The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm very much liking the look of Oak and Oscar stuff. Just the right blend of chunky and simple IMO. They are Chicago based with ETA movements but look pretty yank...price isn't bad, would make a good daily watch.

G.P

Post by G.P »

wheelnut wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:48 pm
G.P wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:11 pm Every I time start browsing watches, I always end up looking at Meistersingers. Anyone got one or tried one in the flesh?
Anyone out there got one?
I don’t have an MS but have considered one before. I’ve got some other ‘novel’ watches and I’ve come to the conclusion that they’re solutions to problems that don’t exist. The ones I have get no wear time at all and I probably wouldn’t look to get more of that type of watch.
I like the look of those :thumbup:

I@m not up to speed with all the generic movements that are out there, my FB feed gets crammed with loads of "brands" of watches whihc all appear to be ostensibly the same watch...
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:19 pm I'm very much liking the look of Oak and Oscar stuff. Just the right blend of chunky and simple IMO. They are Chicago based with ETA movements but look pretty yank...price isn't bad, would make a good daily watch.

I like that as well, it looks very similar to my IWC.
I like uncluttered faces with easy to read dials.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Ok, I have a rather large (and unwelcome) birthday this month and I realised that I don't really have anything to 'keep' and eventually pass on from any of my other birthdays. It's always been new bikes!! :D

So, looking at getting a watch. Now, I'm not looking at spending a fortune, probably up to £2500 max. I like larger watches, so want something 43mm+, and as I suffer from skin issues around my wrists, I can't wear metal bracelet straps, so need something leather/ canvas/ rubber etc.

Been looking at Oris, as I like their divers style watches, clean, faces not too messy etc

Any other suggestions?
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Sorry for the brevity of that reply, my stupid phone wouldn't let me type text after I posted the link.

That Breitling seems to tick all your boxes, but I know some folks are a bit anti-Breitling so may not be to your tastes. I am lead to believe they don't hold the money as well, not sure how true this is though.

Personally not a great fan of "diver" watches, unless you have big arms, they always look a bit "clunky" to me on anyone who isn't well built.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Nordboy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 am Ok, I have a rather large (and unwelcome) birthday this month and I realised that I don't really have anything to 'keep' and eventually pass on from any of my other birthdays. It's always been new bikes!! :D

So, looking at getting a watch. Now, I'm not looking at spending a fortune, probably up to £2500 max. I like larger watches, so want something 43mm+, and as I suffer from skin issues around my wrists, I can't wear metal bracelet straps, so need something leather/ canvas/ rubber etc.

Been looking at Oris, as I like their divers style watches, clean, faces not too messy etc

Any other suggestions?
I have a Bell & Ross BR03 stainless steel.
I regularly fall in and out of love with it, but what it's very good at is being easily read, so if I know I'm going to be in a meeting where I need to keep track of time but don't want to be rude by obviously looking at my watch, then I wear that and even a super quick glance is enough.
(I recently had my Rolex Explorer 2 on in these circumstances and the face is too cluttered, it was 3.15pm and the date bubble and hands were just all of a clutter and hard to read with a furtive glance)

Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I bought a very nice Heimdallr Bay Tune homage ...
Cost 140 quid ....

TBH the service from Heimdallr wasn't great ....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm exactly the same as Harry with regards to watch faces. Indeed it's the reason I wear an old fashioned watch rather than a Garmin or an iWatch like most of my peers.

I like gold old fashioned face clocks which I can read out of the corner of my eye in a fraction of a second.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:16 am Sorry for the brevity of that reply, my stupid phone wouldn't let me type text after I posted the link.

That Breitling seems to tick all your boxes, but I know some folks are a bit anti-Breitling so may not be to your tastes. I am lead to believe they don't hold the money as well, not sure how true this is though.

Personally not a great fan of "diver" watches, unless you have big arms, they always look a bit "clunky" to me on anyone who isn't well built.
I'm not exactly well built, fat, yes :lol:

But I do have quite big wrists and hands, so I really like the bigger watches. The Breitling may be a little on the small side for me. But I do like them.

And I'll be wearing whatever I get all the time, including work, so it needs to be pretty tough and I'll wear it swimming and if I go somewhere nice, for (at recreational limits) scuba diving as well.

I'm going to pop into town and have a look at Goldsmiths and Crouch Jewellers, see what catches my eye.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:30 am I'm exactly the same as Harry with regards to watch faces. Indeed it's the reason I wear an old fashioned watch rather than a Garmin or an iWatch like most of my peers.

I like gold old fashioned face clocks which I can read out of the corner of my eye in a fraction of a second.
That's one of the reasons I'm liking the Oris watches, the faces are clear to read, not over complicated.
Potter

Post by Potter »

This story might not be amusing to anyone else, but it's tickled me.

Long story short is it took me about a year to decide to buy a Patek Philippe Nautilus, it was either that or an RC45 and the watch is a better investment, plus it's easier to keep and enjoy more as I'd only get to ride the 45 once a year, it takes up more space, etc.

The problem is that you can't try one on in the shop because they don't have them, there is a waiting list, but I wanted to try one anyway because what if I didn't like it once it was on my wrist. So I asked a fellow I know to get me a copy one, it had to be a perfect copy, a super-clone or whatever you call them, so I could try it for a week and if I liked it I'd order a proper one and give the clone away.

He gets me one, it's nigh on perfect, even the movement looks bob-on through the glass back. I wear it for a week or so, really like it and go to the shop (without it on) to order a real one. But, as I've already said they basically told me no chance, ten year waiting list, get lost, etc.

I got the hump but just out of curiosity before I gave it away I wondered about the accuracy because whilst I'd been wearing it I hadn't had to adjust it at all. So I set it bob-on against the internet clock, exactly to the second, put it on the watch winder and left it for 48hrs.

Unbelievably (and I'm still in amazement) in exactly 48hrs it gained 3 seconds - even my genuine Rolex gains 1.5 seconds a day - so it's on a par with that and better than the Omegas (they're +/- 3-4 secs a day). I even had a closer look to see if they'd sneaked a digital movement under a pretend mechanical movement, but it's a proper mechanical one.

It looks pretty much spot on, I'm sure an expert would spot it but for 99% of people you'd have to handle it with a real one in the other hand to tell it's a clone, and it keeps the same time.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I've been wearing my new (to me) watch for just shy of the past week, it takes a day to get your head around reading it, but it keeps time well for a clunky manual mechanical lump of communist engineering, I've not had to alter the time at all.

ImageIMG_20200804_100434 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Nordboy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 am Ok, I have a rather large (and unwelcome) birthday this month and I realised that I don't really have anything to 'keep' and eventually pass on from any of my other birthdays. It's always been new bikes!! :D

Any other suggestions?
Oris are nice, alpina and Sinn also spring to mind in that price range. If you can up the budget a little you get to Tudor and Omega seamaster territory.
Potter

Post by Potter »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:21 am Oris are nice, alpina and Sinn also spring to mind in that price range. If you can up the budget a little you get to Tudor and Omega seamaster territory.
Good shout, with a little extra you're into Black Bay 58 (especially the Blue) territory and if I was spending <£3k on a watch then that's 100% where my money would be going, it's quite likely that they'll go the same way as Rolex and only go up in price as well.

If I was buying a Seamaster then I'd get a used one, a hardly worn one in 'as new' condition can be had for good money.
Or ask around and see what discounts are being offered on the standard Seamaster in shop windows, there should be plenty about.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I can see why folk buy expensive watches, but they're wasted on me and I'd probably smash them up very quickly.

I am the proud owner of one of these... Pen asked me to choose anything from the Argos catalogue when she was last in the UK. Ignored the expensive stuff as nothing I fancied. I just love this for it's clean lines and simplicity :)

And unlike some mega priced jobbies, it keeps perfect time :mrgreen:
G.P

Post by G.P »

Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:46 am I can see why folk buy expensive watches, but they're wasted on me and I'd probably smash them up very quickly.

I am the proud owner of one of these... Pen asked me to choose anything from the Argos catalogue when she was last in the UK. Ignored the expensive stuff as nothing I fancied. I just love this for it's clean lines and simplicity :)

And unlike some mega priced jobbies, it keeps perfect time :mrgreen:
I like that :thumbup: :thumbup:

I've got a Beringwith a black chrome finish which I really like - just needs a new battery. it was under £200 but I notice they are nearer £300 now..

The pic makes the face look busier than it is - or maybe familiarity just filters out what you don't want to know!

moth

Post by moth »

Harry wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:31 am
wheelnut wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:21 am Oris are nice, alpina and Sinn also spring to mind in that price range. If you can up the budget a little you get to Tudor and Omega seamaster territory.
Good shout, with a little extra you're into Black Bay 58 (especially the Blue) territory and if I was spending <£3k on a watch then that's 100% where my money would be going, it's quite likely that they'll go the same way as Rolex and only go up in price as well.

If I was buying a Seamaster then I'd get a used one, a hardly worn one in 'as new' condition can be had for good money.
Or ask around and see what discounts are being offered on the standard Seamaster in shop windows, there should be plenty about.
BB58s are a bargain, and likely will hold their value, but probably too small for Nordboy (but as you know, some watches wear bigger than others that are the same size). The cheapest new Seamaster is over 4k, and that's *only* 41mm

The BB P01 is 42mm, and has an in-house movement that's COSC. Or the BB Bronze at a shade over 3k, is 43mm, also with an in-house COSC.

Besides the brands mentioned, there's the Baume & Mercier Clifton Club, Stowa make some large pilot watches and a 41mm diver. ETA movements though.

Personally I'd stay away from TAG and Brietling. I'd also try and find an independent jeweller rather than a High Street chain, but I've bought from Goldsmiths myself...
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I've gone old skool today.

The kinetic watches are a pita though, unless you wear them daily they don't work properly, once they lose charge the capacitor never seems to recover and even though I'd had it on all day (including a three mile run) it's still showing low power.
G.P

Post by G.P »

The thread prompted me to go and get a Battery put in my Bering. Whilst in the Jewellers (5 mins £8 :) )
The guy noticed my oyster perpetual datejust and asked to have a closer look, complimented me on what good condition its in (its 1 1973/74 model) and he mentioned that prices were going north at a daft rate on Rolex at the moment.

He advised me to check my home insurance "because the usual £3k on single items isn't nearly enough anymore..."

Naturally he offered an official valuation certificate for a small fee (£60). I've never bothered before, only kept photo evidence, it's probably worth doing...?