Moto Guzzi V7 II Special

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
KungFooBob

Moto Guzzi V7 II Special

Post by KungFooBob »

Everyone else is at it and I do love my Guzzi so...

The story is I fancied something less bland than my Tiger 800XC. The Tiger was a very competent bike, but it didn't really excel in any one area, it just had no soul.

I'd recently purchased a Royal Enfield Bullet 500 EFI and loved it, it was just quirky and characterful, I was riding it all the time, the Tiger wasn't getting a look in, the problem was the Bullet was a bit slow, it's kind of like a really torquey 125.

So the search was on for a 'characterful' bike that I would want to ride and could handle a bit of distance and overtakes.

Via-Moto in Sheffield had a V7, I liked the idea of a small capacity V-Twin, I used to love my Bros 20 odd years ago. A deal was done and my 2014 Tiger with 5,000 miles on the clock was exchanged for a 2015 V7 II Special with 2,500 miles.

The ride home took in the Sheffield Parkway, it's a proper bumpy MF, my spine was taking a hammering, other than that it all felt good.

Took the wife out the next day, she hated it. The grab rails were too low, the suspension was kicking her out of the seat. That afternoon I had a good look at the rear shocks, they were aftermarket Hagon Nitro's, but the previous owner had set the pre-load to minimum and the damping/compression to the lowest setting!

I wound everything up a bit and suddenly the handling got a shed load better and the spine was only taking a beating from the larger potholes and bumps... the next day LOCKDOWN. I'd only managed 120 miles on the bike, it was SORN'ed.

June 1st... some lockdown restrictions are lifted, I tax the Guzzi and since then I've got the mileage up to just over 3,500. 1000 miles in just under 3 months. I've not done that type of mileage on a bike for years.

Bad Points...

The suspension still isn't right, with the rider sag set there's no static sag and it still bottoms out over medium bumps. Next payday I'll probably invest in some heavier springs.

When the engine is cold the fuelling is a bit dodgy, it's got a black box fitted that is supposed to sort it, so I hate to think how bad it would be without it.

The clutch doesn't have much in the way of feel, it's a single plate dry clutch, just like a car.

The MC leaks a tiny amount of DOT4 out of a little vent in the top cover, the tinternet says they all do that and the cover off an older model will fix it... at £35!

I've once had it push a small amount of gearbox oil out of the vent one the top of the motor, it's only happened once, on a very warm day after it had been thrashed, so I'll let it off.

Good points...

The paint, the chrome all the stuff you touch or look at feels premium.

Shaft drive, why have I never had a bike with a shaft before... they're the future I tell you!
No lube everywhere, no adjustment and no chain noise!

On a smoothish road it handles greats, chicken strips are gone, I'm worrying about grounding the lowish pipes out, it's loads lighter than a T00 and it's even lighter than the 650 Enfield.

The motor is great, below 4k it's a lumpy, clanky, rattly air cooled twin valve, pushrod motor... character :)
Above 4k it turns into a turbine, smooths right out, keep it spinning between 4 and 6k and you can make real progress, taking it over 6k to the 7.5k redline is pointless, the power drops right off.

It's got Brembo brakes with ABS, the front caliper is the same four piston caliper fitted to most older Ducati's and there's braided lines as stock, one or two finger braking is the norm now.

The speedo and rev counter have a clock and an air temp gauge, nice!

Future plans....

If the wife ever gets a job I might spend a few quid on it, it needs the rear springs. I quite fancy putting some loud pipes on it, Mistrals seem to be the pipe of choice, but they're a bit spendy.

There's a kit that does away with the rear mudguard, that combined with a humped sports seat. would look good, but then it would need clip-on's to look the part and I love the current ergos.

I need to buy a tourer at some point for a trip next summer, I'm enjoying the Guzzi experience so much I might just get a Stelvio.
Last edited by KungFooBob on Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Supermofo

Re: Moto Guzzi V7 II Special

Post by Supermofo »

An old neighbour had a V7 the first model in white. He offered me a go as I said I'd always fancied a V7 but I never got round to it before he moved :( I should try and get a test ride one day. I think I'd like one as a second bike as I still want something sporty so can't see it happening anytime soon, but maybe one day.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

There's a few subtle differences between the V7 and the V7 II (the III is a lot different).

The II has ABS and traction along with 6 gears and an easier clutch pull... the thing that's not so obvious is the engine, its rotated a few degrees in the frame.

For me the original V7 always looked like the front of the engine was sitting high and the cylinder heads weren't parallel with the lines of the tank, the front of the engine on the II sits lower, it all looks a lot neater and for tall people like me, my knees don't touch the cylinder heads.

The three gets a few more BHP and the shock top mounts are totally different.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Seen this? I know its the III but tested against the RE and Street Twin

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I have, it was posted in the V7 UK friend face group.

I've not watched it properly, I tried it with subtitles, but got bored, might give it another try.

I think they liked the Trumpet best?
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

As an all round motorbike they liked the Trumpet best especially as an only bike. But it was more expensive and not as much character as the others. They also said the Triumph made you want to ride faster, whereas as the others were better as relaxed weekend feel good bikes. Don't think the Guzzi colour was the best though, much before yours. That was about it I think. I hadn't watched it when I posted, but Mrs went to bed early so watched before I went to sleep.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It's the council spec 'Stone' model I think.

It's got cast wheels and only one dial.

I really wanted proper spoked wheels, not sure why.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:43 am As an all round motorbike they liked the Trumpet best especially as an only bike. But it was more expensive and not as much character as the others. They also said the Triumph made you want to ride faster, whereas as the others were better as relaxed weekend feel good bikes. Don't think the Guzzi colour was the best though, much before yours. That was about it I think. I hadn't watched it when I posted, but Mrs went to bed early so watched before I went to sleep.
I still don't quite 'get' the weekend relxing bike, where you go out and ride at the pace of traffic. I'm all for the odd moments of cruising, but it ultimately becomes frustrating unless you're giving it a bit.
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:50 am
Supermofo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:43 am They also said the Triumph made you want to ride faster, whereas as the others were better as relaxed weekend feel good bikes.
I still don't quite 'get' the weekend relxing bike, where you go out and ride at the pace of traffic. I'm all for the odd moments of cruising, but it ultimately becomes frustrating unless you're giving it a bit.
Best, surely, and rather than making it easy, is thrashing a totally unsuitable bike? :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I thrash the tits off my little Guzzi.

Being under 50bhp you have to work it, you've got to keep the revs between 4 and 6k you've got to keep the corner speed up and get on the throttle a quickly as possible, but... even after all that you're only just breaking the law. Do it on a 100+ bhp bike and you're in prison territory.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Do you automatically get an audition for Heartbeat when you buy one of these?
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:53 am
Supermofo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:43 am They also said the Triumph made you want to ride faster, whereas as the others were better as relaxed weekend feel good bikes.
Best, surely, and rather than making it easy, is thrashing a totally unsuitable bike? :)
Kind of yes, kind of no. I've done the unsuitable bike with the KTM390 and i guess the XT660X, all it means is that you end up making more stupid overtakes instead. Especially if out with others because you need to use the overtakes to your advantage to either pull out a gap to stop them getting bored or to catch up the ground you've lost. So you not only thrash it more, but you ride like a complete idiot.
At least with a bit more power you have the choice in how you want to play it.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:01 am Do you automatically get an audition for Heartbeat when you buy one of these?
That only comes with LE ownership.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:43 am As an all round motorbike they liked the Trumpet best especially as an only bike. But it was more expensive and not as much character as the others. They also said the Triumph made you want to ride faster, whereas as the others were better as relaxed weekend feel good bikes. Don't think the Guzzi colour was the best though, much before yours. That was about it I think. I hadn't watched it when I posted, but Mrs went to bed early so watched before I went to sleep.
Me neither yet, hence I'd want the Guzzi as a 2nd bike. I see the appeal at times on country lanes of just enjoying a bit of bend swinging and taking in the atmos rather than being in attack mode. But I do attack mode as a default mainly, I can't help it.

Then again KFB just does attack mode on the V7 which proves you can do it on any bike I guess. From the vid the Triumph encourages this type of riding, whereas on the other 2 it's possible but not necessarily it's natural inclination.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:01 am Do you automatically get an audition for Heartbeat when you buy one of these?

I was in Goathland yesterday, pissing down so went for a hilly, windy, wet drive. Staying in Whitby, very nice place. Had a pedal on the 'Cinder track' Sunday, down to Robin Hood Bay. Nice but pokey and very hilly. Ebike is smiling. :thumbup:
Yamaha rocket 3
G.P

Post by G.P »

All this needs is the motor out of the 85TT.
80 bhp would be much more fun, especially for motorway runs and 2 up touring etc. it would also give it performance like the original 1000s who's paint job it shares :)
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

I just had a good look at the MG website to get a taste of the bike. Seems their marketing dept is stuck in the 1970s.

The website has almost no details, photos or configurator. There's a single brochure download option. Quaint, you think, but maybe there's a nice glossy PDF with all the deets that they can't be bothered to put on the website. Get this, you actually have to sign up to be emailed the brochure...

Sorry to nitpick, but they don't seem that interested in selling bikes.

*Goes off to play with configurators elsewhere*
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

G.P wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:36 am All this needs is the motor out of the 85TT.
80 bhp would be much more fun, especially for motorway runs and 2 up touring etc. it would also give it performance like the original 1000s who's paint job it shares :)
But then they couldn't sell it to 20 year old hipsters with beards who only have an A2 license.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:43 am https://www.motoguzzi.com/uk_EN/moto/cl ... cial-MY19/

What's wrong with that?
Well, two things.... :)

Firstly, it still doesn't have a configurator... there are some photos and some specs at least though, but it's nothing like as good as their competitors have.

Secondly, that isn't the site I was looking at! :) They've actually made a different mistake here. I googled 'Moto Guzzi V7' and went straight to a V7-based microsite they've set up - with no way of navigating to the main site it seems, they've made it a dead end. So anyone curious about the V7 specifically, like me, won't even find the main site or, ironically, the details and photos that don't appear on the microsite.