Where's Weeksy? Friday Thread 14 Jan

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: Where's Weeksy? Friday Thread 14 Jan

Post by gremlin »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:55 pm Spent most of the day swearing at Volvo as can't get in touch with the dealer (Covid!) and have an annoying issue with the car.
Due to the above my weekend may involve a decent quantity of vino......
You do have to wonder how long companies will be using covid as an excuse for plain ol' shit service.
Tart 1b - robbed of first place by the Mockney Geezer.
Felix

Post by Felix »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:08 pm
v8-powered wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:55 pm Spent most of the day swearing at Volvo as can't get in touch with the dealer (Covid!) and have an annoying issue with the car.
You do have to wonder how long companies will be using covid as an excuse for plain ol' shit service.
Got a customer who has landscapers in. Slate patio, Pergola's, raise the garden to level and fake grass. Job was to be done for Christmas. Flue, funeral and baby sitting excuses have been used so far for no shows and when they do show its just 4/5 hour days. She was told they will be back on the 5th and finished withing the week. Still waiting and got a text to say the boss has covid and the other two dont drive. Slate patio is still to go down but groundwork is done as is floor lights. Fake grass is also still to go down and again groundwork done with just a few tiles to go up on BBQ area. Luckily she only pays as job is getting done what is split into four bills and final one is still to be paid. All the expensive slate patio flooring is just all sitting out on her drive waiting to be nicked and her car out in the street. Aye covid is the new H&S excuse not to work when you cant be arsed.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Friday: out with the missus for lunch as we are both free for the day

Saturday: back to work with a CBT so will see what turns up in the morning if its a day from hell or easy

Sunday: Starting my DAS training at the local test centre so i can do a Mod1 test as i never did one when i got my license 30 something years ago :mrgreen: Might be an idea if i am going to be teaching them :thumbup:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Turns out - Friday afternoon, building a Wireless LAN controller, took 2 hours, which is a bit better than the 38 days we were quoted by a well known media provider
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Felix wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:20 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:08 pm
Got a customer who has landscapers in. Slate patio, Pergola's, raise the garden to level and fake grass. Job was to be done for Christmas. Flue, funeral and baby sitting excuses have been used so far for no shows and when they do show its just 4/5 hour days. She was told they will be back on the 5th and finished withing the week. Still waiting and got a text to say the boss has covid and the other two dont drive. Slate patio is still to go down but groundwork is done as is floor lights. Fake grass is also still to go down and again groundwork done with just a few tiles to go up on BBQ area. Luckily she only pays as job is getting done what is split into four bills and final one is still to be paid. All the expensive slate patio flooring is just all sitting out on her drive waiting to be nicked and her car out in the street. Aye covid is the new H&S excuse not to work when you cant be arsed.
Our garage build started on 21/09, we’ve had the following:
  • Waiting for building control (foundation dig and mesh)
    Rain forecast (concrete going down - it didn’t rain until after the delayed concrete had been poured…)
    No blocks (national shortage)
    Covid
    Storm Arwen
    Delay of roof joists (builder / building control changed design as we got to roof plate level so scheduled slot was missed)
    Getting a family out of a hotel for Christmas
    Early finish for Christmas (21st Dec)
    Covid
    Spark booked out for ages (turned up Wednesday due to cancellation)
    Roofer tied up for next 10 days (here tomorrow)
Plus several bouts of radio silence

Been been assured completion at end of next week which means the following needs sorting:
  • Roof covering, edging, gutters and guttering
    Wall rendered and black jacked
    Ramp / path concreted
    Relief cuts in floor
    Shuttering removed and backfill in garden (not going to push this one as I want a trench full of gravel there to keep water away from building
    Electricity supply connected to house
    Floor scraped and detritus removed
Place bets now!

My weekend

Today: work, feet up, fire on, peaceful night
Tomorrow: hang access door on garage, fit lock and handles, depending on roofer progress, undercoat fascia’s, visit D1 and her new pup, visit D2 and her new pup
Sunday: glaze windows, gloss fascia’s, glazing beads and door
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:25 pmStarting my DAS training at the local test centre so i can do a Mod1 test as i never did one when i got my license 30 something years ago :mrgreen:
Be interested to hear how you get on :)
[ ]
Druid

Post by Druid »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:36 am
"My biggest fear is my wife selling my bike stuff for what I told her I paid for it"! :lol:
I have a load of scuba diving stuff too, same rules apply
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Noggin wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:13 pm
Tomorrow - doing a transfer from Geneva to La Plagne. If I get back in time I might go have a ski. Maybe
Well, that changed!! LOL Much later start, which is kinda nice, but that means a much later finish so no skiing!! Hey ho

A friend with a chalet company rang me yesterday as they've had last minute bookings due to the changes and no transport. I told them to call my boss and now I'm taking people to GVA from their chalet and also bringing 7 people back in!! So that's really good!

Downside is that there is no car wash up here, so the outside still looks a bit yucky from the last trip out. But I'm off to clean the inside from the snowy boots and skis of the shuttle runs the other day - then a coffee - then off to Geneva, attempting not to get speeding tickets this time :o :o :o
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:41 am A different kind of weekend for me as I moved in with my Mum on Monday to assist with her palliative care.

I've got a lot of nervous energy and I'm clearing out her place - not under her nose as that would disturb her, but she was a bit of a hoarder. We never let it get out of control and would regularly persuade her to get rid of stuff which never easy.

I, on the other hand, love clearing out - I bought the car (CRV) as I knew these days were coming. When my children were growing up I'd drop stuff of at the tip on a weekly basis.

So, this evening, I will get my son to help me fill the car and tomorrow I will get to the tip early. And repeat and repeat and repeat.
Not an easy task.

My FiL died last year and it fell to his oldest son to clear the house as we live 200 miles away.

We got down once for my wife to take her pick of any sentimental still she wanted but honestly her relationship with her parents was such that she really didn’t want any reminders at all. However I got into her dad’s tool shed which was like an Aladdin’s cave and came away with a load of stuff.

The sad thing a lot of it was stuff they had collected over the years. Items worth a few quid each if you had time to try and flog it but if you don’t then most of it ends up dumped.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Scotsrich wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:45 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:41 am A different kind of weekend for me as I moved in with my Mum on Monday to assist with her palliative care.

I've got a lot of nervous energy and I'm clearing out her place - not under her nose as that would disturb her, but she was a bit of a hoarder. We never let it get out of control and would regularly persuade her to get rid of stuff which never easy.

I, on the other hand, love clearing out - I bought the car (CRV) as I knew these days were coming. When my children were growing up I'd drop stuff of at the tip on a weekly basis.

So, this evening, I will get my son to help me fill the car and tomorrow I will get to the tip early. And repeat and repeat and repeat.
Not an easy task.

My FiL died last year and it fell to his oldest son to clear the house as we live 200 miles away.

We got down once for my wife to take her pick of any sentimental still she wanted but honestly her relationship with her parents was such that she really didn’t want any reminders at all. However I got into her dad’s tool shed which was like an Aladdin’s cave and came away with a load of stuff.

The sad thing a lot of it was stuff they had collected over the years. Items worth a few quid each if you had time to try and flog it but if you don’t then most of it ends up dumped.
I cleared out some of her clothes today which was hard as she was always well dressed and some of them she made. Next time my brother visits (he is 300 miles away) I'll get a skip for all the garden stuff. When she goes we'll take a few things that mean something to us and then hire a house clearance. When I realised she was very ill a couple of years ago, it was like standing in the shadow of a huge mountain which I knew I'd have to climb one day as there's no way round it. The journey has started.
Lockdown refugee
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Friday: Took a funeral (covering for a Priest with covid) and then visited family of young man whose funeral and burial I am taking in two weeks. Spent the evening with the Lamplighters (young children's youth group). Used the bike to do visits and get to Church as for some reason traffic was very bad in our local area.

Saturday: Dropped daughter off for eye test. She managed to get frame/lenses in NHS price range, so voucher covered the lot!! First time in years! Working on an assignment that is due on Tuesday, so I have to get it finished as much as possible today and do some referencing... Polished the bike front mudguard, it looks better than the one on the bike, so that is a good thing. I need to let the paint cure for longer before I put it on the bike.

Sunday, 9am Holy Communion at a church where I am covering for a vicar who had to have emergency eye surgery, detached retina. Then service at 10.30am, 4pm taking Holy Communion and 6.30pm taking Holy Communion. So I'm fairly busy.
Monday is full of meetings.
Funeral on Tuesday, for a 95 year old lady.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Horse wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:37 pm
Bigyin wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:25 pmStarting my DAS training at the local test centre so i can do a Mod1 test as i never did one when i got my license 30 something years ago :mrgreen:
If it was under test conditions i passed, no Minors .....even managed to hit 54 kmh on first pass on the avoidance on a bike i had never ridden before :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Interesting how much is involved in it in such a short space of time and how quick 54 kmh feels when flying between some narrow cones as there is little reference for actual speed as the bike feels like its revving high in 2nd gear.

I knew all the elements and had watched a couple from distance but never actually taught or done one before
Felix

Post by Felix »

Bigyin wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:45 pm
Horse wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:37 pm
If it was under test conditions i passed, no Minors .....even managed to hit 54 kmh on first pass on the avoidance on a bike i had never ridden before :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Interesting how much is involved in it in such a short space of time and how quick 54 kmh feels when flying between some narrow cones as there is little reference for actual speed as the bike feels like its revving high in 2nd gear.

I knew all the elements and had watched a couple from distance but never actually taught or done one before
86 i passed mine and the instructor was a traffic bike copper who drove a white TR7 what looked gay as fuck. Probably a nicer car if it was black.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Felix wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:53 pm

86 i passed mine and the instructor was a traffic bike copper who drove a white TR7 what looked gay as fuck. Probably a nicer car if it was black.
All traffic cops are suspect for assorted reasons ;) :mrgreen:

My eldest stepson has just passed his Mod 1 and Mod 2 .....he hated the Mod 1 apart from the avoidance as he could "go quicker and chuck the bike about a bit" :thumbup:

Bike and leathers shopping time for him next ;)
Felix

Post by Felix »

Bigyin wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:23 pm
All traffic cops are suspect for assorted reasons ;) :mrgreen:
No him the car. Saying that he was blond and short hair with a white TR7. TBF he also looked like the guy out the Rock Horror :D