Boris - how much longer will he suvive?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
slowsider

Re: Boris - how much longer will he suvive?

Post by slowsider »

JackyJoll wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:12 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:07 pm
the agreement where the various countries agreed to recognise Germany as an actual power and defined it's borders, I think it begins with an L
Lebensraum.
That was a somewhat flexible definition of borders
Potter

Post by Potter »

Nope, I was thinking of the locarno treaty (sp?).
Too busy to get into it atm.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Blimey! Ones defected, David Davis has said 'For god's sake go', someone has suggested his briefings are based on deciding whether to admit being stupid or being a liar or some such but, most unusual of all, Starmer got a half decent joke in. 'Have the whips told your MPs to bring their own boos?' He'll be on Have I Got News For You before long! : :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:21 pm My money is on him being deposed by the New Year.
I was out, by about a month. New forecast is "by 1st February".
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Docca

Post by Docca »

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:47 pm Blimey! Ones defected, David Davis has said 'For god's sake go', someone has suggested his briefings are based on deciding whether to admit being stupid or being a liar or some such but, most unusual of all, Starmer got a half decent joke in. 'Have the whips told your MPs to bring their own boos?' He'll be on Have I Got News For You before long! : :lol:
Just bought Private Eye...Starmer lifted the joke straight off the cover! The boy shows promise. :D
Voltaire
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:47 pm Blimey! Ones defected, David Davis has said 'For god's sake go',
Being compared to Chamberlain when he thinks hes Churchill has to smart a bit :mrgreen:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

“In the name of God, go!”

It was first spoken by Oliver *Cromwell in 1653 when forcibly ejecting the remaining members of the *Long Parliament: 'You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!'

http://www.historyworld.net/Articles/P ... af&pid=405
Potter

Post by Potter »

I've got plenty to say about all this, it's entertainment for me, but it's hard for me to try and get into a UK mindset, because I can't figure out why anyone would stay living there under this type of leadership. If I was living in the UK now and paying 25-40% of my salary in tax every month for this then I'd pack up and leave, there is no way I'd be mugged off like that.

I do appreciate it's a mindset thing and it's not in everyone's DNA to just up and leave, but it's a circus at your expense and I couldn't stomach it, if they were doing this with my money then I'd be off.
This is honestly not a wind-up, I just couldn't sit there paying out for something this ridiculous.
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:54 am I've got plenty to say about all this, it's entertainment for me, but it's hard for me to try and get into a UK mindset, because I can't figure out why anyone would stay living there under this type of leadership. If I was living in the UK now and paying 25-40% of my salary in tax every month for this then I'd pack up and leave, there is no way I'd be mugged off like that.

I do appreciate it's a mindset thing and it's not in everyone's DNA to just up and leave, but it's a circus at your expense and I couldn't stomach it, if they were doing this with my money then I'd be off.
This is honestly not a wind-up, I just couldn't sit there paying out for something this ridiculous.
It is a mistake to believe as you do the shite in the popular press, life pretty much continues with the Government and Parliamentary muppetry as background noise. Plus ça change.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:54 am I've got plenty to say about all this, it's entertainment for me, but it's hard for me to try and get into a UK mindset, because I can't figure out why anyone would stay living there under this type of leadership. If I was living in the UK now and paying 25-40% of my salary in tax every month for this then I'd pack up and leave, there is no way I'd be mugged off like that.

2 questions then.

1. Where do 'we' go that we're allowed to relocate to easily ? taking into account things like jobs, children, schooling, house sales, purchases.
2. Where do 'we' find the £20,000-40,000 whatever it costs to relocate ?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I upped and left. I didn't do it because of political dissatisfaction though, you meet plenty of moaning, miserable expats who have though, amongst other things. Most of them immediately find fault with their new host country and bang on about that forever. If anyone can provide me with a list of countries where the political system isn't pretty fecked and your tax money is genuinely being spent wisely, I'm all ears. The point is, moving abroad isn't a massively big deal and folk shouldn't be afraid of it.

It doesn't have to be super expensive. We left with no more than would fit in a car boot and a small trailer and basically started again, just winged it.

Obviously brexit is now limiting your options to some extent but it's not insurmountable, it's mainly effing boring paperwork.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I paid a lot of tax in the UK, but was earning plenty so was OK. After I left we paid a shitload in CGT which stung, but it was planned for.

I still pay tax in UK but get absolutely zero benefit from it :(
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Potter wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:54 am I've got plenty to say about all this
Yes.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:42 am I paid a lot of tax in the UK, but was earning plenty so was OK. After I left we paid a shitload in CGT which stung, but it was planned for.

Wot? No pension?
Voltaire
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Think I'd only relocate in search for better weather and financial sense. Wherever you go in the world, those making the rules are generally horrible, corrupt types who have little interest in the needs of planet sustainability and the welfare of us common folk.
Yamaha rocket 3
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

You pay little tax there because of oil money and a much reduced welfare net, once oil revenue dries up and they find democracy you won't like it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:20 am
Yorick wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:42 am I paid a lot of tax in the UK, but was earning plenty so was OK. After I left we paid a shitload in CGT which stung, but it was planned for.

Wot? No pension?
I fully qualified for that many years ago.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:42 am I still pay tax in UK but get absolutely zero benefit from it :(
Direct taxation in the U.K. is usually on profit or something you earn in the U.K. Those earnings or profit are a benefit.

Edit: from the above post, is your “problem” that you pay tax on your old age pension, like everyone else who reaches the threshold?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:28 am If anyone can provide me with a list of countries where the political system isn't pretty fecked and your tax money is genuinely being spent wisely, I'm all ears.
Norway seems alright. They make billions in oil revenue, but it's invested in a sovereign wealth fund for the benefit of all Norwegians*. It means no-one is mega rich, but it also means everyone can be assured of an education, health care and care in their old age. I think they actually have the largest sovereign wealth fund in the world, it's also written into law that the money can be invested anywhere except in Norway.

Weather probably ain't that great :D

*Novel idea that. Dig up part of a country and sell it, then give the money to the entire population of said country. Smells commie to me.