#BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Anything you like about motorbikes
Mr. Dazzle
Posts: 7002
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:57 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Has thanked: 1701 times
Been thanked: 3056 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm But most of the time they build Superdreams.
Superdreams is what pays the bills innit?

Same reason Porsche make diesel SUVs and then occasionally throw out a 1000bhp Hybrid supercar they lose money on.
Bustaspoke
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:55 pm
Has thanked: 525 times
Been thanked: 270 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Bustaspoke »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:40 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm But most of the time they build Superdreams.
Superdreams is what pays the bills innit?

Same reason Porsche make diesel SUVs and then occasionally throw out a 1000bhp Hybrid supercar they lose money on.
I thought Honda made their money on Honda Cub sales?
User avatar
Horse
Posts: 6411
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:30 am
Location: Always sunny southern England
Has thanked: 2886 times
Been thanked: 2478 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Horse »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:47 am Looks great in profile, but I notice there are no photos taken from head on, or rear on (ooh, Matron...), 'cos it would just be so ridiculously wide
I can remember the first one I saw. It was like a chromed wall coming along the road.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
demographic
Posts: 1973
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 pm
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?
Has thanked: 930 times
Been thanked: 1075 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by demographic »

Bustaspoke wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:03 pm I thought Honda made their money on Honda Cub sales?
An absolute design classic that shows the NR750 up to be the ridiculous thing that it is.

Utilitarian, unfussy and just gets the job done.
Mr. Dazzle
Posts: 7002
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:57 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Has thanked: 1701 times
Been thanked: 3056 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Bustaspoke wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:03 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:40 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm But most of the time they build Superdreams.
Superdreams is what pays the bills innit?

Same reason Porsche make diesel SUVs and then occasionally throw out a 1000bhp Hybrid supercar they lose money on.
I thought Honda made their money on Honda Cub sales?
I don't mean literally just superdreams

Honda make loads of sensible/boring bikes. Honda are also (i think?) the most successful bike company in the world. Those two things are very much related.

It's part of what gives them the resources to just go nuts sometimes.
Bigjawa
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:54 pm
Location: Burnside, Co. Antrim
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Bigjawa »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:45 pm Sometimes Honda thought "fuck the expense, let's raise the bar".

750 four
CBX
VFR750
NR750
RC30

Etc....
But most of the time they build Superdreams.
Which is exactly what the CBX reminds me of.

What was the name Honda came up with for that styling? Eurostyle or something?

And for every engineering triumph, Honda made some absolute dogs, VF750, CX Turbo, CBX550, CB900F, FT500
etc....
User avatar
Yorick
Posts: 9143
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:20 pm
Location: Paradise
Has thanked: 4338 times
Been thanked: 3472 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Yorick »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:33 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:45 pm Sometimes Honda thought "fuck the expense, let's raise the bar".

750 four
CBX
VFR750
NR750
RC30

Etc....
But most of the time they build Superdreams.
Which is exactly what the CBX reminds me of.

What was the name Honda came up with for that styling? Eurostyle or something?

And for every engineering triumph, Honda made some absolute dogs, VF750, CX Turbo, CBX550, CB900F, FT500
etc....
The CB900 was good and was fantastic on track.
Potter
Posts: 5353
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 1299 times
Been thanked: 2649 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Potter »

I don't like the pipes or seat unit, but everything else is lovely and I'd be happy riding it.
User avatar
Yorick
Posts: 9143
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:20 pm
Location: Paradise
Has thanked: 4338 times
Been thanked: 3472 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Yorick »

I sometimes fancy a custom jobby like that, but they'd never pass the super strict homologation rules here.
User avatar
Dodgy knees
Posts: 2916
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:36 pm
Location: Shrewsbury
Has thanked: 882 times
Been thanked: 916 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Dodgy knees »

I'd be very happy with that in the garage. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande
Posts: 7175
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:40 pm
Location: The road of many manky motorcycles
Has thanked: 412 times
Been thanked: 2372 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:59 am
Bigjawa wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:33 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm

But most of the time they build Superdreams.
Which is exactly what the CBX reminds me of.

What was the name Honda came up with for that styling? Eurostyle or something?

And for every engineering triumph, Honda made some absolute dogs, VF750, CX Turbo, CBX550, CB900F, FT500
etc....
The CB900 was good and was fantastic on track.
If it hadn't had an engine made of cheese it'd have been a really great road bike.
Le_Fromage_Grande
Posts: 7175
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:40 pm
Location: The road of many manky motorcycles
Has thanked: 412 times
Been thanked: 2372 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:06 am I sometimes fancy a custom jobby like that, but they'd never pass the super strict homologation rules here.
They're a pain to live with, and usually don't ride as nice as a standard bike, look cool though, what you need is one bike for riding and 3 for fiddling with, or just taking to shows, which is what most custom bikes are used for.
Bigjawa
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:54 pm
Location: Burnside, Co. Antrim
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Bigjawa »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:32 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:59 am
Bigjawa wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:33 am

Which is exactly what the CBX reminds me of.

What was the name Honda came up with for that styling? Eurostyle or something?

And for every engineering triumph, Honda made some absolute dogs, VF750, CX Turbo, CBX550, CB900F, FT500
etc....
The CB900 was good and was fantastic on track.
If it hadn't had an engine made of cheese it'd have been a really great road bike.
My sentiments exactly, I remember being asked to look at one that was rattling like a bugger. Whole top end was held together with helicoils and silicone.
Dickyboy
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:48 pm
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 168 times

Re: #BOLT40: A HONDA CBX1000 BUILT FOR A WORLD CHAMPION

Post by Dickyboy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:35 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:06 am I sometimes fancy a custom jobby like that, but they'd never pass the super strict homologation rules here.
They're a pain to live with, and usually don't ride as nice as a standard bike, look cool though, what you need is one bike for riding and 3 for fiddling with, or just taking to shows, which is what most custom bikes are used for.
That cbx is 100% the sort of bike I'd have for sunny days and shows, lottery win permitting of course..