MCN : BMW K1600GT (2017 - on) Review

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

MCN : BMW K1600GT (2017 - on) Review

Post by weeksy »

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... 00gt/2017/

The BMW K1600GT is pure luxury. There’s no smoother, more refined way to tour on two wheels. Honda’s Gold Wing had previously ruled this category but it doesn’t have the versatility or handling of the K1600.

When the six-cylinder BMW was launched in 2010 it set a new performance benchmark and left every other big tourer in its considerable wake. Now, for 2017, BMW have upped the stakes even further, adding more luxury and innovative ideas while making the sublime 1649cc Euro4-compliant without losing any power, torque or character.

This model replaced the 2011-2016 BMW K1600GT
This is the engine, remember, that makes 70% of its torque at just 1500rpm. And which, when you open the throttle hard, makes a silky 160bhp.

However, there’s no getting away from the fact the 1600 is big. At 334kg (90% fuelled up) that equates to 52.5 stone in old money, which is a lot of weight to shuffle backwards. But BMW have made life easier with an optional reverse gear for the first time on the 1600, using the starter motor to move the bike backwards.

Once you’ve selected reverse, you press the starter button to slowly move backwards. Speed is limited to 1.2kph, but the 1600 will reverse up gradients of up to 7%.

There is no smoother or arguably safer way to travel than the K1600GT. It consumes miles and is now more comfortable than ever. If you tick all the accessory boxes it becomes the limousine of the bike world - but at a price.

BMW K1600GT updated for 2022
For 2022 the K1600GT gets a host of upgrades. They’re not ground-breaking, but the engine’s extra mid-range grunt is welcome and the big new colour new display adds a further touch of class.

Self-levelling suspension ensures you enjoy the perfect ride, regardless of the load on-board and clever lights will add a dash of safety to night riding.

It’s still cool, comfortable, beautifully made and covers huge swathes of ground as gracefully as it constantly surprises with its unwavering appetite for corners. Its price will be out of reach for many, but for the ultimate in touring decadence with a sporty twist the K1600GT is hard to beat

Like BMW’s GS range, the 1600 comes with the ‘next generation ESA’, which means damping is automatically adjusted on the move. Current K1600GT owners have to adjust the damping manually to either soft, medium or hard – but now it’s all automated. This is done via numerous sensors, including one for lean angle for the first time.

Pro shift assistant is an optional extra now, too, although the K1600 doesn’t really need too many gear changes - just stick it in top and let that immense torque do the work.

BMW have also increased the size of the bodywork, screen and the two fairing compartments, which can be locked and linked to the central locking. New for 2017 are fairing winglets, which can be opened to increase the wind over the rider for a cooling gentle breeze on summer days.

What are the best tyres for the BMW K1600GT?
When BMW developed the bike they will have worked with Bridgestone and Metzeler to put the rubber through as general type approval for the whole bike.

So you have a choice of Bridgestone 021 and 022s and also Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact C (the C refers to the construction, which is stiffer than normal to take account of the bike’s weight andperformance).

BMW K1600GT facelift in 2022
For 2022 electronic suspension still has semi-active damping that self-adjusts on the move – in a soft or hard range, depending on the riding mode you’re in.

Now front and rear preload self-adjusts automatically (it was manual before) to compensate for the weight of the rider, pillion and luggage, taking data from the front and rear shock sensors and IMU

The system ensures the K1600GT is always stable and balanced, no matter how you load it. There’s still no getting away from its bulk at low speed, but once it gets going the BMW glides beautifully through corners, has lots of ground clearance and powerful, cornering ABS-assisted brakes.

Despite the engine tweaks and shiny new equipment, the 2022 K1600GT isn’t too different to ride than the previous version, so no need for those owners to rush to trade up.

But there wasn’t much wrong with it in the first place and it’s still endlessly impressive, not just because it’s that rarest of beasts: a six-cylinder.

Flawless build quality and equipment level is everything you’d expect from a 20-grand-plus BMW and it’s endlessly comfortable for rider and pillion-alike.

It’s as capable in corners as it can elegantly crush continents and still every inch the dream tourer to take on that epic once-in-a-lifetime trip.

The BMW K1600GT engine is a water-cooled 1649cc, in-line six-cylinder motor that remains unchanged from the previous generation's, but now meets tight Euro4 emissions regulations.

This means peak power of 160bhp and peak torque of 129lb-ft are the same as the previous model. The engine is as smooth as it is powerful.

The K1600 engine is one of the smoothest around with a throttle feel that has to be experienced to be believed. What's more, with all that power available it can really dhift if you want it to - even fully loaded with a passenger and luggage.

Maximum torque is up from 129lb-ft to 133lb-ft, too. Compared to a grunty big-cube twin or triple the K1600’s power delivery has always been more of a crescendo with the hard-hitting metallic roar of a race engine up top, but now it’s more flexible in the midrange.

It’s also as smooth off the throttle as it is on, thanks to a tweaked engine braking control that works with a new IMU. BMW claims 48mpg/280-mile tank range.

Mr. Dazzle

Re: MCN : BMW K1600GT (2017 - on) Review

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

There's a guy near me with one of these, I hear him riding past quite often. It sounds great, but weirdly it doesn't sound like a motorbike, it sounds like a car...which makes sense really, given how uncommon straight 6 bikes are.
dern

Post by dern »

334kg - pass. If my job was riding or I needed to get to somewhere very far away indeed it might make sense but otherwise no.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Animal from Visordown days had one when they first came out. His was fitted with the Akra aftermarket upgrade and as said above it sounded like a high revving sports car when he whacked the throttle open.

Felt really heavy but once moving he said you really couldn’t feel the weight and it handled surprisingly well
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:15 pm Felt really heavy
It means that stopping needs a bit more planning!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I've had two different predecessors. The old 1200LT...which also had a reverse gear and various bells and whistles eg a sound system..and the K1200GT. The LT was an underpowered, humongous barge that required the pillion going in to recce car parks before you entered. The K12 was in the sweet spot for (my needs) touring and, with panniers/top box off was perfectly happy scratching around at weekends. 150bhp and capable of 160mph+ and not having the mass of a collapsed star.
I'm sure the 1600 is great for crossing continents but I'd rather have a K12GT and BMW don't make anything in that slot with more than 2 cylinders any more. Rockburner has ridden a 1600 iirc and said they're not as heavy as they look, so maybe, they've shed some weight but I don't think they're ever going to be nimble. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:15 pm Rockburner has ridden a 1600 iirc and said they're not as heavy as they look
That doesn't sound very difficult TBF.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:18 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:15 pm Rockburner has ridden a 1600 iirc and said they're not as heavy as they look
That doesn't sound very difficult TBF.
Depends how they carry the weight really - and on the rider. I've watched a 5ft 6in bloke in his seventies doing feet-up u-turns on a fully loaded Gold Wing as if it was a Honda 50.
I wouldn't mind hiring a 1600 for a trip but wouldn't get much day-to-day use out of one. The K12 or equivalents could be every-day bikes. At least it sounds like they've made more use of the space in the fairing on the 1600. It used to irk that both the LT and GT only had one little cubby.
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:15 pm I've had two different predecessors. The old 1200LT...which also had a reverse gear and various bells and whistles eg a sound system..and the K1200GT. The LT was an underpowered, humongous barge that required the pillion going in to recce car parks before you entered. The K12 was in the sweet spot for (my needs) touring and, with panniers/top box off was perfectly happy scratching around at weekends. 150bhp and capable of 160mph+ and not having the mass of a collapsed star.
I'm sure the 1600 is great for crossing continents but I'd rather have a K12GT and BMW don't make anything in that slot with more than 2 cylinders any more. Rockburner has ridden a 1600 iirc and said they're not as heavy as they look, so maybe, they've shed some weight but I don't think they're ever going to be nimble. :D
Yeah - I've had about 35 minutes (ish) on one (a rideout from Boxhill a few years ago).

As said really - they look bulky and heavy, but they're not. Ok they're a few kilos up on most big bikes, but it's not a huge amount compared to the difference between a skinny rider and a fatso. Also they're fully designed to handle the mass, the Duolever suspension is very good at keeping the steering light despite the mass and is very stiff so there's very little dive under braking.

On the road you can throw it about with ease and you'd soon get used to the bulk and mass, it's just another 'difference' that you adjust to if you ride it regularly.

If I had the cash i'd have one like a shot for commuting. They're the bike equivalent of a Bentley Continental GT - NOT a proper sports car (far too bulky and heavy), but a genuine cross-continent fast off-motorway tourer that you can throw around the 'Ring with aplomb when you get there.
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The other thing in favour of the 1600 is that it looks like all the luggage is demountable as on the K12 (none of it was on the LT) so, providing you can get the bars/fairing through a gap there's nothing to worry about behind you when filtering on the commute. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:50 pm The other thing in favour of the 1600 is that it looks like all the luggage is demountable as on the K12 (none of it was on the LT) so, providing you can get the bars/fairing through a gap there's nothing to worry about behind you when filtering on the commute. :thumbup:
Allegedly.... I'm not sure it is actually (or possibly wasn't on the first-gen)..... it's centrally locked. :D
non quod, sed quomodo
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Didn’t 44 teeth do a test with that and the Goldwing ?
Too heavy for me - I’d probably only ride it a couple of times a year
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

IMHO, people worry too much about weight. It's only a problem when you're pushing out of a parking spot you parked nose in.

Heavy bikes feel planted and safe, unless you really want to hustle.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:24 pm IMHO, people worry too much about weight. It's only a problem when you're pushing out of a parking spot you parked nose in.

Any bike can feel planted and safe if the suspension is set up correctly.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:24 pm IMHO, people worry too much about weight. It's only a problem when you're pushing out of a parking spot you parked nose in.

Rode into a gravelled car park on the LT and found it was not only covered in 2in of gravel, it was tiny with every parkable spot occupied. That was fun. (The LT is v strange anyway, the 'bars' are waaay behind the steering head. Takes a bit of getting used to).

Garage at the bottom of a sloping drive (even a small slope), that's fun too.

Once at walking pace, if the geometry and tyre pressures etc are OK, yeah, weight? *shrug* It's not like you're carrying it.
Voltaire
G.P

Post by G.P »

Its a proper luxury piece of kit but I think if i had unlimited funds and wanted a tourer in the garage, I'd go for a Goldwing Bagger

to me a flat six and a cooler set of clothes takes it my a mile.
Last edited by G.P on Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I do like that BMW have given it a race rep paint job.

I wonder if Honda would sell more Goldwings if they were offered in Repsol colours?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:42 pm I do like that BMW have given it a race rep paint job.

I wonder if Honda would sell more Goldwings if they were offered in Repsol colours?
Maybe not...

Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:27 pm Rode into a gravelled car park on the LT and found it was not only covered in 2in of gravel,
Had a trainee who'd bought an LT, had it delivered to his house. Then fell over when parked. Asked for help.

Plan was that I'd ride it to an open area, he'd folow in his car.

Bike was in the garage. Had a turning circle outside, gravel - which had been pushed into a small 'berm' outside the door. Oh, and the garage was opposite the house wall, so a 90° right turn was needed ... to go uphill and 90° left around the front of the house.

So, ideally for gravel you'd give it some beans and stand up to let it weave etc. But not with an up and over door immediately ahead.

If I say so myself, it must have looked impressive. One of those do or die, one attempt, events!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

That reverse 'gear' is key to managing the weight, I think. The main issue with the ST1300, for me, weight-wise was paddling or hauling it backwards, especially uphill (I soon leaned to look for cambers..) but also over even fairly slight bumps.
It's actually about the same weight as the ST1300, but should be more manageable with the reverse facility. If I had money to burn I'd be tempted.