Are bikes getting too complicated?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Horse

Re: Are bikes getting too complicated?

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:01 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:39 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm The big problem would be spares availability of course.
It's been quite surprising how much of The Priest's Triumph has decayed, rotted or crumbled.
Its 20 years old now I think? Bikes aren't built for 20 year lives I wouldn't have thought.
Perhaps not, but it was non-critical things like connectors in the fuel system that particularly surprised me.

If '20 years', that would be an average. What could the worst case be? After all, it's only petrol ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The fuel thing effected that particular bike pretty much from new. It's worth remembering that model of Triumph* was the first to have fuel injection, plastic fuel tank, in house twin spar ally frame etc. The fuel thing is more debugging than anything else.

*Nearly. Priests bike is not the very first T595/T509 family but the fuel system for example is the same as the very first 1997 "brand new design Triumph".
I.e. from when they went all in properly on an in house bike with loads of tech
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:19 pm I had a mini, I grew to hate "points" with a passion.
The problem with Minis was compounded by where they put the distributor. I saw all sorts of wheezes to try and protect them from the elements. A common one was to use a rubber glove with the leads through the fingers. The number of times one of my housemates had to get out in the rain and spray the distributor he should have had shares in the spray company (can't remember what it was but most Mini owners had some).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Points were fine in their day. The trick was to set them using a dwell angle meter and the key to reliability was to use a locking "star" washer. But, yes they were still shite compared to the first CDi...
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

slowsider wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:16 am Manual advance/retard and hand oil pump ftw :)
Don't forget acetylene lights.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:16 pm
slowsider wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:16 am Manual advance/retard and hand oil pump ftw :)
Don't forget acetylene lights.
How dim do you think I am? ;)
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:54 pm I bet you all drive with loads of leccy stuff but nobody moans about that.
Leccy windows?
Central locking?
Power steering?
ABS

Just bikers moaning again :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Up to a couple of years ago, I drove a Scudo with no ABS, leccy windies or central locking. PAS was just a mechanical pump. Ironically what killed it was the electronic control for the immobilizer would make the damn thing die at random intervals and you didn't have the wee mechanical stop on the pump that would let you dump the solenoid and just use a cable.
Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:03 pm If points were good, cars would still be using them.
Last car I had with points was an 89 Panda, was going to replace them but the child in the local motor factors didn't know what the hell I was talking about.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Bigjawa wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:56 pm Up to a couple of years ago, I drove a Scudo with no ABS, leccy windies or central locking. PAS was just a mechanical pump. Ironically what killed it was the electronic control for the immobilizer would make the damn thing die at random intervals and you didn't have the wee mechanical stop on the pump that would let you dump the solenoid and just use a cable.
Was it the 1.9D? I had the same van but the Pug Expert version. You could bin the Lucas Delphi pump for the Bosch out many a French/Italian motor for a simpler life and running on veg oil.