The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
wheelnut

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by wheelnut »

If you fancy a chunky diver another option may be a Doxa. They have a good heritage.

ETA movement iirc.

https://www.cwsellors.co.uk/collections ... gJTCPD_BwE
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Harry wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:11 am
I like uncluttered faces with easy to read dials.
Mondaine are hard to beat in that respect. I keep meaning to purchase this model:
https://www.johnlewis.com/mondaine-msx- ... e/p3848217

Good daily watch, suitable for old duffers with failing eyesight and I get 25% discount at JL. What's not to like?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:01 pm
Mondaine are hard to beat in that respect. I keep meaning to purchase this model:

Good daily watch, suitable for old duffers with failing eyesight and I get 25% discount at JL. What's not to like?
No date :geek:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:03 pm

Yes, but a gentleman can refer to the top of the front page of The Times for that information.

Or spend another tenner: https://www.johnlewis.com/mondaine-mse- ... e/p3264356

In all seriousness, I struggle these days to read the date on my Raymond Weil daily watch, the IWC is a bit 'busy' and needs a second of my attention and the other RW doesn't have a date function, but does show me the inner workings of the mechanism, which is dead handy when I need to know the date. I think I'll push the boat out and spend the extra tenner...
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:05 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:03 pm

Or spend another tenner: https://www.johnlewis.com/mondaine-mse- ... e/p3264356
That's better :thumbup:
Drop a few more quid for a strap that doesn't pull out your hairs and it's not a bad wee watch, I mean, not bad for a battery powered watch.

I'd sooner;
https://uk.mondaine.com/collections/men ... 0348-11sbb as a man
or
https://uk.mondaine.com/products/classi ... ad5b&_ss=r if I were a lady.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Another watch that I’m always drawn to by the pics, but when I try one i’m underwhelmed.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Harry wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:11 am
I like uncluttered faces with easy to read dials.

It's unisex. Nope. I'll leave the jokes to others....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:46 am I can see why folk buy expensive watches, but they're wasted on me and I'd probably smash them up very quickly.

I am the proud owner of one of these... Pen asked me to choose anything from the Argos catalogue when she was last in the UK. Ignored the expensive stuff as nothing I fancied. I just love this for it's clean lines and simplicity :)
I can't hear the word 'Accurist' without immediately then hearing in my head 'On the third stroke, the time sponsored by Accurist, will be..."
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Not keen on the mundane :silent:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:21 pm Not keen on the mundane :silent:
Yeah, but slip it on and you're immediately overwhelmed by all things Swiss, like muesli, tedious punctuality, a lack of humour, fascination with your own bowel movements and casual racism.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:07 am
Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:21 pm Not keen on the mundane :silent:
Yeah, but slip it on and you're immediately overwhelmed by all things Swiss, like muesli, tedious punctuality, a lack of humour, fascination with your own bowel movements and casual racism.
If the Swiss make you think of tedious punctuality, their watch movements (or whatever posh name they give them) must make you apoplectic.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

After having a better than expected result with my Corporation tax and self assessment figures, I've dropped a few quid in and put my hand down the back of the sofa to get a 2017 model Submariner 114060 - pick it up next week. :thumbup:
G.P

Post by G.P »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:29 pm After having a better than expected result with my Corporation tax and self assessment figures, I've dropped a few quid in and put my hand down the back of the sofa to get a 2017 model Submariner 114060 - pick it up next week. :thumbup:
Noice :) :thumbup:
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:29 pm After having a better than expected result with my Corporation tax and self assessment figures, I've dropped a few quid in and put my hand down the back of the sofa to get a 2017 model Submariner 114060 - pick it up next week. :thumbup:
I hope there enough left over for that Speed Twin....
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Nidge wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:58 am
I hope there enough left over for that Speed Twin....
Well that was my dilemma - buy a Speed Twin where I will no doubt lose money or a Rolex that seem to be appreciating at the moment but most certainly retaining money.
Speed Twin is most certainly still on the cards though, just have to see if my current contract is extended beyond December.....
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Out of interest, do you guys pay RRP for your watches? I have a work discount card but it's not usable in the main stream high st jewellers. It gives me 10% off an online authorised dealer, but they don't have the watch model I want.

Reading up, it seems that there's a load of people that regularly say they get a minimum of 10%, up to some who boast about getting 25% off. My wife is the 'negotiator', she hates paying full price for anything, so maybe I should leave it up to her?

It's not an expensive watch (well it is for me), only £2500 retail, so I don't expect a huge amount off it, but if I don't have to pay full price, I won't :thumbup:
moth

Post by moth »

Nordboy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:44 am Out of interest, do you guys pay RRP for your watches? I have a work discount card but it's not usable in the main stream high st jewellers. It gives me 10% off an online authorised dealer, but they don't have the watch model I want.

Reading up, it seems that there's a load of people that regularly say they get a minimum of 10%, up to some who boast about getting 25% off. My wife is the 'negotiator', she hates paying full price for anything, so maybe I should leave it up to her?

It's not an expensive watch (well it is for me), only £2500 retail, so I don't expect a huge amount off it, but if I don't have to pay full price, I won't :thumbup:
What are you buying?
Is it a popular model?
Are stocks limited?
Are you buying from an indie or a chain?
Are you known at the store already?

If you can buy it from Ernest Jones they offer a 10% discount on your first purchase if you sign up to their newsletter (which you cancel when you've got the discount code ;) )
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Nordboy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:44 am Out of interest, do you guys pay RRP for your watches? I have a work discount card but it's not usable in the main stream high st jewellers. It gives me 10% off an online authorised dealer, but they don't have the watch model I want.

Fortunately a friends son works in a watch boutique so can occasionally use his family discount on watches in their group. Just got 40% off a new Omega Constellation for my wife...
No chance of a 2nd hand Rolex under RRP at the moment, I've just paid around £1000 over RRP for a used watch and that was a great deal!

Anything else I'm sure dealers will strike a deal.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

moth wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:54 am
What are you buying?
Is it a popular model?
Are stocks limited?

If you can buy it from Ernest Jones they offer a 10% discount on your first purchase if you sign up to their newsletter (which you cancel when you've got the discount code ;) )
[/quote]

Looking at an Oris Prodiver 49mm, so nothing really fancy. I can't imagine they're on the 'must have' list of many people. Not fancy enough/ cost enough ;)

It'll be from a chain, Crouch which is part of the Frazer Hart group.

Just wondering what sort of discount I should be aiming for, if it's reasonable to expect something at all?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Nordboy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:21 am
moth wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:54 am
What are you buying?
Is it a popular model?
Are stocks limited?

Looking at an Oris Prodiver 49mm, so nothing really fancy. I can't imagine they're on the 'must have' list of many people. Not fancy enough/ cost enough ;)

It'll be from a chain, Crouch which is part of the Frazer Hart group.

Just wondering what sort of discount I should be aiming for, if it's reasonable to expect something at all?
[/quote]

Frazer Hart are normally good for a deal - got my wife a few sparkly bits from there last year, think got around 10-15% off without much effort.....