.
No doubt there's a few Eastern Ukraines wishing they'd taken up the offer of a Russian passport, it might make all the difference to their lives when Russian soldiers are walking through their streets. Approx 82% of them didn't want Russian citizenship, but Putin still felt it ok to recognise them as independent from Ukraine :eh:
Screwdriver wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:32 am Russia: wins.
Putin wins might be more precise. He's presenting himself to the Russian people as a liberator (oh, the irony) and defender, rather, than the invader that he is. He'll leave behind a legacy that might even match that wonderful chap Stalin, who is adored in Russia. But Russia won't 'win', its economy will be hit hard, particularly if Europe turns further to the US for gas (which is cheaper than Russian gas) and it will find itself being ever more dependent on China, not a good position to be in IMHO. Xi Jinping is going to love having Putin as his bitch :thumbup:
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Mussels wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:12 pm
Hoonercat wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:57 am It'll be ok. Putin has asked Ukraine's military to lay down their arms as he has no intention of occupying their country. A bit like how he had no intention of invading their country.
He probably doesn't intend to occupy it after he's changed the government to one he approves of.
Can't think where I've seen that trick before.
It didn't work out so well last time Ukraine had a pro-Russian leader back in 2014.