My next bike

Anything you like about motorbikes
Dodgy69

Re: My next bike

Post by Dodgy69 »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:39 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:52 pm You can get a brand new RE Himalayan for £4699 OTR :)
But they're shit
Do they have a Quickshifter. ?
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:08 am
KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:52 pm You can get a brand new RE Himalayan for £4699 OTR :)
But they're shit
Do they have a Quickshifter. ?
It's probably got peddles
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

So what's todays plan ?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

But they're shit
Details!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:52 am So what's todays plan ?
Nothing yet. Was busy taking the kids out yesterday and today got a load of work on so nothing today I don't think. Suzuki dealer is closed till tomorrow so might try and get up there this week but got a load of work on and my oppo has just taken a month off as his Dad is sick so might not get much bike hunting in during the week :thumbdown:

Having said that. After a nights sleep I did reflect that testing the 09 in the weather I did wasn't particularly reflective of my riding. Tiptoeing about in the slime didn't let me know much so not sure if I might be better off waiting for temps to go up a bit so I can push the bikes a bit more to get the full differences.

I was also thinking of how bad the throttle response was on the 09. Might not notice as much in summer but was very noticeable on crap roads. Had yours been flashed the first time I rode it? I know you said it had the 2nd time, but you'd not had it long the first ride I had on it. I don't remember yours being as bad either time I rode it. But that could of been it being summer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Pretty sure it had yes...
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:38 am Pretty sure it had yes...
Yeah with the 09 I was finding even pulling away it was hard in the slime to get a smooth take off. Partly new bike and rusty-ness but think it was mainly the bike. You pull away trying not to give it too much and the throttle would give nothing and then bang you'd get a smack of torque in a dollop you don't really want. Def would look at a reflash pending how I got on with it. It's also made me want to test the Suzuki and Z9. I suspect being 4's they'd be much smoother as standard. All to play for as they say.

Was wondering overnight if I bit the bullet on that one I tested. It's a good price for age/mileage. New hoses, get them to drill out the snapped bolt and put new bobbin in, could paint the small chip on the swingarm and ignore the scrape on the footpeg. But then thought my initial reaction was the right one. They'd still be the rust on the discs, the peeling heated grip control and knowing it'd been dropped. And £7k I think is enough I'd not want doubts about my purchase.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Has the MT got traction control?
With my Suzuki I can just nail the throttle in slippery conditions and the TC cuts the power if it needs to.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:27 pm Has the MT got traction control?
With my Suzuki I can just nail the throttle in slippery conditions and the TC cuts the power if it needs to.
If you get the Enfield you can just nail the power in slippery conditions and it's not an issue by default.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:27 pm Has the MT got traction control?
It does.

However it didn't seem to stop the thing going completely sideways at one point in the ride in a straight line. TC was set to 1 and I left it on that. I'd have thought it might have reacted better but the rear stepped out a fair way and I'm fairly certain it was my reaction ie shutting the throttle that stopped it going further. I was too worried about crashing to see any flashing lights on the dash, no changes to engine noise/pull other than me shutting the throttle.

It was about 10c on Sat with lots of wind. The road I was on was dry but white with salt and I was in a straight line not cornering. I wound it on swifty but not hard ie nowhere near WOT. The rear stepped out several inches and fair made me shite my paints. After that I was a lot more circumspect with the throttle and turned TC to 2 which I assume is more assistance. I've never had a bike with TC before and it I didn't know better I'd not have thought the MT had it for the good it did. I suspect if I did what you said and just pinned it I'd have ended up on my head with a £1000 excess bill.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:21 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:38 am Pretty sure it had yes...
Yeah with the 09 I was finding even pulling away it was hard in the slime to get a smooth take off. Partly new bike and rusty-ness but think it was mainly the bike. You pull away trying not to give it too much and the throttle would give nothing and then bang you'd get a smack of torque in a dollop you don't really want. Def would look at a reflash pending how I got on with it. It's also made me want to test the Suzuki and Z9. I suspect being 4's they'd be much smoother as standard. All to play for as they say.

Was wondering overnight if I bit the bullet on that one I tested. It's a good price for age/mileage. New hoses, get them to drill out the snapped bolt and put new bobbin in, could paint the small chip on the swingarm and ignore the scrape on the footpeg. But then thought my initial reaction was the right one. They'd still be the rust on the discs, the peeling heated grip control and knowing it'd been dropped. And £7k I think is enough I'd not want doubts about my purchase.
I'm a no on the one you sent me in Whatsapp. It's not terrible but i'd rather spend £300-500 to get a nicer one.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

But i would demo the next closest one too mate, it could be that A mode on all of them are as bad as some say and it'll need flashing anyway. I didn't use A before flashing, so i don't really recall how bad it was. TBH i didn't use it that much after flashing as STD is a lot smoother.

It could be that the MT09 fuelling you just simply don't get on with and for the sake of another test, i'd certainly find out.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I went out on Sunday lunchtime on my Suzuki, TC set to 2 ( 0=off, 3 =max, Suzuki recommend 2 for normal riding), roads varying from damp to dry and salty, some crap on them in places, I just rode it normally, I was more worried about the front wheel sliding so was a bit cautious on the slimier corners, but definitely no spinning in a straight line.

First time I noticed the TC was on some gravel when it spun a little, cut the power and then gripped.
I'd have thought the MTs TC would be very similar or better as they're more expensive than the Suzuki and similar power.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:06 pm I'd have thought the MTs TC would be very similar or better as they're more expensive than the Suzuki and similar power.
That was my expectation as well. I'd guess the MT would have more midrange torque but you'd hope the TC would have caught it. It certainty didn't react as I'd have hoped.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I think relying too much on TC will make you a poorer rider.

I could happily razz a GSXR1000 around the circuits on slicks in the wet.

Just my 2p
Le_Fromage_Grande

Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:44 pm I think relying too much on TC will make you a poorer rider.

I could happily razz a GSXR1000 around the circuits on slicks in the wet.

Just my 2p
I think you're correct, but the same is true of most things that make bikes better to ride, I doubt if I could ride a 1980 YZ125 fast now (probably the most difficult bike I've ridden)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:44 pm I think relying too much on TC will make you a poorer rider.
I don't think I could switch off 26 years of riding without TC and from Saturday's experience I def don't think I'd expect to much from it.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

As you know Jason, why not ask him if they can do some sort of extended warranty on this ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115200051493 ... Sw0xdh5XFh

Or at least help out if it has the usual issues....

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Just man up and buy a Panigale V4S on the never never.

It's want I'd do. If my wife would let me.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:21 pm As you know Jason, why not ask him if they can do some sort of extended warranty on this ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115200051493 ... Sw0xdh5XFh

Or at least help out if it has the usual issues....

Wrong shop, Jason is at the KTM Centre in Hemel. I'm tempted to see if Jay has an 890s coming up