Cleaning exhaust headers

Anything you like about motorbikes
Count Steer

Re: Cleaning exhaust headers

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:29 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:00 pm
Skub wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:55 pm Get some stainless studs and nuts while you are in there.
How would I get the studs out? The nuts are obvious - I can see those (not taken the headers off yet).
If you get more than 3 out complete, ie not snapped, I'll be very impressed. Best of luck! :thumbup:
Yup. Although some of the studs may come out before the nut budges. Lashings of penetrating oil and a not too powerful rattle gun methinks. (Although I'd be tempted to clean it all in situ!)
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Ignore the studs. They'll just go shitty again in 2 weeks.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

FFS. These maniacs will have you polishing the tyres and locking the chain clean with your tongue.

If it looks OK from 10 feet away, that's good enough.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I haven't had much time to work on my bike today but I have been busy clearing out the garage and now have plenty of room to move around in there and work in it day or night, rain or shine :thumbup:

The nuts from the two outside headers loosened very easily. The nuts from the central header are corroded. One so much that I can't even get the socket on it. Rather than be a complete twit and get into more trouble I may phone the local bike mechanics/buddies who are only round the corner and see what they say. I'm sure they'll be delighted but they do have proper tools :D
Lockdown refugee
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Trinity765 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:05 pm I haven't had much time to work on my bike today but I have been busy clearing out the garage and now have plenty of room to move around in there and work in it day or night, rain or shine :thumbup:

The nuts from the two outside headers loosened very easily. The nuts from the central header are corroded. One so much that I can't even get the socket on it. Rather than be a complete twit and get into more trouble I may phone the local bike mechanics/buddies who are only round the corner and see what they say. I'm sure they'll be delighted but they do have proper tools :D
I lie awake at night wondering if my nuts are rusty :(
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Yorick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:13 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:05 pm I haven't had much time to work on my bike today but I have been busy clearing out the garage and now have plenty of room to move around in there and work in it day or night, rain or shine :thumbup:

Maybe your local pharmacist can help you with that - more penetrating oil?
Lockdown refugee
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Trinity765 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:20 pm
Yorick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:13 pm I lie awake at night wondering if my nuts are rusty :(
One quick wrench to the left and right should sort them.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yorick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:13 pm

download.jpeg-1.jpg
download.jpeg-1.jpg (15.22 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:41 pm
Yorick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:13 pm I lie awake at night wondering if my nuts are rusty :(
One quick wrench to the left and right should sort them.
Better hope so, otherwise its time for the blowtorch.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Is that a street triple ? Assume one of the original 2009 ones ? Still that’s a lot of corrosion for a 13 year old bike. Hopefully they’ll all come off though 👍😃
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Pgm wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:44 pm Weeksy will have a heart attack when he sees that.
It's not making me smile that's for sure.!

However, it been used lots and lots, which does make me smile
Druid

Post by Druid »

I've got a 12 year old Speed Triple with exhausts that look like that. My engine is much cleaner though :)
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Couchy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:58 pm Is that a street triple ? Assume one of the original 2009 ones ? Still that’s a lot of corrosion for a 13 year old bike. Hopefully they’ll all come off though 👍😃
It's three years old, almost to the day and has been garaged overnight. Pre getting the CRV a year ago, I rode all weathers.

I've just been to see my local rufty tufty biker mechanics (who were sporting new Snapon overalls :lol: ) and they said "Get a decent six sided socket and heat the nut until it glows red". So I'll be trying that - off to Halfords later.
Lockdown refugee
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:09 pm
Couchy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:58 pm Is that a street triple ? Assume one of the original 2009 ones ? Still that’s a lot of corrosion for a 13 year old bike. Hopefully they’ll all come off though 👍😃
It's three years old, almost to the day and has been garaged overnight. Pre getting the CRV a year ago, I rode all weathers.
I've just been to see my local rufty tufty biker mechanics (who were sporting new Snapon overalls :lol: ) and they said "Get a decent six sided socket and heat the nut until it glows red". So I'll be trying that - off to Halfords later.
:shock: :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Let's hope the fire brigade get there in time, obviously I haven't read 3 pages of drivel about taking an exhaust off, but why can't you leave the exhaust on the bike to clean it?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:11 pm Let's hope the fire brigade get there in time, obviously I haven't read 3 pages of drivel about taking an exhaust off, but why can't you leave the exhaust on the bike to clean it?
Never ever cleaned any exhaust pipes. What's the point?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Yorick wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:13 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:11 pm Let's hope the fire brigade get there in time, obviously I haven't read 3 pages of drivel about taking an exhaust off, but why can't you leave the exhaust on the bike to clean it?
TBH that's my logic, I'll give them a good squirt with WD40 before I put the bike away if I've been out in the wet or washed the bike, but that's about it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:16 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:13 pm
TBH that's my logic, I'll give them a good squirt with WD40 before I put the bike away if I've been out in the wet or washed the bike, but that's about it.
I can't see mine. Don't care. Same as the car.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I could - totally agree. At this point I could just throw some Harpic at it and be done.

I'm not going anywhere on the bike for a while. I've got the use of a decent garage with power and lighting and I'm bored. This may be the only time I ever remove headers and I will earn some spannering bonus points. I'll be able to stand around in biker meeting places saying "Oh yeah, been there, done that. Yeah, rusty nuts and proper sockets". I'm also giving the radiator a good clean which can't be done when it's on the bike - not with the GTG stuff though.
Lockdown refugee
Le_Fromage_Grande

I think I'd be going for something with less potential for disaster than taking the exhaust headers off, if you snap a stud you'll probably have to take the engine out to get the old snapped off stud removed.

But if you're going to continue, and I think you will, good quality 6 sided socket, loads of penetrating oil (the WD40 brand penetrating oil is good) allow it to soak at least overnight, then warm the engine up and try undoing the stuck nuts with the engine still hot. If you feel the socket slipping, stop and take it round the corner