Boris - how much longer will he suvive?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mussels

Re: Boris - how much longer will he suvive?

Post by Mussels »

demographic wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 am So the "VIP lane" for PPE contracts which often went to people who donated funds to the Conservative party has been found "Unlawful".

I'm not sure if that means someone ends up in deep shite or not cos with the current state of corruption within the MET I have my doubts about their will to prosecute the government on any laws.
<Shrugs>
They also found the contracts were fair, there was a panic on at the time so I doubt anything will come of this
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:41 am The blue media are gradually abandoning him, they tend not to do that until it's a done deal
When the Express says it's time for him to go, that's when you know the game is up.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

demographic wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 am So the "VIP lane" for PPE contracts which often went to people who donated funds to the Conservative party has been found "Unlawful".

I'm not sure if that means someone ends up in deep shite or not cos with the current state of corruption within the MET I have my doubts about their will to prosecute the government on any laws.
<Shrugs>
Probably most large viable businesses donate to the Tories. Many donate to both major parties.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I'm deeply skeptical about this so-called 'independent report' being prepared by Sue Grey.

She’s a serving permanent secretary. The PM - now implicated in the inquiry - is effectively her boss! The report goes straight to Johnson who decides what action should be taken. And it gets worse. The Metropolitan Police have effectively outsourced the decision on whether to investigate a crime to the very institution accused of committing it. It’s completely insane.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It's a tricky calculation for those that are plotting to replace him. The new leader doesn't want to walk into a complete shit-storm of issues like covid and the 'where's my Brexit dividend?' and why has my mortgage gone up 5%? etc. Ideally they want to pin it all on him and ride in like a white knight as the person that is going to save us all from the sort of mess that 'he got us into'. Perfect timing would be just before things are going to perk up anyway (as local politicians have little actual control over macro-economics in reality).

They would probably like to leave it 9 months+ or a set period before the next election. The danger is that he sorts a few things out and the electorate, having the memory of a goldfish, forget about all the current to-do and start saying 'well, he's all right really'. Sunak will be trying to put a brake on him spending his way into the voters hearts....he's saving the tax cuts for his own coronation. Others won't be helping much.

Then there are the various people with ambition who may neutralise each other in the process so a dark, unobjectionable, horse sneaks in - as has happened before.

My guess is there's a few months of dirty dealing in the commons bars to go yet, unless somebody jumps the gun and makes a straight pitch. If the head-bangers get behind one of the Tory 'ultras' and the moderates see their majorities disappearing we could be in for a bit of spectator sport as the party turns on itself. Unfortunately, as a race, the current field is more like a selling plate event than The Derby.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Mussels wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:43 pm

<Shrugs>
They also found the contracts were fair, there was a panic on at the time so I doubt anything will come of this
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-vip-la ... s-12514239
COVID: 'VIP lane' used by government to hand out PPE contracts to two companies during first coronavirus wave was unlawful, High Court rules

A judge rules that preferential treatment was given but it was likely that PestFix and Ayanda Capital would have got work anyway given the rush for PPE in the early days of the pandemic.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Horse

Post by Horse »

The distraction campaign has started, with today's announcement that the BBC licence fee will be ending.

Hmmm wanting to get rid of something, but having no plan for a replacement. Sounds familiar!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:26 pm The distraction campaign has started, with today's announcement that the BBC licence fee will be ending.

Hmmm wanting to get rid of something, but having no plan for a replacement. Sounds familiar!
Sounds like the plan is 'let's do what Rupert Murdoch tells us to'. :roll:

It's an odd one though, I know lots of people will say 'whoopee, saves £150'+ and some will (proudly!) say, 'never watch it anyway' but a fair few will clutch their pearls and say 'not the good old BBC you cultural heathens!'
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:55 pm but a fair few will clutch their pearls and say 'not the good old BBC you cultural heathens!'
And that's only the blokes.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Uk governments really are puppets on a string, manipulated and controlled by the (non-dom) media barons. So Nadine Dorries would only have been following orders from the top when she made that announcement. Nonetheless whenever her name is mentioned my first thought is the content of a spoof Wikipedia entry about her.

'Nadine Dorries is as thick as a Boxing Day turd'
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:18 pm Uk governments really are puppets on a string, manipulated and controlled by the (non-dom) media barons. So Nadine Dorries would only have been following orders from the top when she made that announcement. Nonetheless whenever her name is mentioned my first thought is the content of a spoof Wikipedia entry about her.

'Nadine Dorries is as thick as a Boxing Day turd'
I wondered if it’s a way of getting her name front and centre ……
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:25 pm It's a tricky calculation for those that are plotting to replace him. The new leader doesn't want to walk into a complete shit-storm of issues like covid and the 'where's my Brexit dividend?' and why has my mortgage gone up 5%? etc.
To be fair I think that's the only reason Boris got the job in the first place. And May before him. I can't see either having got the job without brexit.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:37 am
To be fair I think that's the only reason Boris got the job in the first place. And May before him. I can't see either having got the job without brexit.
An opportunity for one of the norms, who didn't want Brexit, to move in. There's no option other than to get on with it now and having someone in charge who's not tarred with the patriotic-oven-ready-nonsense of Boris and his ilk may be able to forger better trade with our EU neighbours.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Ooh it's going all football manager, 'he has the full confidence of the Board', etc.

Boris Johnson not in danger over parties, says Nadhim Zahawi
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60022022
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Horse wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:19 pm Boris Johnson not in danger over parties, says Nadhim Zahawi
The same geezer was interviewed on ITV Breakfast (yeah, sorry) and was repeatedly ask whether BJ should be punished for his clear and obvious rule-breaking. He kept repeating that everyone and anyone should be punished for rule-breaking.
It's rather a peculiar stance - if BJ murdered someone and it turned out he reckoned everyone else had too, does that mean his murdering didn't count? It's an odd logic.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:36 pm
It's rather a peculiar stance - if BJ murdered someone and it turned out he reckoned everyone else had too, does that mean his murdering didn't count? It's an odd logic.
No, he should be sacked, but it also means that you have to sack almost every MP in the house because if you dig deep enough you'll find something - I'm also in favour of that btw.

On that note, I'm not sure how seriously the public are taking it, I think Keith Vaz set the bar for what you can actually get away with several million miles above having a sneaky party in your yard.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:01 pm No, he should be sacked, but it also means that you have to sack almost every MP in the house because if you dig deep enough you'll find something -
He should take it like a man.

He's already mired the accusation in a ridiculously long "investigation" (seriously, just how much evidence and deliberation is necessary?) in an attempt to give himself more time. Presumably more time to desperately find others that have also broken the rules. And presumably so that when other are accused, and are afforded the same level of scrutiny, it can swallow up months of months of time and money until we're all sick of it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:12 pm
Potter wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:01 pm No, he should be sacked, but it also means that you have to sack almost every MP in the house because if you dig deep enough you'll find something -
He should take it like a man.
Iccy, hat.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:36 pm He kept repeating that everyone and anyone should be punished for rule-breaking.
Meh...I'd string this reckless fecker up. He's so brazen about his rule breaking too....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-so ... d-60023560
"Retired GP broke Covid rules to hug bereaved woman at clinic"
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:36 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:19 pm Boris Johnson not in danger over parties, says Nadhim Zahawi
The same geezer was interviewed on ITV Breakfast (yeah, sorry) and was repeatedly ask whether BJ should be punished for his clear and obvious rule-breaking. He kept repeating that everyone and anyone should be punished for rule-breaking.
If he was caught speeding too, we'd all be in the dog-house. On the bright side, the fines would clear the national debt.
Just been reading The Spectator (now I feel like I need a shower, it's the in-house magazine for the swivel-eyed loony contingent) and their reading of the runes is some in the party want him gone before the local elections, some (obviously not local politicians) want to wait and see what happens in the local elections.
The lifting of all restrictions is offered as a 'well, I got us all through the pandemic, time for someone else to carry the burden' honourable resignation opportunity.
However, The Spectator crew can't think of a decent/acceptable/competent replacement either. Sunak gets a mention but has opposition inside the parliamentary party and is very much the new boy. They imply that if Truss is the answer, then the question is wrong. They also say (god help us all) that Patel will run...but only as a bargaining chip for a key post in the aftermath (pray that it's a job that doesn't involve any numbers in more than triple figures). Sneaking up on the inside rail is the runner-up from last time, Jeremy Hunt who, they say, has been stealthily working towards this ever since.

Wonder what the bookies are offering?

Oh, nearly forgot, Keith Vaz. (Can't have a politics post without randomly mentioning him can we?)
Voltaire