My next bike

Anything you like about motorbikes
Supermofo

Re: My next bike

Post by Supermofo »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:50 am I get the 150 bhp overkill bit, but its nice to know its there if required. The 0 -100 ish play ground is within reach of much smaller and similar times as the bigger bikes.

My concern wouldn't so much be power overkill but more down to weight. Light bikes rule. 🙂👍
Yes any bike is gonna feel like a porker compared to the 690. The MT09 isn't bad though, although you still feel the weight compared to what I'm used too.

Interestingly the GSXS 750 is actually a few KG heavier than the 1000 believe it or not. But most tests say the 750 feels lighter to ride and not much different to the MT once moving.

I watched a GPS logged 0-100 on the GSXS 1000. It was around the 5 sec mark. The 690 will do an indicated 120 odd MPH but takes significantly longer to get to 100 than 5 secs.

On tester said the the 1000 only really needs 4th as it'll pull away in 4th and do everything from 15-140 odd :lol: I'm used to dancing up and down the box on the 690 and do like being able to red line it in most gears. But that won't be an option on even the 750 passed 3rd except on those closed roads I sometimes ride.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

750 will hit 70 in 2nd, it might do it in 1st, I haven't looked to see what 11,000rpm is in 1st.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My old R6 did 120mph in 2nd before hitting the limiter... and ruining my wheelie.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:29 am
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:34 am However, with great power comes great responsibility.
That's the crux of it. With less traffic and no police/camera's I'd be fairly happy with the 1000. But in the real world 150 bhp means big speeds are (too) easily achieved and unless you're going fast you're not using a large portion of the engine's performance, so why bother having it is where I view it from. So it's less that I'm a wuss, more that I can't see the point in owning it.

I'm very much in the Weeksy camp of riding B-roads for the vast majority of my riding and the 750 or MT09 have more than enough for that. To be fair even they are a bit overkill, but I fancy the odd lairyness. For my actual needs the 690 fits 95% of my riding and I should keep it. But that's biking init you want something else now and again.
I thought you'd moved out of the MT-07 power bracket, but after reading that, I'm not so sure? I think weeksy is right, you should at least bag a test ride on one. Okay, no leccy assistance and basic suspension, but there is a reason they are the darling of the Journos...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:27 am
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:34 am However, with great power comes great responsibility.
That's the crux of it. With less traffic and no police/camera's I'd be fairly happy with the 1000. But in the real world 150 bhp means big speeds are (too) easily achieved and unless you're going fast you're not using a large portion of the engine's performance, so why bother having it is where I view it from. So it's less that I'm a wuss, more that I can't see the point in owning it.

I'm very much in the Weeksy camp of riding B-roads for the vast majority of my riding and the 750 or MT09 have more than enough for that. To be fair even they are a bit overkill, but I fancy the odd lairyness. For my actual needs the 690 fits 95% of my riding and I should keep it. But that's biking init you want something else now and again.
I thought you'd moved out of the MT-07 power bracket, but after reading that, I'm not so sure? I think weeksy is right, you should at least bag a test ride on one. Okay, no leccy assistance and basic suspension, but there is a reason they are the darling of the Journos...
Mine is rapidly becoming "Best bike ever" in a very different way to some of the other Best Bike Evers.... but i'm really struggling to fault it.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:29 am
Taipan wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:27 am

Mine is rapidly becoming "Best bike ever" in a very different way to some of the other Best Bike Evers.... but i'm really struggling to fault it.
It occurred to me it's not what I like about a bike that makes me keep it, it's more what I don't like about it that makes me get rid of it, iyswim? The MT-07 is pretty hard to fault really.

It is the best fuelling FI bike I've had bar none. That is my biggest bugbear on any bike as I often ride in conditions that highlight throttle transitions and they are literally hard to notice on this bike. I'm actually amazed that an OEM bike fuels this good!

The engine is amazing!! Oen of the best engines I've had I any bike, and it suits me to a T! Makes good linear power through the gears and has really good, even harsh, engine braking!! The sound through the exhaust is addictive too! 8-)

The brakes are good and power full but not stupidly so.

Surprisingly comfortable for me, despite looking tiny!

The front end is softly sprung for my weight, but the damping is pretty good over undulations etc. No real complaints about the rear shock and I haven't even looked at what it's set at or bothered to set the sag etc.

Most bothersome thing is the controls. Being tall I find my helmet's chin bar obscures them a bit, but that is being picky. Indicator and horn switch are downright stupid and the worse I've had on any bike. Fooked if I can find the hooter when I need it, which is daily!

MoFo, I used to really push my 690 in a way that I can't with the 07 as its seems a bigger, faster bike to me? So, If me were thee, I'd deffo have a test ride on one...
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Maybe I should the test the 7. I guess most of my prejudice is from my brother and my mate. My brother test rode one with a view to buy and also rode his mate's XSR7 and my mate's Mrs has a brand new Tracer 7. Both said they found the engine a bit flat and dull with no top end. My brother thought compared to the 690 which has a very defined powerband the MT lacks the same fizz. Being more flat torque low/midrange but then runs out up top. But then he does like revving bikes being an IL4 fan. He didn't think the 07 was as an exciting experience compare to the 690 if similar performance.

But bikes are such a personal experience I guess.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:50 am I get the 150 bhp overkill bit, but its nice to know its there if required. The 0 -100 ish play ground is within reach of much smaller and similar times as the bigger bikes.

My concern wouldn't so much be power overkill but more down to weight. Light bikes rule. 🙂👍
Agreed, and that's why I think he has to try them all, and I know it's all relative but I don't class the MT09 as a light bike in amongst his main contenders.
@Supermofo - my rec would be to definitely try an MT07 and a 790 (or 890), which on my reading of what you want , look to fit the criteria best- the main thing that made me love the 790 ( and 890) so much was and still is the nimbleness/ feeling of light weight ;- they and the MT07 really do feel a lot lighter and nimbler than certainly the XSR900, dunno if the current MT09 feels significantly different than the XSR9 without trying it back to back but guessing it would be similar, and I reckon coming from a 690, you will definitely find the MT09 or GSX a fair bit bigger and lardier feeling than you are used to.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:28 pm Maybe I should the test the 7. I guess most of my prejudice is from my brother and my mate. My brother test rode one with a view to buy and also rode his mate's XSR7 and my mate's Mrs has a brand new Tracer 7. Both said they found the engine a bit flat and dull with no top end. My brother thought compared to the 690 which has a very defined powerband the MT lacks the same fizz. Being more flat torque low/midrange but then runs out up top. But then he does like revving bikes being an IL4 fan. He didn't think the 07 was as an exciting experience compare to the 690 if similar performance.

But bikes are such a personal experience I guess.
I completely get what he says too. But his criticism is, as you say, based on being an IL4 fan and I don't think this is the bike for an IL4 fan. I love twins and singles, with the SV650 being a notable favourite B-road bike of mine. This is like that and then some as its quicker steering and more definitely more punchy!
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The 21 mt09 is as light as I need to go. Ye, you can go smaller but power to weight, it's a loon. It definitely feels lighter than the 18 tracer.

Before that I had a 1290 sdgt, honestly, 0 -100/120 you wouldn't know which bike you was on. I don't know the times, I'm going by the hold on tight measure. 🙂
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Must say although the MT09 feels bigger/heavier than the 690, as it would being 30kg more, it felt fine to ride. I felt the same with Weeksy's XSR. You can feel the weight but it's agile enough and to some extend the weight adds some stability in corners.

The 790 does appeal as being a slightly bigger brother to the 690, although to sit on the 790 is lower and shorter so feels smaller in an odd way.

I just need work to stop being a pain in the cock so I can test some bikes. At this rate it'll be Sat morning. Usually I could duck out for a few hours and make it up but got endless calls/meetings at the moment.
Le_Fromage_Grande

The GSXS 750 is no light weight bike, it rides like a modern 80s UJM, it's a direct descendant of the 70s GS750.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:48 pm The GSXS 750 is no light weight bike, it rides like a modern 80s UJM, it's a direct descendant of the 70s GS750.
The 2004 Z750 was the same, but I loved that bike. It was fairly heavy and bouncy but it made me smile. I think in some ways I liked the UJM-ness of it. It wasn't a special bike and I didn't particularly care about it too much. Which then meant I spent more time using it (like a twat) rather than worrying about it getting dirty etc. I went from doing 3-4k a year to 8-9k in the first year I had it.

In many ways that's what draws me to the GSXS. It's a new Z750.
Le_Fromage_Grande

That sums up the GSXS, it's a do everything bike, if that's what you want them also look at the 900 Yamahas and Kawasakis, they're the same thing with more mid range power and dubious looks.

The ultimate bike of this type is the CB1000R, but it's twice the price of the GSXS and a lot more power.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:34 pm That sums up the GSXS, it's a do everything bike, if that's what you want them also look at the 900 Yamahas and Kawasakis, they're the same thing with more mid range power and dubious looks.

The ultimate bike of this type is the CB1000R, but it's twice the price of the GSXS and a lot more power.
They're £8000 and an absolute pussycat.
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:40 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:34 pm That sums up the GSXS, it's a do everything bike, if that's what you want them also look at the 900 Yamahas and Kawasakis, they're the same thing with more mid range power and dubious looks.

They're £8000 and an absolute pussycat.
I thought they were about £15K new, obviously I haven't got off my opinionated arse and actually bothered googling.
Le_Fromage_Grande

A quick look at eBay says £6500 to £13000 for a CB1000R, so not bad, buy a cheap one and you'd have enough left to get it painted in a colour that doesn't make it look very dull.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:45 pm A quick look at eBay says £6500 to £13000 for a CB1000R, so not bad, buy a cheap one and you'd have enough left to get it painted in a colour that doesn't make it look very dull.
I think you'd need £8000 for a quickshifter one. Despite not being beautiful, they're very very very nice handling.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They had a big change in ~2019 I think. When it went from the one with the gimp mask/ball gag headlight to the single round light. They gained a fair few ponies and a bunch of trick hardware.
Le_Fromage_Grande