In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Yorick

Re: In todays news...

Post by Yorick »

If I hadn't read this, I wouldn't believe it :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/59870550
Last edited by Yorick on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:37 pm If I hadn't read this, I wouldn't believe it :(

It's a natural consequence of the agitating over Brexit: from 'no foreign law', to 'no domestic law', to 'no bugger's gonna tell me what I can't do'.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:37 pm If I hadn't read this, I wouldn't believe it :(

It's free speech. They're wrong but it's better to have them openly showing what divs they are.
Horse

Post by Horse »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:30 pm

It's free speech. They're wrong but it's better to have them openly showing what divs they are.
Not quite free speech when they take patients out of a hospital.

In December, two Covid patients were taken out of hospitals in Liverpool and Milton Keynes, against the advice of doctors and nurses.

Video of the incident in Liverpool's Aintree University Hospital shows activists boasting of their presumed legal jurisdiction as "common law constables". They told staff and police they were under "open arrest". A man was later arrested in connection with the incident.

There was a similar incident last year in Ireland when an elderly Covid patient was removed from a hospital and taken home by a man citing a combination of anti-vaccine and sovereign citizen beliefs. The patient was returned to hospital two days later, and eventually died.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

For years I've seen people want IT jobs because they think the streets are paved with gold, shit like this just perpetuates the myth.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59045771
I decided to learn Python at Christmas as it seems to be the popular choice, it is really easy and nobody is going to pay loads of money for that skill. It can be worth a lot when combined with other skills but these articles always gloss over that part.
Cypher Coders boss, Elizabeth Tweedale, goes even further. She believes that men and women often have different learning styles and coding education needs to reflect that.

She says men often follow a linear approach of going from A to Z when solving problems, while women often start from the problem and work backwards.

"We need to reinvent technology and coding environments [with] user interfaces to draw women in," she says.
That'll be why female carpenters screw the cabinet together before cutting the pieces out. :wtf:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mussels wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:44 pm For years I've seen people want IT jobs because they think the streets are paved with gold, shit like this just perpetuates the myth.
For every IT worker earning a truck load of cash there's thousands just making ends meet.
Last edited by Pirahna on Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Look like roaring bumders to me.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:33 pm
Mussels wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:44 pm For years I've seen people want IT jobs because they think the streets are paved with gold, shit like this just perpetuates the myth.
For every IT worker earning a truck load of cash there's thousands just making ends meet.
I suspect it's just 'cause IT is well established now. My 'rents both did pretty well out of careers in IT but they also both started in the late 70s/early 80s when IT was a nascent field. The industry exploded over the next few decades and their jobs went with it. I think the image of a hot new field paved with gold still lingers on a bit, but reality has moved on.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59045771
I decided to learn Python at Christmas as it seems to be the popular choice, it is really easy and nobody is going to pay loads of money for that skill. It can be worth a lot when combined with other skills but these articles always gloss over that part.
Cypher Coders boss, Elizabeth Tweedale, goes even further. She believes that men and women often have different learning styles and coding education needs to reflect that.

She says men often follow a linear approach of going from A to Z when solving problems, while women often start from the problem and work backwards.

"We need to reinvent technology and coding environments [with] user interfaces to draw women in," she says.
That'll be why female carpenters screw the cabinet together before cutting the pieces out. :wtf:
Female carpenters? Don't be daft, carpentry's a man's job. :roll: ;)

By the way, how come Elizabeth Tweedale gets away with saying men and women are different but James Damore gets himself fired from Google for saying men and women are different?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Saga Lout wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:38 am
By the way, how come Elizabeth Tweedale gets away with saying men and women are different but James Damore gets himself fired from Google for saying men and women are different?
#
Because men and women are different?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Same way that pulling down a statue of Colston is ok, but pulling down a statue of Nelson Mandela is a heinous crime.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Millionaires say they should pay more tax, I'm feeing cynical about this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60053919
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

Mussels wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:44 pm

I think she's right. Women look at all the bits that need screwing together (ie, the problem, Z) then go back to the box and read the instructions. ( ie, the beginning A) :lol:

Note: there may be some stereotyping in the above statement.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Bike Breaker wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:49 pm

I think she's right. Women look at all the bits that need screwing together (ie, the problem, Z) then go back to the box and read the instructions. ( ie, the beginning A) :lol:

Note: there may be some stereotyping in the above statement.
Whereas men ALWAYS read the instructions first. NOT!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bike Breaker wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:49 pm

I think she's right. Women look at all the bits that need screwing together (ie, the problem, Z) then go back to the box and read the instructions.
Then they get a fella in :)
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Mussels wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:40 pm Millionaires say they should pay more tax, I'm feeing cynical about this.
Everybody is allowed to pay more tax than they are legally obliged to pay. It isn't against the law to give money to HMRC or the IRS*. How much extra do these particular millionaires currently pay? That should give us a measure of how serious they are while also giving us a measure of how cynical you are.

How many people really think the government knows better than them how to spend their money?

* I'm not sure about other countries but I doubt if it's against the law anywhere.
Horse

Post by Horse »

All they have to do is spend their money, almost anything they buy will have some sort of sales tax.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I always thought the Doozers were the best.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:40 pm Millionaires say they should pay more tax, I'm feeing cynical about this.
Not content with being rich, she wants fame and limelight as well.
There is nothing stopping her imposing a ceiling on the money in her bank and giving the rest away, quietly.

I'm happy with it though, I don't think anyone needs more than a million quid in the bank and my vow has always been that I don't want to be a tattooed millionaire (c. Bruce Dickenson). Once it gets to that point you should give it to your kids and then once they have 999k the rest MUST be given away or you face ten years in a Cat A prison.

If I got into power tomorrow I'd take all their money off them and leave them with less than a million, then see what they have to say.