Cleaning exhaust headers

Anything you like about motorbikes
Yorick

Re: Cleaning exhaust headers

Post by Yorick »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:45 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:33 pm I never keep a bike long enough to have problems :obscene-birdiedoublered:
One careful owner :thumbup:
If I couldn't break it, no bugger could :obscene-birdiedoublered:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

dern wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:17 pm
weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:13 pm
dern wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:08 pm

I would say so. What make is it? I thought this bike was way more than 10 years old.
Triumph 765.
Blimey, surprised... just assumed it was a suzuki.
Don't know why everyone thinks Suzukis are bad. My 140k despatch GS500 which was ridden right through the year and cleaned about twice in its life was in a better state than that. When I took the pipe off to fit to a replacement (one of the later ones with a bung in the silencer which lopped 20 mph off top speed), I just gave them a bit of a clean with a wire brush, dabbed some diesel on, left overnight and spannered the headers off the following morning.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:32 pm In 1989 I bought a brand new VFR750 FK, as I needed to get from Stafford to Solihull every day for work. It was basically to be used as a two-wheeled commuter during the week, and in all weathers except snow and ice. Knowing this, the head technician at the bike shop I bought it from took time to do as I suggested Trinity does to the next bike. He took time to copper slip pretty much all the fasteners on the bike. He knew that in the long term it would save him time while he was servicing the bike and save me money as a result. I put over 80k miles on that bike in 6 years and it was still running as sweetly as a new bike when I eventually PX'd it.
Oh yes, I did do that to the GS ;)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I made a start with Brillo Pads at the weekend - didn't have much time, but I've got as far as this

I've also been cleaning the radiator. My method has been spray with Rhino Goo, leave for 20 minutes, gentle scrub with soft brush, rinse and repeat. My gentle scrub has removed some of the paint so I have a question - can I use some touch up paint or spray on it when I'm done? (not a great pic, soz).

Lockdown refugee
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I saw this mentioned on Friendface yesterday and thought of this thread....

https://www.halfords.com/motorcycling/c ... 62758.html
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

take it off the bike. Use an air line or a bath to soak it... you could use a hose and cleaning stuff.

Then see about repainting, but most importantly is a radiator cover to help and maybe even a yukky fender extender.

I hate to sound harsh though, but.... well, they're not the biggest issue. lol.

The rest is, well, horrible... it really does need the exhausts off, the radiator off, then wheels, etc.... You'd then have half a chance of getting it nice...

But the question of why comes to mind here....

Any bike trader is coming in at low money on the bike in trade in...so really needs to be only if you're keeping longer term.

I'd love to suggest coming over here for a few days and we'll make it nice.... but not until you get the exhaust header bolts off as that's only likely to end badly for me :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I'd probably gently waft some rattle can black over it, stick it back on and put a rad cover over it.

Those headers look much better. Even the nuts look better. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:28 am I saw this mentioned on Friendface yesterday and thought of this thread....

That feeling you get when you just keep throwing money at something and buying more and more products and you think "I may as well go into business doing this as I have all the equipment/creams/ointments/potions necessary and I dont want to waste them".
Lockdown refugee
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:35 am
KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:28 am I saw this mentioned on Friendface yesterday and thought of this thread....

That feeling you get when you just keep throwing money at something and buying more and more products and you think "I may as well go into business doing this as I have all the equipment/creams/ointments/potions necessary and I dont want to waste them".
I feel that pain. I have more MTB tools than some shops.... Then again, i seem to have more knowledge than half of them too lol.
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Someone on a T300 FB group is suggesting grate polish for the exhaust headers on mine - could that work for the rad too?
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

weeksy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:30 am take it off the bike. Use an air line or a bath to soak it... you could use a hose and cleaning stuff.

Then see about repainting, but most importantly is a radiator cover to help and maybe even a yukky fender extender.

I hate to sound harsh though, but.... well, they're not the biggest issue. lol.

The rest is, well, horrible... it really does need the exhausts off, the radiator off, then wheels, etc.... You'd then have half a chance of getting it nice...

But the question of why comes to mind here....

Any bike trader is coming in at low money on the bike in trade in...so really needs to be only if you're keeping longer term.

I'd love to suggest coming over here for a few days and we'll make it nice.... but not until you get the exhaust header bolts off as that's only likely to end badly for me :D
I'd second what weeksy is saying. To clean a radiator successfully it does really need to be off the bike. Which means you have to drain the coolant first. This is probably a good thing, as coolant does need changing every so often (although most people never do it). Once the rad is off you can give it a good soak, fully submerged for as long as it takes to soften up all the baked on flies. I'd do it at least overnight. If you can add some protein remover tablets (used for contact lenses) to the soaking liquid that may help. Then take the rad, still in the soaking solution if possible to a petrol station with an air line and blow through the rad FROM THE BACK forwards. Alternatively if you know someone with a compressor/air line then it's time to call in a favour... :)

The absolute best way is to stick the rad in an ultrasonic cleaner, but that is a doctrine of perfection.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Alternatively, realise life is too short for cleaning a motorcycle radiator and either ride the bike or trade it in for a new one.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

This motorcycle is dirty, bring me a new one!
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I had to take the radiator off to get to the headers. Not got a bath to soak it in here at my Mum's, just a wet room that is looking cleaner than ever thanks to all the rhino goo.

I am starting to agree that life is too short. My brother is visiting the weekend of the 5th so that's now my deadline as if the weather is on my side I shall go somewhere on the bike.
Lockdown refugee
dern

Post by dern »

You could buy a cheap plastic storage both to soak the rad in. I wouldn't try and clean it with water or air pressure as you'll find that those fins will bend over with the least provocation. Once it's soaked I think that the safest way would be to poke the crap out with a cocktail stick and a hose on low pressure. It'll take ages but at least air will be able to get through it again.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:08 pm I had to take the radiator off to get to the headers. Not got a bath to soak it in here at my Mum's, just a wet room that is looking cleaner than ever thanks to all the rhino goo.

I am starting to agree that life is too short. My brother is visiting the weekend of the 5th so that's now my deadline as if the weather is on my side I shall go somewhere on the bike.
Having gone to the trouble of taking it off it would be a shame to not get rid of at least some of the grot between those fins. What's it look like when you hold it up to the light? If you can see daylight through 90% of it at least you know where to focus the piggling with a cocktail stick or piece of stiff, plastic coated wire.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:23 am Alternatively, realise life is too short for cleaning a motorcycle radiator and either ride the bike or trade it in for a new one.
Tongue in cheek I'm sure, but this thread is actually about cleaning stuff, so...

Looking at that radiator I'm surprised any cooling air can get through. Getting rid of all the dead insects now when the weather is shite means that it won't overheat when the weather is warm and you wanna go out riding...
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:08 pm Not got a bath to soak it in here
Wheelie bin
Kitchen bin
Bathroom bin
Bin bag
Bin liner
Bag for life
etc
etc
etc
Roasting tin
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Incidentally I do practce what I preach, I've very recently soaked, cleaned and blown through my (34 year old) VFR rad with compressed air and nobody died. The only way it would damage a radiator would be if the rad was already on its last legs and ready to expire.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I've been soaking it, one way or another, all weekend and it's working. It's just that it needs tarting up so wondered if painting it was an option. I've ordered some black matt spray paint.
Lockdown refugee