Are bikes getting too complicated?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Are bikes getting too complicated?

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Carbs wouldn't pass current emission laws, the last of the carbed GSXR750s were better than any fuel injected bike I've ridden for throttle response btw.

The same goes for points ignition, but I've only had two bikes that had problems with the electronics, a 1979 Suzuki X7 and a 1983 GPz1100, both of them had the igniter box die, the X7 completely and the GPz stopped advancing the ignition.

The only car I've had electronic problems with was a Volvo V40 that needed annual reboots - but it was 15 years old and had done 140,000 miles.

If you're that worried by the electronics on a bike fit carbs and an Ignitech ignition, but you'll be wasting your money.

If you want to whinge about something on modern bikes, look at the price of headlamps, one for my GSXS is ten times the cost of one for my YPVS, though you could easily fit a much cheaper headlight on the Suzuki.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Dickyboy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:01 pm If I could buy a modernish bike with decent brakes, suspension, reliable engine etc but carbed instead of efi and decent lights, no need for a starter either on something like a 750 vee twin I'd be all over it like a rash.

The GS is okay for now but it's only got 5k on the clock but electrical gremlin could kill it & I could easily see myself swapping out the efi on the guzzi for some decent carbs in the future as the electronics are shite :roll:
Kick-start? WTF ?

How about solid tyres? Save them pesky punctures.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I was absolutely delighted when electronic ignition came in and replaced contact breaker points. I hated those damn things with a passion. I well remember fiddling with a screwdriver and fag paper at 6 a.m. needing to get to work in the 70s on my CB77. Lovely bike, but it had not one but TWO sets of points. Trying to get both set correctly was a sore trial of my patience. So no, give me electronic ignition any day of the year/decade/century.

My only gripe with EFI is that manufacturers often use it as a way to get past noise regs by engineering a flat spot at the testing rpm, which then either needs re-chipping or an ECU flash to fix. And with Euro 4/5, running the bike so damn lean that low down fuelling is jerky and snatchy. But that isn't a fault of EFI per se, just the way manufacturers use it to get past increasingly strict noise and emissions regs.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I found points easy to set up, but they weren't very reliable, had a set break on an RD400 and condensors died on a GT185 I had (yep I had some shite bikes).
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Kick-start? WTF ?
Junking the weight of the starter motor & big battery is a major bonus and that's speaking as someone who owned an xl500 & an SRX600 with all their starter issues...
Felix

Post by Felix »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:30 am Yes, too many sensors and fragile tech. I'd love to have a brand new one of these. I had a 1989 E reg 130 saloon and loved it. Had 2 mates who had the 1.8 aswel.

Had three but just the standard 1.8LS engines. Cracking motors.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:22 pm
The same goes for points ignition, but I've only had two bikes that had problems with the electronics, a 1979 Suzuki X7 and a 1983 GPz1100, both of them had the igniter box die, the X7 completely and the GPz stopped advancing the ignition.
Small world,my old 1979 X7 went through a few CDI box's,I thought it was just my bike...
One thing with modern electronics that winds me up is the fact that the fancy dash can fail & the bike leaves you stranded.I've seen a few reports of this on Triumph forums & I've read that it's not unique to Triumph :shock:
I'm looking for another more ADV type bike to join my Street Triple & the Honda CB500X is favourite mainly due to it's lack of electronics.No ride modes etc,just the basic EFI & ABS,same as my 675R Street Triple.I'm half tempted to buy a 650 Intercptor & make it more 'Soft road' ready,it appeals because it's just got basic electronics,I'm just a bit wary of the long term reliability of the Enfields.
tricol

Post by tricol »

I'm probably too young to even understand what a carburettor was. But I'd say like a few here, they're not complicated, they just need to work from the off. I'm hearing on Trident groups of spurious errors, transmission faults, EWLs etc. On a bike that should be trouble free.

My question, perhaps for another thread is, have we reached peak ICE? In terms of refinement, performance and efficiency? I don't think we have.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Le_Fromage_Grande

X7s blowing cdis was very common, I found out later it's caused by a bad earth.

I have to say if I was going to Africa on a bike I'd be picking a bike as simple as possible, with a carb and points if possible.
dern

Post by dern »

I reckon this could be quite an interesting topic if it didn't generate a load of "don't want modern complicated bikes? why don't you just ride a house brick?" comments.

Would happily have a sports bike that had all the advantages of modern engineering and fuel injection but don't need 5 rider modes, electronic launch control, electronic suspension and a tft display that displays everything including your current pcp finance agreement statement and credit rating.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

dern wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:28 pm I reckon this could be quite an interesting topic if it didn't generate a load of "don't want modern complicated bikes? why don't you just ride a house brick?" comments.

Would happily have a sports bike that had all the advantages of modern engineering and fuel injection but don't need 5 rider modes, electronic launch control, electronic suspension and a tft display that displays everything including your current pcp finance agreement statement and credit rating.
I guess the closest is a gsxr750. But they stopped making new ones ages ago now.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

dern wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:28 pm I reckon this could be quite an interesting topic if it didn't generate a load of "don't want modern complicated bikes? why don't you just ride a house brick?" comments.

You could just buy a new one and stick tape over the controls for the rider mode :thumbsup:
dern

Post by dern »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:38 pm You could just buy a new one and stick tape over the controls for the rider mode :thumbsup:
Sure but you still have to pay for it. I got a load of stuff with the 1190adv and I really enjoyed playing with it for ten minutes and then haven't touched it since. Happily all this is mostly a moot point as there's tons of second hand bikes available.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm the same with my car, it's got switchable this that and the other. I never ever change it. Even when I do change it, it takes me no more than a minute to mentally "dial it out" and end up back where I was :lol:
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dern

Post by dern »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:37 pm I guess the closest is a gsxr750. But they stopped making new ones ages ago now.
My cbr is pretty good and has no electronic aids. I did wonder for a bit whether they'd make it better for me on track but I'm pretty sure it's me that makes it slow :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I bet you all drive with loads of leccy stuff but nobody moans about that.
Leccy windows?
Central locking?
Power steering?
ABS

Just bikers moaning again :obscene-birdiedoublered:
dern

Post by dern »

I do now but before this car I didn't. I've got this one now as I did get sick of the more basic cars breaking down so much.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:54 pm I bet you all drive with loads of leccy stuff but nobody moans about that.
Leccy windows?
Central locking?
Power steering?
ABS

Just bikers moaning again :obscene-birdiedoublered:
TBF, I wasn't moaning, just asking the question. My last K12 had a few whistles and bells - cruise control, suspension adjustable electrically/electronically, heated grips, seats etc etc (the previous one even had a sound system :lol: ). It was :thumbup: The ownership experience is rather car-like though, you know that any issues will need a trip to the dealers - not that I had any issues with the 2nd K12. Unlike the 1st....with an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser :roll:
I feel happier out in the boonies on a bike I've half a chance of fixing if things go pear shaped though but, in a typically odd human way, never think about it in a car....and don't carry anything that could fix one, even if I could do the fix. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Only thing I'd refuse is traction control. Firstly I love the riding experience without it. And if you became fully reliant, then it failed without warning......
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I love all the modern bike gizmos, that's why I bought the mt. Up and down qs is great fun, not necessary, but great fun. TC might save your arse one day, maybe abs, don't like it on track though.

Power modes is the one I ain't sure about, Surely the right hand should cover that, wet, dry or icy. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3