Anyone else starting to think, plan, sort for the coming spring ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Scootabout

Re: Anyone else starting to think, plan, sort for the coming spring ?

Post by Scootabout »

RBR starts in April. Welsh National Rally has been rescued by ACU: 7 May. National Road Rally early July. Wales trip with a biking group late July.

That'll do me for starters.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

So these salty roads... Do they need rain to clean them up before going out ?

I've got the MT07 in for a service this Fri morning and whilst it'd be cold, it's only 20 miles and i've got heated grips, so i wouldn't die....

But it's not rained for weeks now and been salted/gritted in between.

Trailer or ride... Hmmmmm
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

My bike is now smothered in some sort of residue since it's weekend clean and the roads look sort of shiny in places? Is that salt?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:48 am Trailer or ride... Hmmmmm
If it's an open trailer will it make any / much difference?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:51 pm
Yeah as it's centred it doesn't get much from tyres etc. I could also put a cover on it for the journey
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:53 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:51 pm
Yeah as it's centred it doesn't get much from tyres etc. I could also put a cover on it for the journey
Trailer wins then, but then I'm a full card carrying 5 star FWB nowadays.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Well that didnt go according to plan ....... As the Fazer is at work for use there at the moment i got the Multstrada out today to go get a pic for the thread "up there"

Started fine, rode fine and pulled well. Parked up and went back to start it 5 minutes later and got a disco of flashing warning lights and error message

Tried to reset it but no joy so looks like a trip to either the dealer to try and blag a free replacement as its a known issue with them (this bike is on its second fuel sensor already) or to the independant for a slightly less expensive fix
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

When threads collide... is that 'character'?

Or the reason I wouldn't buy a Ducati, no matter how much I love the looks (well, some of them) and the sounds?

;)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Just been out for mince.... half of the roads are like an MX track as the tractors have gone nuts... if my decision wasn't already mostly made, it sure is now !!!!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Now I've got my bike in a garage close enough to meander over to.... Once the house is sorted out (everything out of boxes and on shelves/in the loft), then I'll be mostly sorting out the garage.

Bike specific stuff will checking I installed the front shock correctly (there's an odd 'bump' happening on larger lumps when riding), and then there's a few mods & fixes I want to do, but hopefully, assuming the battery holds charge, the tyres hold air and the fuel isn't stagnant, I'll be back to riding a bit more. :)

Might not be doing my fortnightly commute just yet (it's still bloomin cold and I haven't ridden in winter for about 3 years now) but that IS the plan for the future.
non quod, sed quomodo
Numnut

Post by Numnut »

Normally, I'm climbing the walls waiting to get out, checking the weather to try and work out when the gritters might not go out. I'm not really that bothered at the moment though. It doesn't help that we'll need a biblical amount of rain to clear the salt off the roads - apparently north essex gets pretty cold...
I can see bike time being hard to fit in this year so had been thinking of replacing the 790 with something less precious, but I'm not sure I really want to!

Once it warms up a bit, I'd imagine I'll forget about all that and I'll be hooning around the lanes like a typical ktm rider!
dern

Post by dern »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:59 am My bike is now smothered in some sort of residue since it's weekend clean and the roads look sort of shiny in places? Is that salt?
Lick it.
tricol

Post by tricol »

Yea, we really need a few solid days of rain to wash it all away. Think it's not too far away. Might get the bike out this weekend just to run the engine. Keeping my eyes peeled for the first dry road mild day....
Yamaha MT09 SP
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I'm usually the only one riding this time of year. Got first session of physio on finger tmrw, so I'll get an idea of when I can start riding.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:59 am My bike is now smothered in some sort of residue since it's weekend clean and the roads look sort of shiny in places? Is that salt?
Could be the slippy crap they mix with the salt (to help stop the salt washing away iirc). I think it's urea and, once it get damp, it's like the roads are made of Teflon. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:49 pm
Could be the slippy crap they mix with the salt (to help stop the salt washing away iirc). I think it's urea and, once it get damp, it's like the roads are made of Teflon. :(
Is it ever, my Mitsubishi has been wheel spin tastic this week.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I definitely would have been out today,if I hadn't bust myself. There hasn't been any salt spreading for a couple of weeks now and the rain has cleaned the roads nicely. Not too cold either,hovering around the 9-10 degrees with bright,sunny skies.

At this time of year,it all hangs on a thread,another cold snap will have the gritters out again and back to square one.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:08 pm When threads collide... is that 'character'?

Or the reason I wouldn't buy a Ducati, no matter how much I love the looks (well, some of them) and the sounds?

;)
Its a known thing as Ducati built these bikes with shit quality fuel sensors. I had 2 replaced FOC on my 40000 mile Multi and this one had a new one fitted when it was 2000 miles old. About 2017/2018 ish Ducati started using Bosch parts at the factory as far as i know and its no longer an "issue"

Its one of those things that every Multi owner expects to happen and when it doesnt its a bonus ......A bit like KTM and their shit seals that are constantly replaced until the factory start making the bikes with better quality ones
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Rode to Cartagena circuit (not too far away) two weeks ago, as some Moto GP riders were testing.

Going up to Salamanca for a few days in mid February, and off to Czechia and Slovakia in early May. Hopefully the Austrian passes will be open by then, otherwise a detour needed.

It may be warmer here than the UK, but now I'm used to the hot weather, 15°c is positively freezing
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Whysub wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:56 pm Rode to Cartagena circuit (not too far away) two weeks ago, as some Moto GP riders were testing.

Going up to Salamanca for a few days in mid February, and off to Czechia and Slovakia in early May. Hopefully the Austrian passes will be open by then, otherwise a detour needed.

It may be warmer here than the UK, but now I'm used to the hot weather, 15°c is positively freezing
15 degrees !!! :angry-cussingblack: At the merest hint of an outside chance of double digits and 3 dry days in a row, if the forks come back for the Trihumph on Saturday it may get a tootle out on Sunday
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900