The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by gremlin »

I find that if I can't take a sneak peek at the time, the best course of action is to yawn loudly, roll my eyes and say, 'Fuck me! Don't you go on?! Give yer fucking arse a chance, you boring twat'.

I don't get to go out much on business these days. :think:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

gremlin wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:25 pm

To counter this, I have a Mondaine which is so well designed that i can tell the time from the other side of a football pitch.
I really like them, I especially like the delayed tic of the second hand at the 12 o'clock point.

.....but, every time I've tried one I don't feel the love as much as when I see a pic of one.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

wheelnut wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:09 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:25 pm

To counter this, I have a Mondaine which is so well designed that i can tell the time from the other side of a football pitch.
I really like them, I especially like the delayed tic of the second hand at the 12 o'clock point.

.....but, every time I've tried one I don't feel the love as much as when I see a pic of one.
No need to buy one. If you need to know the time I'll just hold mine up to the window. You'll see it from your place. :thumbup:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Do the Swiss Railway Clock watches do the 'delayed start' on the second hand then? I kinda assumed they didn't! I know the clocks come in version which do and which don't, the former being shit loads more expensive.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:26 pm Do the Swiss Railway Clock watches do the 'delayed start' on the second hand then? I kinda assumed they didn't! I know the clocks come in version which do and which don't, the former being shit loads more expensive.
They do. They're all based on the Swiss railways's iconic clocks which do the 'second hand stop-minute hand advance-second hand start' thing. It's quite mesmerising* to watch. You can buy the Mondaine watches which do it (they're not at all expensive watches, BTW) called Stop2Go. You often find me in John Lewis gazing into the display case, whispering to myself, "57, 58, 59....wait for it....there it goes!" But then I'm very easily entertained.

*From the German (not Swiss) physician Franz Mesmer, BTW.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:45 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:26 pm Do the Swiss Railway Clock watches do the 'delayed start' on the second hand then? I kinda assumed they didn't! I know the clocks come in version which do and which don't, the former being shit loads more expensive.
They do. They're all based on the Swiss railways's iconic clocks which do the 'second hand stop-minute hand advance-second hand start' thing. It's quite mesmerising* to watch. You can buy the Mondaine watches which do it (they're not at all expensive watches, BTW) called Stop2Go. You often find me in John Lewis gazing into the display case, whispering to myself, "57, 58, 59....wait for it....there it goes!" But then I'm very easily entertained.

I didn't Google it. Oh no, not me. No sirree :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:45 pm

Ta....I'd not considered one, but not I know they do Stop2Go....hmmm....

When I say "shit loads more expensive"; I think it's something like £300 for a wall clock which does it, vs £50 for one which doesn't. Something like that anyway.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Got to add mine whilst sat in the mighty Volvo....
20220220_093343.jpg
20220220_093343.jpg (262.17 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Potter wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:46 pm
Stainless steel sports watches are crackers now, I've just had a look and it's actually higher than I thought, the SS Sub is selling for £4-6K over RRP.
The 5712 Nautilus is a £35k watch that is selling for £180k :lol:
Either a lot of speculators hoping to make a tidy profit, or a lot of people with more money than sense.

Or possibly both.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:33 am

Either a lot of speculators hoping to make a tidy profit, or a lot of people with more money than sense.

Or possibly both.
It's been (and is still being) discussed to death on watch forums, but there isn't one single reason why it's happening.

Sometimes it's just people with shit loads of money who can have whatever watch they fancy.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Well it's not like your money is doing much else useful at the moment.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Potter wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:48 am
Sometimes it's just people with shit loads of money who can have whatever watch they fancy.
When the SS model is more expensive on the grey market than the rose gold version I suspect a bubble forming. And bubbles tend to burst.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:52 am
When the SS model is more expensive on the grey market than the rose gold version I suspect a bubble forming. And bubbles tend to burst.
Do you think gold should always be more expensive than other metals? Why?

A lot of things have created these price increases and for the bubble to burst a lot of things would have to happen, including a meltdown of the financial system and a global recession. People are saying the same about the stock market, but have a look at what's happened to (for example) the S&P500 over it's whole history, it goes up and down but overall it always goes one way if you can hang on.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The actual material cost of the gold/stainless/whatever is almost err...immaterial...I'd bet. In fact i'd suspect Titanium is actually the most costly 'cause it's hard to make stuff from.

Besides, the gold ones aren't actually solid gold - are they? I dunno, I assume not, 'cause gold is a piss poor material to actually build stuff from!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Potter wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:01 am
Do you think gold should always be more expensive than other metals? Why?

A lot of things have created these price increases and for the bubble to burst a lot of things would have to happen, including a meltdown of the financial system and a global recession. People are saying the same about the stock market, but have a look at what's happened to (for example) the S&P500 over it's whole history, it goes up and down but overall it always goes one way if you can hang on.kid
I don't think it 'should', but gold IS more expensive than steel. Is today, and probably will still be in 100 years time.

The stock market always goes up because the value of money always goes down. When I started work houses cost upwards of £2k, by the time I bought my first one they were £6k+. Today they are £150k+. At 16 I could go out on Friday night, and 50p (aka a ten bob note) would buy me 10 fags and 3 pints, with a few coppers left over. Price today would be a minimum of about £15.

I don't have a problem with good watches appreciating, but massive and illogical appreciation is a bubble.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:03 am The actual material cost of the gold/stainless/whatever is almost err...immaterial...I'd bet. In fact i'd suspect Titanium is actually the most costly 'cause it's hard to make stuff from.

Besides, the gold ones aren't actually solid gold - are they? I dunno, I assume not, 'cause gold is a piss poor material to actually build stuff from!
My titanium Seiko must be worth a mint. :king:
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Looks like Gold Rolexes are actually solid gold...maybe a couple of grand's worth by pure weight, but the vast majority of that is the bracelet (makes sense really). The actual watch has a few hundred quid's worth of gold.

https://millenarywatches.com/how-much-gold-in-rolex/
Potter

Post by Potter »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:12 am
The stock market always goes up because the value of money always goes down.
In a very simplistic way you're absolutely right, I only have ETFs to beat inflation, I don't do it to make money from money, I take the lowest possible risk options to try and match or slightly beat inflation, if it's possible.

If interest rates matched inflation then I wouldn't buy stocks at all, I'm happy to earn all my money and save up what I need for retirement, but I'd lose too much if I did that. Instead I have to risk a lot of capital just so I don't lose money in real terms.

The watch thing is a hobby that is turning into a nice nest egg if needed but I'm hoping to die with them and leave them to the kids.
My collection is currently running at 54% profit, it can't all be realised unless I was lucky enough to sell them all at current market/advertised values, but even if I only make 20% then it's been worth it financially.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I tried on a watch for the first time in years yesterday!! A bit big for me! Not at all sure what it is (apart from the brand name on it!) Apparently it's new - my friend was in Zurich the other day and saw it and wanted it!! LOL

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: