In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
slowsider

Re: In todays news...

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:00 am Good to see some common sense being shown to academia - I emphasise being shown to them, not by them.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-60341137

Their biggest donor has pulled his millions because of their covid rules.
I'd never heard of him but he seems like a brilliant chap, clever, successful, wealthy, and he knows that academics need to be guided by people in the real world, not the other way around.
Yep. They love him there.
Collingwood students were particularly unhappy at Mr Hillery's stance as he had been known, on occasion, to put £10,000 behind the bar during visits
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Mezzanine floor collapses at the trendy east end bar, Two More Years in Hackney Wick, thirteen people injured. I've always been a wary of mezzanine floors in pubs, clubs - this hasn't helped. I'm glad no one seems to have been left with life changing injuries. The bar is temporarily closed :shock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60364090

Lockdown refugee
David

Post by David »

Thete is an architect somewhere in town checking his insurance and kacking his pants....
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Trinity765 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:30 am Mezzanine floor collapses at the trendy east end bar, Two More Years in Hackney Wick, thirteen people injured. I've always been a wary of mezzanine floors in pubs, clubs - this hasn't helped. I'm glad no one seems to have been left with life changing injuries. The bar is temporarily closed :shock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60364090

Very few get passed by the licencing lot nowadays cos too many people put their glasses on the handrails and they fall onto people below.
The ones they do have often have a bouncer pretty much on "Don't put yer drinks glass on there" duty.
Also a lot of pubs don't have much in the way of level surfaces in the toilets so there's less places to snort coke off and with fuckall customs checks nowadays the stuff is fucking rife.

I've worked on a few barfits over the years up and down the country and get to see how they go.
Oh and ice machines don't get cleaned out much at all. You might want to think before you go for the ice.
Also if (when) rats get into the cellars they piss all the time they walk... over the bottles and whatever else.
You might want a glass with that beer instead of drinking it directly out the bottle.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

David wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:01 am Thete is an architect somewhere in town checking his insurance and kacking his pants....

Likely not, its usually the structural engineer that does that bit (not always though) and there's a limit on the numbers allowed on them. Thats why its often a "VIP lounge" or whatever with loads of tables to keep the numbers down.
Often a bouncer with a clicker/counter keeping an eye on the numbers up there.
Don't think Ive ever seen a mezzanine dancefloor yet.
More likely to be the owner or maybe a bouncer in trouble.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

demographic wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:11 am
Also if (when) rats get into the cellars they piss all the time they walk... over the bottles and whatever else.
You might want a glass with that beer instead of drinking it directly out the bottle.
Yeah seen it with mice, it's truly vile. Cellars and storerooms of pubs and corner shops are probably swarming with them after dark.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Isn't that the original reason San Pellegrino cans have tinfoil over the top?
Felix

Post by Felix »

demographic wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:11 am I've worked on a few barfits over the years up and down the country and get to see how they go.
Oh and ice machines don't get cleaned out much at all. You might want to think before you go for the ice.
Reminds me of when i was walking to work one morning in Edinburgh. Rolls, bread and cakes were delivered to a corner shop what was not open yet. Bread crates just stacked at the door like many a normal morning but there was a dog pissing up this pile. Glad i dont shop there.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Royal Enfield: A family's decade-long search for a missing motorbike

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-i ... H1VJaijS1g
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:03 am
demographic wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:11 am
Yeah seen it with mice, it's truly vile. Cellars and storerooms of pubs and corner shops are probably swarming with them after dark.
Never understood this modern habit of drinking from the bottle. Back in the day it was dogs pissing up against the stack of crates that put me off.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:15 pm
Never understood this modern habit of drinking from the bottle. Back in the day it was dogs pissing up against the stack of crates that put me off.
As I always say: babies drink from bottles, gentlemen drink from glasses.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Potter

Post by Potter »

I drink straight from the tit.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Potter wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:47 pm I drink straight from the tit.
I thought beer tits were something else.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Ten fucking minutes of some tennis bonehead mumbling a load of shit about fucking vaccines!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

irie

Post by irie »

Yorick wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:33 pm FFS. Only in America

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60312237
Not belittling this, but it fades into insignifance when compared to the crimes of the Sackler family.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Felix

Post by Felix »

Does this mean if a yank gets run over with a uninsured driver driving a ford can they sue Ford.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

irie wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:51 pm
Yorick wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:33 pm FFS. Only in America

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60312237
Not belittling this, but it fades into insignifance when compared to the crimes of the Sackler family.

That's as maybe but to be honest, Oxycodone was the only available in the home drug that came close to easing my wife's pain.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Felix wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:01 am Does this mean if a yank gets run over with a uninsured driver driving a ford can they sue Ford.
That was my first thought but it was about the adverts for the guns and the image they promoted, it would be like Ford running an ad that says driving fast makes you more manly.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mussels wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:11 am
Felix wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:01 am Does this mean if a yank gets run over with a uninsured driver driving a ford can they sue Ford.
That was my first thought but it was about the adverts for the guns and the image they promoted, it would be like Ford running an ad that says driving fast makes you more manly.
When was the last time you saw a car actually driving fast in a car ad though?