Choosing an aftermarket shock

Anything you like about motorbikes
mangocrazy

Re: Choosing an aftermarket shock

Post by mangocrazy »

Depends on the depth of your pockets. I put a YSS on the LC and have been very pleasantly surprised by how good it is. It was a bit harsh for the first 100 miles or so, but has bedded in nicely and works well. It has rebound, preload and length adjustment, so excellent spec for the price.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I was once told that YSS was formed by ex-ohlins employees, not sure if I believe it as it's a Thai company IIRC. Unless shock designers like lady boys.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:26 pm I've got a YSS on my FZ750, it was £300ish, it's better than the standard shock on my GSXS, but it's not as good as the R6 shock I had on my FZR400, so I doubt if it's as good as a £700 Nitron, but it is a good shock for £300.
On Cheesey's recommendation I went for a YSS on the XJ6... fine for road use and far better two up.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:47 pm I was once told that YSS was formed by ex-ohlins employees, not sure if I believe it as it's a Thai company IIRC. Unless shock designers like lady boys.
I always think they're the guys who make zips, but that's YKK i think.

YYZ is one for the Rush fans.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.blackandwhitebikes.co.uk/

I'd certainly ring Paul and get a price if it were me... even if you don't buy one.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Anders Anderson who used to work for Ohlins now works for YSS, but I don't think it makes a YSS as good as an Ohlins.

If I wanted a shock for £300 I'd buy a YSS, if money was no object Nitron R3, anything in between is a bit "why bother"
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:26 pm the R6 shock I had on my FZR400
Unless you specifically want to spend out on aftermarket, is there any other OEM shock that works, in the same way as LFG has done?
Taff

Post by Taff »

I've got the nitron base model on my Tiger 800, done 30odd k miles on it and it's as good as it was when new, unlike the OEM that lost damping by about 25k.
The damping adjuster does make a difference that can be felt and I'd certainly but another nitron

Iirc my old zxr750 had a maxton shock fitted and that felt really good to me. I liked that bike
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I bought a YSS a few years back - very happy with it, decent quality.
That said, the Hagon on my other bike is knocking 20 years now and is still almost perfect (not that I ever rode the bike in poor weather if I could avoid it).
BBB

Post by BBB »

My zx6r came with a Mupo on the rear, preload and rebound only but looks good and feels smooth. Admittedly I've ridden a couple of hundred miles at most. Person I bought it off has mupos on their race bikes. But it's another one to consider